Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

U2 singer Bono, who heads up the (Product) RED charity Apple has collaborated with since 2006, today announced (via TechCrunch) Apple has raised more than $65 million to fight AIDS in Africa.

Since it first debuted a special edition (Product) RED iPod nano in 2006, Apple has released a number of (RED) devices, including several iPod nanos and shuffles. The company has also produced a (RED) iPad Smart Cover, iPad mini Smart Cover, and an iPhone Bumper, along with a new (RED) iPhone 5s case. For every (RED) product bought, Apple donates a portion of the purchase price to the charity.

producted.jpg
(RED) works with companies like Apple to fight for an AIDS-free generation by 2015 by creating (PRODUCT) RED merchandise. A percentage of gross profits from the sale of those products goes to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa.
(Product) RED is affiliated with several other companies in addition to Apple, including Starbucks, Nike, and American Express, raising more than $200 million to date.

Article Link: Apple Has Raised $65 Million for (Product) RED Fight Against AIDS

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I haven't contributed yet, but I might have to with a case or cover for the iPad 5. That red is striking.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
A Product Red iPhone would be incredibly tempting, at least for me.

EDIT: Ghostface beat me to it!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is really cool, but what's with the random parentheses and capitalization in the name? Never understood that.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I have the red iPad mini cover and I'm getting the new red case for the iPhone delivered tomorrow. I don't think I've ever bought any other RED product from Apple.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
while that sounds commendable and all, the whole product red thing seems somehow trendy rather than effective. i remember reading last year that pr spend 100 in advertising for every 20 it actually spends on aids prevention.

seems like there are better charities to get this work done than something that gives less than 20% to its end recipients...

But DAMN is that red sexy!

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
I was prepared to say that the amount didn't seem like a lot given the size of Apple, but then when I saw that the total amount raised by the charity was just over $200MM, Apple is a considerable chunk. Good work to Apple and the people who purchase the (Red) products.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I was prepared to say that the amount didn't seem like a lot given the size of Apple, but then when I saw that the total amount raised by the charity was just over $200MM, Apple is a considerable chunk. Good work to Apple and the people who purchase the (Red) products.

It's amazing that a third of the money has come from Apple. To the poster who stated that too much of the money goes to overhead, I a agree but awareness is a major result of Project Red. Also, aids rates are down substantially across the world.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Heavily considering the red case for my black iPhone 5. I actually prefer my phone naked but am constantly drawn toward cases, if that makes any sense at all. And I'm a sucker for red and leather, though never in clothing.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
He said the iPhone, not the iPhone case. I'm assuming he means a red 5C. Which I also think would be fantastic. I was highly considering getting one of those until I realized all their colors were typical apple crap.
I think they're worse than typical. :(

I like the iPod touch colors much more. Which interestingly enough also features a Product RED version. Go figure...

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
This is good, for Apple helping in the fight against AIDS. I have yet to purchase a PRODUCT (RED) device, but I plan to eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.