Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is a continuation of this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1120467/

http://www.apple.com/jobs/collegeadvisor/

Seems like a sweet gig for a college student. Anyone here doing it?

-------------

Timeline:
-Applied at the end of August like the 28/29th
-Sept 26 got an email saying that they needed my resume (which i thought I posted when i first did my application)
- I got an email Oct 30 asking to set up an interview.
-Interview nov 4th
-Second interview nov 7th
-I finally heard back yesterday nov 18 saying they want to move on with the background check and contingent upon that we will move forward with the next steps getting me set up.

Tips:
-Based upon that timeline don't worry if they don't get back to you in a week or two. It took me 3 months and I still won't officially start in january.
-dont worry yourself on making sure you know to many tech questions..I really feel like they want people who are at good a customer service and are willing to learn..
-Use this forum like the bible and other forums as far as interview questions and experiences with the process.
-Email the recruiters if you have any question (who ever sent the interview sign up email) they actually answer. (you're suppose to attend a virtual interview and on the application i entered I didn't because at that time filling it out I didn't. So i emailed the recruiter about it and they got back to me with in 1 hour maybe).

Here are some questions i got off of this website actually and i promise you that these are the question you won't get asked all of them maybe 3 or 4 but these are it!

1). What would you do if your MacBook wasn't powering on?

2). What would you do if USB device won't connect?

3). What type of CPU do you have and what hardware does it have?

4). How to fix Mac mail?

5). Hard drive memory vs RAM?

6). Define Wifi, hotspot, Bluetooth?

7). Troubleshoot a wireless printer that won't connect

8). How to restore deleted app?

9). Describe a situation where you had to boot CPU in safe mode?

10). Someone drops an iPhone and it won't turn on what do you say?

11). How do you keep yourself in a positive attitude when you're stressed?

12). What is empathy?

13). What is a hard drive?

14). How do you delete, move and create a group with an app on your iPhone?

15). When have you set a goal, accomplished something, and how did you over come the obstacles?

16). You attempt to sync and iPhone to iTunes, what do you do?

17). What is an operating system?

18). Why do you want to work for apple?

19). How would you troubleshoot an iPod?

20). What steps would you take if your Internet was not working but you had to start working in 3 minutes?

21). What is the most recent technical issue you've had with your computer and how did you fix it?

22). How do you think you will handle working from home without any coworkers

Background check completed yesterday received my offer call just a few minutes ago! Start jan.13th iOS if I'm not mistaken. Waiting on email to schedule paperwork session

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
It's been about a month since I applied, any advice on how long I should wait before applying again?

Lina87

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Going great!

This was my first full week live and it went awesome!! I have worked at home for almost 6 years and this was by far the best training I have ever had and they support you through the entire process. I work iTunes Chat Full-Time and don't think I could ask for a better job. The pay and benefits are amazing and love the job so far.... :apple:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Never got a confirmation email or anything from a recruiter after applying 3 or 4 different times over the last 6 months. :(

abananas

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Never got a confirmation email or anything from a recruiter after applying 3 or 4 different times over the last 6 months. :(

Have you tried going over your resume again, sending a cover letter (and looking over that again if you have previously), and highlighting qualifications that might be specific to the areas they are looking for?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Have you tried going over your resume again, sending a cover letter (and looking over that again if you have previously), and highlighting qualifications that might be specific to the areas they are looking for?

I don't have a cover letter. But I doubt that would stop me from even getting a message from a recruiter or something.

floridagators19

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
This was my first full week live and it went awesome!! I have worked at home for almost 6 years and this was by far the best training I have ever had and they support you through the entire process. I work iTunes Chat Full-Time and don't think I could ask for a better job. The pay and benefits are amazing and love the job so far.... :apple:

Hi! I start chat in January! I have a few questions if you could email me. floridagators19999@gmail.com Thanks!

AngelinaNyx

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Hasnt been long

I applied Nov 13. I see so many variations of when people are called for the first time. I have a resume and cover letter in tip top shape. So hopefully I will hear something by the New Year. I did notice they post the positions every Monday on Apple's job site so they are still looking. :) so hopefully something soon!

abananas

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
I don't have a cover letter. But I doubt that would stop me from even getting a message from a recruiter or something.

