17" MacBook Pro Anti Glare Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DHagan4755, Feb 24, 2009.

1. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Just got home to my new 17" MacBook Pro with the optional anti glare display. I'll take more pictures in a few, but it's incredible!

Attached Files:

2. enjoyapple macrumors newbie

enjoyapple

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

How do you find the brightness of the matte display?

This poster seems to think that it is quite dim:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7158685&postcount=1898

BUT, there is no evidence that it is at the highest brightness in this photo.

4. DHagan4755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Geez, I haven't found it dim. Of course, one would want turn off the "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" feature.

5. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

do you guys think that the matte screen is the latest tech screen like on the glossy ones?

6. enjoyapple macrumors newbie

enjoyapple

7. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

have you owned any other macbook in the past? if yes, is the screen quality much better? how is the viewing angle(left/right-up/down)?
    thanks

8. DHagan4755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

My display model info says it is a 9CAC. I thought I read in another thread that the glossy is a 9C99? Nonetheless, Apple has used multiple panel suppliers in the past, so this wouldn't be much of a surprise.

I have owned Apple notebooks back to the original Titanium PowerBook G4 and used Apple notebooks back to the PowerBook G3s.

This is the best display that I have ever seen in an Apple notebook. I am curious how it compares to the glossy glass version. It is well lit and evenly lit. A beauty.

The optical drive seems quieter...might be it's probably because it's on the side and is in a different enclosure.

It boots fast (2.66GHZ; 4GB of RAM; 320GB HD @ 5,400 rpm). I'm coming from a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz with 4GB of RAM.

I just finished a reformat and re-install to get rid of all of those unnecessary languages and extra printer drivers that I don't need. More later. Time to move my data!

9. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The Macbook Air has a terribly bright display..the brightest of all the Apple portables. I have the 17" glossy, and it is not quite as bright as my 15" MBP unibody (9C84). So I would expect it to be dim in comparison to a MBA. As good as the 9C84 display is the 9C99 in my 17" is even better. Definitely, one of the best displays I've ever seen in a portable.

10. DHagan4755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Even the colors on the matte "anti glare" pop to me. I'm saying this having never seen the new 17" glossy glass.

I'm writing this on my MacBook Air, which is indeed brighter. The display, while extremely good, after looking at my new 17" seems a little hazy. Nevermind to the fact that my brain has adjusted to the higher resolution screen now in the 17"...so text and things look so much bigger on the 13" Air.

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Can you post a screenshot of the MacBook Pro at full resolution. I want to see how that resolution would look on a 17 inch as the only 17 inch I have had is a desktop and I have my grandma's 17 inch dell at my house right now that I could view the size on

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

my glossy 15 MBP is MUCH brighter than my Rev B MBA

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Looks good. Just curious, did the box have a picture of the matte or glossy MacBook?

14. 1760mac macrumors newbie

That's an interesting question. Did they produce 2 different boxes, or do they just list the specs on the side of the box and leave the picture on the front the same?

15. DHagan4755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Haha, good question on the box! The box is the one used for the glossy display. When I opened the carton this afternoon I thought they might have messed up!

OK, here's some random thoughts and observations after using it pretty much since 4:30 this afternoon (it finally ran out of juice and I'm going to calibrate it so I'm writing this from my Air).

The good:
    — The display is as bright as the previous generation MacBook Pros
    — The display does appear to have a wider color gamut
    — The hinge on the display is not loose on mine and can be used at an angle (like laying down in bed) - this was a problem going all the way back to the original 17" PowerBook G4, which I still have, and I have read is a "problem" that exists on the new unibody 15" MacBook Pros
    — The opening angle of the hinge is greater than the previous generation of the MacBook Pro - the screen can open further back - in line with the 17" PowerBook G4
    — There's no electrical static noises in the headphone jack or hiss like the previous generation MacBook Pro
    — The optical drive is quieter during operation than previous Apple notebooks
    — The keyboard is overall improved from the previous MacBook Pro...I'm still getting used to it because it's further away (I used the previous "Santa Rosa" 15" MacBook Pro)
    — As has been mentioned ad nauseam, the fit and finish are incredible and the notebook feels stronger and more durable than the previous generation Apple notebooks
    — There is no noticeable vibration from the hard drive and although I haven't checked the manufacturer of it, it seems OK - I think I will upgrade it to a larger capacity 7,200 rpm drive after Snow Leopard comes out
    — The speakers are loud, and at full volume with a song that has deep base, you can feel the base vibrating the case when you rest your hands on the case
    — The screen's lid is evenly closed from side to side without any gaps

The bad:
    — There does appear to be some slight light leakage on the lower half of the display along the left and right sides; it's not noticeable except in those certain conditions

Disconcerting & Some Notes:
    — The mouse/trackpad as others have written does take getting used to
    — The "click" is louder than I'm used to...although I think I could overcome this in time
    — The front of the computer, nearest the thumb scoop feels a little hollow when clicking...this is perhaps a slight design flaw and a highly subjective thing
    — The magnetic latch is strong and cannot always be opened with just one hand without the computer starting to slide; I think this is great but it's just still disconcerting to me
    — When comparing images on this notebook to other Apple notebooks (previous generation 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Air) that I have been using, the color of images appear slightly off when compared to other Apple notebooks...I think this is primarily due to the fact that the new computer has a greater color gamut
    — I think I saved approx. 4GB by erasing and re-installing Mac OS X minus languages and printer drivers that I don't use
    — I have seen the 15" glossy...while I'm not adverse to the new glossy glass, I hope that Apple introduces this same matte option on the 15-inch MacBook Pro

TBD (to be determined):
    — The battery life

I still have a ton of software to install that I haven't gotten around to yet. It's getting late and I have to get up in the morning. Tomorrow's another day. I put up some more pix mañana........

16. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

You're going to calibrate it? Didn't Apple make the point that because the battery was so well monitored by the laptop it doesn't need to be calibrated?

17. DHagan4755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Well, no, they didn't formally. If you accept that they didn't do much of an explanation about calibration in the owner's manual as they have with the previous iteration, then yes....

18. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

It is a bit odd that the manual didn't mention anything about calibration. Whether how to do it or the fact that it wouldn't need to be done at all.

19. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

There is no need to calibrate it the battery already arrives with several cycles on it. Mine had 2 or 3 when I checked it.

The manual also makes no mention of calibrating unlike the 15" and 13" manuals.

20. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Yours had 2 or 3 cycles on it? That's interesting. Why would it already have cycles?

21. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I've read about this in another thread as well. Maybe Apple calibrated it for us already? Just a wild guess here.

22. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

How do you calibrate a battery that monitors it's own usage in the first place? Any why would Apple be so nice? ;)

23. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

True, maybe it's not so much calibrating it as charging it for an extended period or evening testing the battery or something so that people don't have to do it incorrectly and sue Apple for giving false stats on the battery (which some people already are already complaining about).

Again, just COMPLETLY throwing the idea out there:eek:

24. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

The goal in Apple pre-charging the batteries would be to avoid having multiple people think they needed a repair.

25. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I don't know. But it did.

Sorry to tell you this but most batteries monitor themselves. Even Apples older batteries did this. What apple has really done is moved the circuits out of the battery and in to the notebook, doing so increasing the size. Basically its just a big battery. Apple want to make it sound like they reinvented the battery but that's just not true.