Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Just making sure we're on the same page. Seems like an appropriate comparison. The latter being a disease that kills countless annually and the former being a MacBook with graphics card failures.
- It was an analogy to describe the superficial treatment of symptoms. It wasn't intended to equate the horrors Ebola causes with the inconvenience of failing graphics cards.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
- It was an analogy to describe the superficial treatment of symptoms. It wasn't intended to equate the horrors Ebola causes with the inconvenience of failing graphics cards.

I understand what an analogy is. It's the inclination to pick the treatment of one of the worst diseases in our recent history to draw a comparison that is nothing short of intellectual sloppiness and in poor taste. They should suit the reference to the issue.

Last edited:

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
Yep pretty much it in a nutshell, that's the risk you take buying any computer I understand and accept that when I buy them.

Would you have bought it - if you'd known at the outset it had a design fault?? I doubt it....

but.....lets say you did ......what if you then discover it has a widely acknowledged DESIGN fault....made by the manufacturer or one of their partners....would you just say "oh well"...."thats the risk you take when you buy a computer"?...if so then hats off Sir - you are clearly a Zen master.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Would you have bought it - if you'd known at the outset it had a design fault?? I doubt it....

but.....lets say you did ......what if you then discover it has a widely acknowledged DESIGN fault....made by the manufacturer or one of their partners....would you just say "oh well"...."thats the risk you take when you buy a computer"?...if so then hats off Sir - you are clearly a Zen master.

I'm not stupid enough to buy something that has a known fault, but this issue was not known as a design fault for a number of years.

If it was a fault that later came out and the manufacturer kept the computer usable for its warranty period then yes I would accept it as part and parcel of buying tech.

Everybody who buys a new computer with brand new tech in it is a beta tester for that hardware. I know this, it's obvious that the testing of these components can never be thorough enough without making people wait years for new tech.

As such I have 2 choices take the risk or only buy old tech that's tried and tested, I don't want old tech I take the risk, and I am willing to accept it when that risk doesn't pay off.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
This is like the Xbox 360 red ring of death issue. Microsoft just extended the warranty not making any attempt to actually resolve the hardware fault that caused the high failure rate at the time. And then years later they quietly introduced new 360 slim models with revised hardware that did not have the issue. But every original 360 motherboard eventually fails at some paint because of a design fault.

This shows that you don't now what you are talking about. There were a number of the revisions to the non-Slim Xbox 360 to make it less susceptible to RRoD.

Xenon, Falcon, Opus, Jasper, Jasper/Kronos

That's just it: he doesn't have one, so he don't have to deal with problems.

It's the "not my problem" attitude.

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
This shows that you don't now what you are talking about. There were a number of the revisions to the non-Slim Xbox 360 to make it less susceptible to RRoD.

Xenon, Falcon, Opus, Jasper, Jasper/Kronos

That's just it: he doesn't have one, so he don't have to deal with problems.

It's the "not my problem" attitude.

It's not so much a "not my problem" attitude. Because of a banner carrier that behaves as you do, it's more of a "serves you right" attitude.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, tubesy.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
It's not so much a "not my problem" attitude. Because of a banner carrier that behaves as you do, it's more of a "serves you right" attitude.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, tubesy.

How about I sell it to you (market value) so you can deal with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.