You might want to reconsider your opinion on cover letters. Cover letters show recruiters that you are motivated while giving them a shorter paragraph to determine if your resume is even worth a skim.

Keep in mind that if you aren't submitting a cover letter when everyone else is it doesn't make your resume more appealing, whereas if you send in a cover letter and others aren't it will make you stand out.

gtb

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
previous Apple AHA hire want re-hire :)

about 7 months ago, I was hired by Apple as an AHA employee, but failed my final exam by a few points due to missing vital class time because of family emergency/illness. I was told by my training manager during my exit interview that I was one of his top contributors, and was very surprised that I failed my final exam. I have re-applied for the same AHA position, but am not getting any response, as the position keeps getting reposted weekly. have any previous AHA employees failed their exams, and then have been rehired at a later time, or is this a lost cause in most cases? any advice would be great, would love to be re-hired. thanks.

AngelinaNyx

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Job Reposting

Yea I notice they have been re-posting the jobs but I haven't really heard anyone has started to be called. I applied 11/13 (job posted date was like 28Oct) so I assumed it would take some time but it has reposted 2 times since I have applied. So I wonder how long the process is just for the initial first contact call? :confused:

AppleLv

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Jan 13 Start Date--iOS

How many of us on here have been selected to start Jan 13 on the iOS team?

I had my paperwork session this week and I believe there were about 50 people on the call.

iosgeek

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
How many of us on here have been selected to start Jan 13 on the iOS team?

I had my paperwork session this week and I believe there were about 50 people on the call.

I was on the call as well! I start the 13th iOS

Chippie1013

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
about 7 months ago, I was hired by Apple as an AHA employee, but failed my final exam by a few points due to missing vital class time because of family emergency/illness. I was told by my training manager during my exit interview that I was one of his top contributors, and was very surprised that I failed my final exam. I have re-applied for the same AHA position, but am not getting any response, as the position keeps getting reposted weekly. have any previous AHA employees failed their exams, and then have been rehired at a later time, or is this a lost cause in most cases? any advice would be great, would love to be re-hired. thanks.

Yes, same thing happened to me. It took me a year to get rehired but I didn't give up and am now working and loving it. Hang in there!

Jazzabelle44

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Hi, this thread has some great information and am delighted to have come across it! I sent in an application 2 weeks ago for an AHA for iOS. I received an email back last week with a couple if questions confirming eligibility and language skills and when I sent off the reply I got an email the next day saying that they would be in touch within the next week or two to "commence recruitment process"

I've been doing some research on the role and the company and trying to go over some possibile questions that might be asked so to find this thread with the previously asked questions has been great!

Just wanted to touch base here and say that I'm waiting first interview stage and fingers crossed for the future!

Reactions: aNe082104

swigganicks

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Hey guys, I saw that list of questions posted at the end of the last thread (and the first post in this thread) and thought I'd take a shot at answering these off the top of my head with no prior research. I have my interview in a few days (in the middle of my finals :( oh well) so I'd like if someone could check my answers and tell me if they're on point. Maybe this will be helpful for anyone else too. If you have a different answer or phrasing, let's discuss it!

1). What would you do if your MacBook wasn't powering on?

Check if it was out of power and plug it in if this was the case (check for the simplest solution first) If it was plugged in already, then there may be an issue with the power chord. I'd ensure that it was fully connected to the wall. If that didn't work I'd try another power cord. All else failing, I'd bring it into the Apple Store since there may be a more serious underlying issue.

2). What would you do if USB device won't connect?

Unplug all USB devices and try every port. Otherwise I'd check Disk Utility to see if it's showing up at all. Could potentially be a power issue with too many USB devices plugged in.

(Does anybody know a better answer to this?)

3). What type of CPU do you have and what hardware does it have?

Answer depends on your computer

4). How to fix Mac mail?

Hmm...There are many issues you could get with Mail. Identify the specific issue first and then respond accordingly. For example, a common one is not being able to send or receive messages. This could be a problem with your Email provider (e.g. gmail, yahoo, iCloud, etc.) Do a quick search to see if anything is wrong on their side. Another common reason is server issues that Mail deals with, namely outgoing SMTP servers (IIRC.) Try seeing which servers aren't responding, all of them or just some? If it's isolated problem, just try reconfiguring the specific accounts to use the correct outgoing/incoming servers.

