16GB should go!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chizzer2003, Feb 12, 2012.

1. chizzer2003 macrumors member

To further iPads objective in becoming a replacment for a laptop (for a typical consumer) I think with the iPad 3 they should remove the 16GB model and move the 32GB model down to that $499 price, and therefore move the 64GB down to the price of the current 32GB. Effectively moving the whole range down to the lower price, and then introduce a 128GB for the same price of the current 64GB. With the ever increasing size of apps (and if we really want app developers to develop large games for iPad) this needs to be done. With Apples push into the textbook market - and each textbook weighing in at nearly 2GB (Life on Earth for example weighing in at 965MB for the first two CHAPTERS) - this really needs to be done. And with the advent of much higher resolution graphics if the retina display arrives, the iPad will be storing potentially higher resolution graphics and video. 16GB isn't enough now even for the lowest priced model. Thoughts?

2. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Agreed! And I actually think that would boost sales bc people who originally would think that it's silly to shell out 500 for a 16g would then be tempted to purchase base model. I also think there are enough Mac lovers who want 128g iPad

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I believe they should do this:

- $399 iPad 2 - 16 GB
    - $499 iPad 3 - 32 GB
    - $599 iPad 3 - 64 GB
    - $699 iPad 3 - 128 GB

I think a, permanent, 16 GB iPad 2 would boost sales even more and will give Apple a better grip on the market.

Regarding 3G/4G models:

- $449 iPad 2 - 16 GB 3G
    - $629 iPad 3 - 32 GB LTE (Advanced)
    - $729 iPad 3 - 64 GB LTE (Advanced)
    - $829 iPad 3 - 128 GB LTE (Advanced)

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

modified

With this, wave goodbye Fire? And hello school textbook takeover!

5. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

"$399 iPad 2 - 16 GB" This is still too high, we have to contend with the Kindle Fire, so something has to be at ~$200 - 250 - 299 price point.

6. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I think the reduced price of the base model would deter from the 'luxury' of owning an iPad. Similar to if any luxury car all of a sudden introduced a 25k entry model. It decreases the overall value of the brand.

Nice idea though. It may reduce violence though. Lol maybe there will be decrease in deaths of stolen iPads and iPhones. Sad that people injure or kill over Mac products. I think it would have to go to $199 to cause significant decrease in theft/violence which is not possible for apple to do.

7. nawras94 macrumors member

agree 16 is too small and 128 is a good start

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

With everything stored on iCloud, 16gb is just fine. We don't all watch movies and play games, you know.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

16GB is pretty minimal, but it does suit many people. Having said that, I think Apple may well start the iPad 3 at 32GB..I have a 64GB iPad 2 and it's getting pretty full.

Would I buy a 128GB version? Yes.

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

The Kindle Fire really is only a big deal in the United States. There is no reason to compete with the Kindle Fire: iPad sales are going up and up, and until sales go down there's no need for a big price reduction.

They are doing the same with the iPhone: last year's model for a cheaper price. I think it would be very smart of Apple to keep the 16 GB iPad 2 model (both WiFi and 3G). You will reach a big audience, who thinks $499 is too much, but $399 is within limits.

11. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

my iPad2 is just 16gb, I thought I culd get away with it, but no iPad3 will be 32 at least, possibly 64.

16 is just too small if you have an interest if films, and the annoying "Other" taking up 1gb alone doesn't help.

12. erawsd macrumors 6502

If they really are going to implement a Retina Display and everything suddenly has super high resolution graphics, then 16GB has def got to go. I'm not even sure 32GB would be enough anymore if that happens.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I see little reason for so much memory on the iPad as Apple does not let me store what I really want and that is files of MY choosing. Until they allow me to set up folders and store Office files, more memory is a waste! I am only using a fraction of my 64gb now. I have more software than I can use now and over 3000 images.

14. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Everything is stored in iCloud?
    Funny, thought that was iDisk. Music, pages docs, and some limited photos (goodbye gallery) ok, but everything?

15. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I don't think the lowered price in the 16g will be wise overall for apple bc my reasoning is bc it devalues apple as a luxury tech dealer. Anyone who cant afford 499 prob wont mind buying a refurb or used one for approx $100 less which is your proposed plan of 399 for 16g. Also, as others have said the 16g will become obsolete soon bc of the increased app sizes to accommodate a new high res display.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Yes because, unlike Apple, Amazon can never release new updated products that would offer more versatility to their platform. :confused:

Why would anyone celebrate an Apple takeover in the EDU market or getting rid of a major competitor anyway? Competition is good, and as much as we may love our iPads then the EDU market is not somewhere that will benefit from a single brand getting too much power. Apple may "appear" to have good intentions but if anyone thinks that MS was evil in the 90's then Apple in a decade should scare the heck out of consumers.

As for the topic, yes, 16GB should die mainly because I know so many iPad owners that bought cheap and ended up regretting it due to storage space and $500 is a big pricetag for a small mistake.

17. SlugBlanket macrumors regular

As has been stated, some of the new text books are coming in at 2Gb. Add to that a few apps and a travelling movie or two and that doesn't leave a lot of space. With regard to iCloud, we don't all trust others with our data, you know. :)

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Not celebrating, just talking strategy. Step off the soapbox, breath, calm down.

Apple is a money hungry hungry corp like any other, no doubt.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Is this the same type of devaluation Apple is seeing by selling their products in Wal-Mart? Or apple allowing ATT to offer an 8GB iphone4 for $99 or the 8GB 3GS for $.99? Someone is still making 8GB iphones.

Apple is hooking people in their ecosystem. Soon the prices of songs, movies and books will increase further driving the locked in stake a little deeper.

Not to mention the laster gen ipod touch is available in 8GB.

I see the 16GB being a great selling device for 3G or the next gen wireless.
    ATT extending subsidizes of just the price difference between the non 3G to the 3G models with a 12 month lock in would move a lot of units, IMO.

20. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

I Really doubt you will see the 3 come in at the price points of the 2. I believe it's more likely the 2 series will drop slightly, maybe $25-50 and the 3 series will be premium priced. Also I see the 16gb ipad2 being retained as the entry level model. I see the iPad 3 series being for an entirely new market assuming the rumored feature list is accurate. Although higher ram capacity options would be rational in both series given the demands for the new textbooks. If these things ARE going to replace dozens of textbooks for students they will need the resources to actually contain them.

21. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I am only discussing the 16g becoming obsolete for the ipad bc the apps are already larger than iPhone apps. Hooking people in their system has already been accomplished by apples superior products. I may be in the minority but I just don't think offering a base model for less $ than the current will increase sales for the iPad - NOT other apple products.

Also, apple can basically sell their products anywhere and I don't think where it's sold (Walmart) devalues it. There's apple devices in vending machines now.

22. erawsd macrumors 6502

I doubt that. Apple is increasingly disinterested in the "Luxury/Pro" markets, the Mac Pro is pretty much dead and its rumored that the MBP is next.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

One way to solve this problem is having a flash memory slot. I have 64 GB and it isn't enough anymore.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Readdle Docs is the app you are looking for that does this. You can store office files in its directory.

As for a folder structure in iOS it'll never happen. Its not a computer its more of a media consumption device and adding a folder structure would take the simplicity away.

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If I removed the 6 movies from my wifes 32GB ipad she would have roughly 23.5Gb if free space.
    I think the 16Gb would be a great seller at $399, as we have seen at the TJMaxx secret sales. Better yet $450 for a 3G 16GB.
    If schools are going to be moving their text books onto and issuing ipads, some attractive pricepoint needs to be availalbe..
    Apple is already stripping down imacs and airs for education, though the savings are breathtaking.
    Something tells me Apple is keeping a very close eye on how much space ipad users consuming and making products to fit.
    Now if the line up was 32, 64, 126 GB with the same price points well maybe the 16GB would be obsolete.
    Right now apple seems to be able to sell milk to a dairy farmer so whatever they put on the shelves, it will most likely sell.
    Keep the 16Gb, put a $399 price tag on it and watch how many kids sudden have an ipad or how many homes become multi ipad homes.