16GB iPhone 6 Plus or 128 GB iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacTechnics, Sep 27, 2014.

1. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I know there have been many threads before asking about peoples' choices but I need advice. I appreciate anyone who can help.

I have a 16GB 6+. I don't keep much music/photos/videos/apps on my phone. I use my phone for lots of use with wifi, whether it be streaming videos/movies/live TV, web browsing, social media posting, etc. But this time around, it seems 16GB just isn't enough for the simple fact that iOS8 takes up so much space already right out the box, and I fear that subsequent updates will too, making space a HUGE problem.

I have until Friday to exchange my phone. 6+ stock here in NYC is limited. I have found stores that have it, and then try to get there in time only for it not to be in stock when I do. I can't reserve one online, or put on hold in the store with the exchange process and have to basically just get lucky.

I can get an iPhone 6 128GB pretty easily, but LOVE the screen and battery life on the 6+. I feel like I'm not going to find a 6+ in 64GB or 128GB so I'm not sure what to do. Keep my 16GB or get a 6 in 128GB. Thoughts?

2. makinbiscuits macrumors member

Me personally I would return the 16gb+ and order the 128gb+ and just wait for it but in a case where you cannot wait (for whatever reason) I would go with the 128gb 6. I love the large screen but in this day and age I just could not live with that little bit of storage capacity.

3. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

I might be able to wait for it, not sure. I would have to probably rock a 4S for like 3-4 weeks (I don't think I'd get one before November at this point if I ordered it.) Thanks for the advice, tho...If I do get the 6, it would have to be 128GB to feel like it was some kind of an upgrade, at least. The 6+ to me seems like such a huge upgrade from the 5 and that's what's also so appealing to me. Both the 6 and 6+ are nice tho IMO.

4. julesgold macrumors regular

I like the 6+ better, but I'd take a 128gb over a 16gb+ any time!!! :D

5. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually if I wait it might mess up my upgrade cycle if the 7 is released in Sept 2016, so waiting might not work. Maybe I can deal with the 128GB 6 and sell it next year and get a 6S+. And then sell the 6S+ and get the 7. LOL. Oh the first world problems

6. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

7. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Last year I wanted to upgrade to 64GB from my preordered 32GB 5s but could not find available stock during my 14-day return window despite numerous attempts. I went to the Apple store on my last day to return/exchange and told them my dilemma and they made a note in my account to allow for a penalty-free exchange when the higher storage capacity phone became available, which ended up being about 10 days later. Try this approach by calling Apple or going into an Apple store before your 14 day return period expires. Hopefully they will work with you. It's to their benefit as they want to make the higher profIt. Make sure they clear it with your carrier as well so there is no problem on their end. You can then check the Apple Store app each night about an hour after your local store closes for stock available for pickup. That's how I found mine, reserved it, and went in for my exchange.

8. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice! Thank you for that, I'll definitely see what they can do. Also, did you reserve over the phone? Cause they told me I can't online if it's an exchange.

9. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Keep the 6 plus. You'll manage with the space. Or reorder use your 4 until it comes in. More screen real estate so much better.

10. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

16GB space is sooooo small, I had no idea it's really like 11.8 out the box. SMH. Not sure if I can do that. But that screen and battery life, though. Sigh

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

The OP said he doesn't keep much music, photos or videos on his phone so it makes no sense to downgrade to the 4.7" iPhone 6 just because it has more storage he won't even use.
    OP, by downgrading to the 4.7" iPhone 6 from the 6 Plus you're giving up battery life, 1080 screen resolution, optical image stabilization, landscape mode on desktop and enhanced landscape mode for email and iMessage, and of course the larger screen.

For me after I received my 6Plus I went to the Apple Store and saw the 4.7" iPhone 6. It was like night and day. It feels too small and not much of an upgrade from the 5S. If anything try harder and look for a 64GB 6 Plus.

12. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

True...I don't want iOS8 to eat up ALL my space tho lol I'm afraid the updates will take up a huge chunk of it, unless I'm wrong...

13. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

16GB iPhone 6 Plus or 128 GB iPhone 6

Too bad Apple got ride of the 32 GB. That would have been THEE perfect size for the average user. Not too much space and not to little space.

Thanks Apple!

14. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well updates don't necessarily eat up space. The old files are replaced. But yeah, it can be a bit maddening trying to manage with 16GB. My best friend and I bought iPhone 6 Plus's and he went with 16GB (which I think he may regret later on) and I went with 64. I'm using my phone for work so I need the space but also because I'm keeping this phone for the entire two year contract its under so I want to make sure it fulfils my computing needs.

16. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I remember it got maddening with iOS 7 the last year with my iP5. Had to constantly delete stuff just so I could have the required room to install the update SMH. I don't want to deal with that again. But LOVE the 6+. Ugh lol

17. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

I actually think they did everybody a favor by offering a 64GB iPhone for the SAME price as was the old 32GB iPhone. My wife was pumped because her 32GB iPhone 5 was almost full, so to get the 64 for the same price to her was awesome.
    The only thing in my opinion that would have been awesome, is if they got rid of the 16GB capacity all together, and replaced it with the 32GB as the base model. Then that would be the perfect device for the OP.

18. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

just update your phone in iTunes and you won't have to delete things.

Anyway, why did you buy a 16gb phone to begin with?

19. Sharpanator macrumors member

I have my Iphone4 for Music and the IP6+ as my main smartphone but i mostly dont need the storage at all, i dont watch movies and all that, just a few apps and web brwosing on the go, some pictures and movies. But even i was a bit shocked when only 9GB were available when i first started it, how on earth they can say its a 16GB phone?

20. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I just reserved it like I was going to pay cash and then explained I needed to exchange and why when I got to the store.

21. macmacguy macrumors regular

I'd choose more storage capacity, so if I were you I'd change it.

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I don't think that's correct. It should be close to 12 GB out of the box.

23. Sharpanator macrumors member

mine said 9GB?

24. MacTechnics thread starter macrumors 6502

I got a 16GB cause I never had issues with space in the past but now I feel like I will with iOS 8 and whatever apps I do have and their cache, etc. That "other" memory in the phone seems to always increase.

I'll figure it out. Thanks everyone for your input.

25. julesgold macrumors regular

Maybe you can. But iOS 8 along is 5gb. That only leaves you with 11gb left...