5). Hard drive memory vs RAM?

Both are data storing pieces of hardware, the main difference is how fast information is accessed. RAM is faster and temporarily holds memory that's in use currently. RAM is volatile memory storage compared to Hard drives which are meant for long term storage and have slower read/write times.

(how specific should I get?)

6). Define Wifi, hotspot, Bluetooth?

Wifi - Wireless internet.
Hotspot - Usually an area with which Wifi is available to connect
Bluetooth - Locally wireless connections between devices

7). Troubleshoot a wireless printer that won't connect

Check the wifi connection is working first. Make sure the printer has the wifi configured to the same network as your device you're trying to print from. That doesn't work? Try deleting the network and reconfiguring it.

8). How to restore deleted app?

All apps can be found in the purchased section of your App store app or iTunes. You can re-download it from there.

9). Describe a situation where you had to boot CPU in safe mode?

(I know a lot of you may never had occasion to do this, I think it's weird they would ask this but whatever)

I had some trouble with installing Windows via Bootcamp and eventually decided to just delete the partition entirely. I wasn't entirely sure that I had messed something up so I started up in safe mode to see if there was anything wrong and get a diagnosis if there was.

10). Someone drops an iPhone and it won't turn on what do you say?

I'm very sorry about your phone. Lets see if we can get it working again. If the buttons are still in ok shape, try doing a hard reset. If that fails, I'd recommend bringing it in to the Apple store. If you have an Applecare plan, we can replace it for you, but unfortunately we won't be able to replace it if you're on the limited warranty.

(not entirely sure what the replacement policy is, just saying what I remember from my specific situation)

11). How do you keep yourself in a positive attitude when you're stressed?

I calm down first and then do some positive affirmations in my head. It's simple, but it keeps me going in stressful situations, no matter what they may be.

12). What is empathy?

The ability to recognize the feelings and well being of another person as important as your own.

13). What is a hard drive?

A hard drive is a piece of hardware meant for long term storage of data.

14). How do you delete, move and create a group with an app on your iPhone?

Delete - press and hold on any app until they all start shaking, tap the 'x' on the app you wish to delete
Move - same as above except tap and drag the app to where you want it to go
Group - same as moving an app except this time move it directly over another app icon and a folder will be created.

15). When have you set a goal, accomplished something, and how did you over come the obstacles?

Personal question, choose an example that really highlights you. Make one up if you have too, but don't go overboard and be believable and genuine. Even if it's small example, it's still worth it if it showcases you.

16). You attempt to sync and iPhone to iTunes, what do you do?

Plug it in and look for the device in iTunes. Make whatever changes you want and click "apply"

17). What is an operating system?

Device level software that handles the interaction of software and hardware and allows for user input to control the system.

18). Why do you want to work for apple?

Personal question! We all have our reasons, be genuine. Make sure you emphasize specifically what it is about Apple that makes you want to work there. For me, it's quite simply all about helping people. I do it anyways so why not do it in an official capacity with Apple, a company know for it's outstanding customer service?

19). How would you troubleshoot an iPod?

First make sure it's fully charged. Most issues can be resolved with just resetting it.

20). What steps would you take if your Internet was not working but you had to start working in 3 minutes?

Hmmm...I'd try resetting the network while calling my advisor and letting them know about my internet issues.

(I honestly don't know the correct protocol in this situation)

21). What is the most recent technical issue you've had with your computer and how did you fix it?

I haven't had any issues for a long ass time so I'd make one up that showcases my ability to troubleshoot the problem. If you have your own personal problem then that's great, use that.

22). How do you think you will handle working from home without any coworkers

Although I do like face-to-face interaction, I can operate by myself pretty efficiently. I'd treat it like any other workplace really. I'd show up on time and ready to work, just as if my coworkers were there.

So there are my tentative answers. I'm not a tech genius, but I use Apple products on the daily for both personal and professional reasons so I tried to answer using my own experiences. Do you guys have better optimal answers for these type of questions? I know every interview is different, but I'd imagine seeing questions along the lines of these one, if not the same ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wide opeN

Chippie1013

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
It's been about a month since I applied, any advice on how long I should wait before applying again?

