17 Girls get pregnant in group pact

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by madoka, Jun 20, 2008.

1. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Excerpt:

As summer vacation begins, 17 girls at Gloucester High School are expecting babies—more than four times the number of pregnancies the 1,200-student school had last year. Some adults dismissed the statistic as a blip. Others blamed hit movies like Juno and Knocked Up for glamorizing young unwed mothers. But principal Joseph Sullivan knows at least part of the reason there's been such a spike in teen pregnancies in this Massachusetts fishing town. School officials started looking into the matter as early as October after an unusual number of girls began filing into the school clinic to find out if they were pregnant. By May, several students had returned multiple times to get pregnancy tests, and on hearing the results, "some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," Sullivan says. All it took was a few simple questions before nearly half the expecting students, none older than 16, confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together. Then the story got worse. "We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," the principal says, shaking his head.

Full story:
    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1815845,00.html

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

:eek: They truly actually want to be mothers, I mean they went as far as getting done by a homeless guy to get there. Makes me glad I wasn't raised in a "fiercely catholic enclave".

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Theres plenty of good looking guys around and they choose a homeless person :confused:

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Hey being homeless don't make you ugly I'm living proof of that :D , but to those girl's what a bunch of dumb arses

6. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

silly little girls, and poor babies. I'm not saying that teen mums can't be good mums, but thier reasons for getting pregnant don't bode well. I just hope the Girls families are in a position to help when needed and to help provide a stable loving enviroment for the little uns. And I personaly would not say that Juno glamorised teen Preggy-ness, if anything I think it would do a good job of discouraging it until you're mature enough to take responsibility.

7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

8. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i hope that ending their personal lives that early is worth it for them..

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Can we expect to see them on Maury Povich at some point trying to figure out who knocked up whom?

It's really depressing that no one has taught these girls to see anything beyond their own selfish wants.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Wow.

And in a year, will we expect them to have a group daycare pact?

And in a few years after that, will we expect them to have a group babysitting pact? Maybe an income-sharing plan so they can all afford to raise their kids as young single moms fresh out of school?

They're not just robbing themselves of a childhood and an opportunity for a proper education and career, they're robbing their future children of being properly brought up in a functional home.

(Not to generalize about ALL young single mothers -- I've met plenty that have done their darndest for their kids -- but these kids (!) don't strike me as that type.)

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Poor kids - the yet to be born ones that is.

If the girls had an ounce of sense left (which I doubt), they'd all make a pact to put their kids up for adoption.

Why couldn't they have just gotten kittens?

12. David G. macrumors 65816

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

So do their parents not show them enough love? ... this might be the saddest part of the story...

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Isn't Gloucester the fishing town from "The Perfect Storm"?

I'd guess a lot of people in that town end up getting raised by single mothers, based on fisherman's mortality stats. If I remember correctly from the book, over 10,000 fishermen have died on the job over the town's history.

15. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

They go as far as having sex with people off the streets?

This is why I dont care about sex.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of shoe on other foot, a lot of guys specifically hunt for women on the street for a quickie.

17. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Good point. Didnt think of that.

18. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Today-Me had a different reaction to this story than Teenage-Me would have.

Um, are you Handsome Homeless Guy, or are you a Homely Homeowner?

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm sorry, but as Seinfeld said, there's no such thing as good-looking homeless.

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, they seem dumb enough to make even a cat have a horrible life. I think that pet rocks would be more appropriate.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF could their motivation possibly be? I hope the kids are given up for adoption. These girls are insane. :mad:

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

<rant>
    In my honest opinion, as a father who has lost twins (both late second trimester losses), I hope these girls 1: carry these babies to term, 2: whether they like it or not, get their tubes completely soldered shut, to 3: never be able to reproduce again.

If I were there, I'd personally slap each one of them upside the head... HARD. The stupidity of these girls, let alone the naivety of their parents and not being in their lives is unimaginable.

Bloody sucks to be legitimately trying to have a child and lose yours, while idiotic wenches like these girls parade around with having children like it's a trip to a shopping mall. These girls don't deserve the right to have children. PERIOD.

I'm sure we'll all be waiting with baited breath to see who their pimp or john is and which trailer park they'll be living in on the next Jerry Springer.
    </rant>

BL.

23. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'm not homeless ( i own a property )but i am good looking :D , it's just that i don't agree that all homeless guys are are ugly not in the physical sense anyways, a male supermodel looses his job and is on the bones of his arse with a beard etc does that make him ugly???

A life sponging of the state maybe ??

24. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Wow, I'm truly sorry for the heartbreak you and your partner have suffered. I know a few people who have had similar disappointment and loss in their lives, and it is for that reason I try to never under appreciate the blessing our children have been.

It seems so cavalier to treat the responsibility of creating and nourishing life as anything less than a complete commitment of your soul and body. Youth is wasted on the young, and all too frequently fertility is wasted on the foolish.

25. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Couldn't agree more