17 macbook pro too big

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Aug 11, 2010.

?

is 17 mbp just too big

1. too big

492 vote(s)
    53.2%
  2. not too big

433 vote(s)
    46.8%
  1. tim100 macrumors 65816

do you think the 17 macbook pro is too big for normal computer usage (not talking about professional usage thay require the extra size like photograhers and video) is it too big for the rest of us? is the extra screen space and pixels not worth the compormise in size?

2. djpuma macrumors regular

I am wondering the same thing. I just picked one up (refurb and I'm debating if I should return it for a 15"

This thing is awesome, I'm just worried about it being too big. As I type on it right now, it doesn't seem that big, but it doesn't fit in my laptop bag or gig bag. The anti-glare hi-res screen is awesome.

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

I certainly wouldn't want to carry it around. I also feel the resolution is too high compared to display size.

4. DKYang macrumors newbie

If you don't have a desktop and don't plan to use an external monitor, then it's a good size to have if you don't plan to carry it around a lot. Otherwise, get a different sized laptop. 15" is still portable enough, 17" is just way too big for carrying around. Remember 17" is usually a "desktop replacement."

Just buy a smaller sized laptop and buy an external monitor if you want the extra screen size.

5. Yimbie macrumors member

Why are there so many threads about size?

Anyways, coming from a 17" owner, it's not too big for me at all. I LOVE the extra screen real estate. When I snap pages in half or even in quarters, it's really nice to see more on each page. I do a lot of page snapping, so it works out really nicely for me. It's also all subjective whether a 17" is too big for you to carry around. I have an Incase Nylon Tech Brief messenger bag that was made for the 17", and it is perfect. It fits the 17" snuggly inside and there's plenty of room for other things such as books, notebooks, and so forth.

If you're at your desk a lot and don't want to connect to an external monitor, then the 17" is the way to go. If you're feeble and have a tough time carrying a notebook that is 1lb heavier than the 15", then I'd recommend going with the 15". Perhaps lose some weight to offset it? :p

The resolution is just fine. If you have eye problems, just raise the size of the text. If you have 20/20 vision (and also with glasses), then it'll be fine for you. I never understood why people were saying "The font is too tiny."

Now, would I say that the 13" is too small?... in terms of resolution. YES. The best resolution is either the 17" or the hi-res display on 15".

6. Marat macrumors newbie

Not too large. It is only one pound heavier than the 15. That one pound does not transform it from portable computer to unmovable object.

7. jrockette macrumors newbie

yeah i really dont understand why people think it's so big... the macbook pro is called pro for a reason- it's not really for the average user. to be honest, most "pro" users would be challenged to work on anything smaller than a 17" without an extra external screen. it's still very portable, imo. it's the only mbp i'd consider.

8. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

well i guess it depends on what youre going to use your MBP for, i needed it for portability but didn't want the small size of the 13, if i'm going to need a bigger screen it'll be at home ready to be plugged in

9. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I find the 15" to be the absolute best. I bring it with me everyday from home to work. It packs up in about 60 seconds. (Gaming Pad, Mouse, Notebook, Charger wrapped, iPhone cable unplugged and bagged)

and unpacking takes about double the time.

I can't really imagine having a 17", but I would guess it would be more cumbersome, and require painstaking work just to ensure it doesn't get hurt.

13" would be fine too, but for me that resolution + hardware doesn't cut it. 15" is the best of both worlds. I would rather just get a iMac if I was going for anything bigger than a 15".

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I just wish Apple upped it's resolution more! At least offer a higher resolution option on it's site.

11. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I've owned 17" and 13" mbp's at the same time, the last generation. I was surprised because I found myself using the 13" all the time, it was just perfect. Ultimately I sold the 13" because I couldn't find anyone willing to shell out to buy the 17". I use the 17" as a desktop replacement, I very rarely carry it around. Because it's my only machine I am happy with the extra screen space and horsepower it gives. However, as a favourite machine, I would say the 13" wins hands down.

12. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

yea 17 does not require external monitor.

13. advres Guest

advres

My $.02

If someone is buying it as a desktop replacement that will be moved very minimally, then the size is perfect. If the person plans to bring it all over the place with them (including all around the house) and put it on their lap for long periods of time than I would say it is a touch too big and the 15" would be more comfortable for the long haul.

14. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It's not too big. I just can't justify the huge price tag above an i7 15".

15. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how practical is it to carry around and use on your lap a desktop replacement? from my experience its kind of uncomfortable.

16. advres Guest

advres

When trying to be witty, at least make it funny.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

17 inch user here.

The 17" is excellent. Anyone who says its too big needs to buy a gym membership. :p

Seriously though, same thickness as the 13 and 15 inch, only slightly larger and heavier. I can pick the 17" umbp with one hand (gasp), put it in my bag (gasp), carry it (double gasp) AND put it on a desk, and no the desk isn't made out of some high tech super strong metal alloy.

I'm 50/50 at my desk and on the go, and it travels fine. The high res means I can have lots of windows open.

Though it is a purpose driven machine. If you have no use for the extra speed nor the expresscard slot, then go for the 15 inch which is a very fine machine. If you think the 17" is out of your league simply because it's 17", check on out in the store and decide for yourself. It may be too large for your specific purposes, but I can attest to it's portability.

18. Yimbie macrumors member

Much agreed!

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I certainly enjoy my MBP 17. Now that there is a hi-res MBP 15 available as well, it may not be as simple to decide which machine to go with though. If I were to carry my MBP 17 around all the time, I would probably go with the hi-res MBP 15. For my specific use though I really appreciate the extra screen real estate. Depends really on what you're using your machine for and how mobile/compact you need it to be.

20. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

21. Yimbie macrumors member

By the way, are you thinking on purchasing one? or do you just want to poll?

22. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

My dad has a 17" non unibody and I really wish I could trade him, I LOVE the size of the screen. Only bad thing is it isn't LED.

23. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

information

just a poll.

24. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

It's not too big if you keep it at home, if you carry it with you alot the difference between 15" and 17" is huge literally. 15" is perfect for people on the go that use the laptop alot, 13" is a bit too cramped and 17" is a bit too large. I've used them all and always found I left the 17" home more often than not always took the 13" with me but felt really limited so finally gave in and bought a 15" and i'm fairly certain I will never be going back to 13" or 17" again, take the 15" with me to work every day and barely notice the extra size/weight in my bag, and I love it to death, it is perfect for me :)

25. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

17" if you want better visibility, power and screen size (obviously).