Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

145327-Gf2GPJlfKvbLJLDZ_425.jpg

iFixIt has posted disassembly photos of the new 17" unibody MacBook Pro that has started arriving in customers hands. The 17" MacBook Pro was announced at Macworld San Francisco and incorporates Apple's new unibody design but with a non-removable battery.

Due to this design change, access to the internal components now requires the use of a screwdriver. iFixIt's photos show how to access the RAM and Hard Drive of the new machine. Apple also provides instructions on the process in their 17" MacBook Pro Manual (PDF). Both RAM and Hard Drive are considered user-serviceable items, while the battery is not.

Other Notes from iFixit:

- Apple's using wide, thin black rubber bumpers on the Unibody Pros, a departure from the small stubby bumpers on the Aluminum revisions.
- There are ten Phillips screws around the perimeter of the lower case to remove.
- It's only a matter of time until you'll be able to buy this battery online from companies like [iFixit].
- The battery weighs 20.1 ounces (1.25 pounds or 570 grams). That's 20% of the computer's weight!

Apple's official battery replacement for the 17" MacBook Pro costs $179.

Article Link: 17" MacBook Pro Disassembly, RAM, HD and Battery Access

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Due to this design change, access to the internal components now requires the use of a screwdriver.
Think of the children!

Is that a delicious warranty voiding sticker on the battery too?

MeatPie

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
So you can crack it open and replace the RAM and HD, but you can't touch the battery? seems weird to me

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to the 13/15-inch machines going this direction with the next revision. You need to take the back off to get to the RAM anyway, and the removal of that latch may make it possible for the 13" machine to regain firewire in addition to better battery life.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
So you can crack it open and replace the RAM and HD, but you can't touch the battery? seems weird to me

You can still replace the battery. Its just not as easy as it has been for years as all Apple laptops have had removable battery's. I like the design though because there is not as much wasted space.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to the 13/15-inch machines going this direction with the next revision. You need to take the back off to get to the RAM anyway, and the removal of that latch may make it possible for the 13" machine to regain firewire in addition to better battery life.

I wish Apple would have done this in the first place when they came out with the new 13-in's and 15-in's. It makes much more sense and the new laptops could possibly be even thinner. I doubt we will see this for another 3 years though.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Awesome, first post?

What are you referring to with regards to the rubber bumpers? Do you mean something internal or the 'feet'?

They just mean the feet. Same big round ones as the Air and other unibody MacBooks.

MeatPie

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
You can still replace the battery. Its just not as easy as it has been for years as all Apple laptops have had removable battery's. I like the design though because there is not as much wasted space.

Yeah I know you can, I just find it weird that they don't consider a user-serviceable replacement. If someone is capable enough to replace RAM and an HD, then a battery should be a non-issue.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
As someone who just had to switch batteries mid-flight on a 13" Macbook, I would be against the other models going this way. With a battery lasting ~4 hours, the machine will not last a cross country (that country being the US) flight. It gets even worse if you're taking an overseas flight. Having to bust out a screwdriver on my tray table would not be ideal...

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
As someone who just had to switch batteries mid-flight on a 13" Macbook, I would be against the other models going this way. With a battery lasting ~4 hours, the machine will not last a cross country (that country being the US) flight. It gets even worse if you're taking an overseas flight. Having to bust out a screwdriver on my tray table would not be ideal...

I think they're talking about using one of the new batteries that get 8ish hours of battery life like the new 17"ers.

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Having to bust out a screwdriver on my tray table would not be ideal...

And I doubt you'd be able to get that screwdriver on the plane. If you did get it on the plane and I was sitting close to you, you're asking for a punch in the face without any questions. Nothing against you, just the screwdriver.....

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008

just get an airline adapter

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Think of the children!

Is that a delicious warranty voiding sticker on the battery too?

It appears that way but if you look at the second page they take the battery out and that is still attached.

Gf2GPJlfKvbLJLDZ.large

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I think battery replacement will require soldering. While simple for many, soldering is something most consumers would be unable to do themselves. I don't blame Apple for not using a connector, high power connectors are a bulky failure point that would only be unplugged once every few years at most.

• Haha
Reactions: Jhonjhon236
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.