I applied to each and every posting in my area every time one came up! I've been here a month now and it is more amazing that I even dreamed!

Reactions: aNe082104

swigganicks

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Did Apple contact any of your references that you provided? I only have like 1-2 solid references and not sure what do for the 3rd since it's required on the application.

Gators1

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Hello all,

I applied for the AHA position back in September. After it hit December I figured I would never get a call. But Wednesday I finally got one from the corporate office #. The lady was very nice and asked if I had 10 minutes to talk with her. I of course said yes.

She asked me some basic questions, went over when the Training would be(Feb.), hours, etc. Made sure I had no conflicts. Told me it would be 40 hours at a pay that was more then I figured. She also asked if I had certs.

She then went through a few role playing scenarios.

At the end she asked if I had any more questions before the phone convo ended? I initially said no, and as she was about to hang up I asked when I would know if I was moving on in the process? She then told me she liked me and would move me on. She set me up with an interview for next week. Maybe that's what they are looking for is you asking what the next step is? I feel like she wasn't going to move me on had I not asked before hanging up, but who knows because she mentioned a couple times she liked my answers.

She did tell me to touch up on a few things before my next interview. She mentioned sometimes I would go into to much detail or that the customers wouldn't know what I was talking about with a few things.

The thing I thought that was odd is that she couldn't tell me what project they are hiring for? She said it would be dedicated but she wasn't sure for what. Does anyone know what they are hiring for? I really want ios or iTunes chat as I'm experienced there but don't know a whole lot about Mac's.

Any pointers for the FaceTime interview and for anyone that has been hired did any of you get days? I would rather work days then nights as my spouse is a school teacher who gets home around 5 everyday and we like having dinner together. They did tell me I would work 1 weekend day which I'm okay with.

gtb

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
Yes, same thing happened to me. It took me a year to get rehired but I didn't give up and am now working and loving it. Hang in there!

Yes, I really hope they call me back for re-hire. I know there are classes starting in January, and now February because of this great thread. I hope to get into any AHA training session available, but I would prefer iOS. I was so close before. :) I hope I don't have to wait 12 months!! :)

swigganicks

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Hey all, here's some tips for those of you who are nervous about role playing or just how to be good at customer service:

Just contact Apple Support line!

It's easy. Make up a problem (I pretended my iPad wouldn't turn on) and google it to see what people with the actual problem were complaining about. Then go online and contact Apple support and get a person to talk to you. Pretend to be a clueless, frustrated customer but also be aware of how they're dealing with you. If you wondering how you should respond in certain situations, just act it out and see how they respond. You can do this multiple times (nobody verifies anything) and you'll gain a great understanding of how this job works and better prepare you for the interviews. Emulate what works and who better to emulate than people that have already got this job?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: Wide opeN

Gators1

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Maps

Just finished my 2nd interview. It went really well. The lady was the nicest lady I've ever interviewed with in my life. She made it an enjoyable experience and was so friendly to me.

She threw me off on a few questions as they weren't anything I had seen listed before. She wanted me to go into detail on what POP3 & imap are. She also wanted me to go into detail on what RAM is and the differences between RAM and a Hard-Drive are. I don't think I gave her the right answer on the email one but that's my weak point. I honestly don't think she cared because I stressed Customer Service & my love for Apple products.

That's the key here folks. DO NOT be a no it all. DO NOT say you prefer Windows. And DO NOT say anything that will make them think you don't care about the customer.

If you mention you like Apple, you care about customers, and you know how to show empathy, I really don't think much else matters. They will train you.

Anyways, the interview went great. She told me at the end she liked me and was moving me on to the final stage. I figured I would get the "you will get an email" line but I didn't. She said she wanted me to move on ASAP and to have a happy holiday and that was that. 20 min interview.

Final interview is not until January because of the holidays and my first day would be Feb 24th.

I won't say the exact hourly rate but I will say that it's more then $13/hr. The rate combined with it being work from home, them giving you $50 back for net/phone, the benefits, the discount, etc. I think make the compensation very fair.

My interview says it will be for MAPS which I guess is something newer they started. IF anyone works on MAPS project and wants to chime in please do as I wasn't expecting it. Although I did find a job description online and if this is correct it seems like it's more Testing and outbound then consecutive inbound calls so I think I would enjoy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.