Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I just watched the engadget video and when the filmer flipped the MBP over, I didn't see a place to install ram or a drive.

Seriously?

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
I just watched the engadget video and when the filmer flipped the MBP over, I didn't see a place to install ram or a drive.

Seriously?

Take off the bottom of the case. Pretty damn easy to do. Not as accessible. But still simple enough. The new 13/15" Macbooks went away with the easy load RAM slots too.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Take off the bottom of the case. Pretty damn easy to do. Not as accessible. But still simple enough. The new 13/15" Macbooks went away with the easy load RAM slots too.

My buddy in Cupertino said this is the way to do it as well. Doesn't seem too difficult.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
We dont know that yet, you'll have to wait until the first ones ship and someone can review the warranty document that comes with it, but usually when they are sealed in like with the Macbook Air, removing the bottom would void the warranty.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
We dont know that yet, you'll have to wait until the first ones ship and someone can review the warranty document that comes with it, but usually when they are sealed in like with the Macbook Air, removing the bottom would void the warranty.

What the hell are you talking about... Your telling me that if someone that owns the 17" notebook wants to upgrade to 8GB of ram themselves tehy're voiding warranty? Wow..

Btw. In order to upgrade the ram on the current Alu. MB/MBP, you have to unscrew the entire bottom case to get in there. That def. doesn't void warranty.

Are you basing that on the 13 and 15 inch models? Won't removing the cover expose the non user replaceable battery?

I'm talking about all laptops. The only thing Apple won't provide warranty for is the new components your putting in the laptop (ie. hdd, ram).

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
What the hell are you talking about... Your telling me that if someone that owns the 17" notebook wants to upgrade to 8GB of ram themselves tehy're voiding warranty? Wow..

yes it will, ask apple. it comes under the "non user servicable" area now. its a rip off i know.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'm talking about all laptops. The only thing Apple won't provide warranty for is the new components your putting in the laptop (ie. hdd, ram).

On thinking about it I think your right as I read it somewhere about Apple upgrades done by yourself are not voiding warranty's. I guess the non user changeable bit threw me?
I'm not fussed, good machine, found the battery stuff zzzzzzzzz boring to be honest and it's old tech, Li-Po was last year haha. I still prefer the 15" size. 17" is pro end with pro price, not really aimed at gamers or consumers?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Your wrong. Did you bother to read what I said underneath that.

You don't know if you're right. True that in the past it has been the case that it will not void your warranty, but it is very possible that the terms of warranty have changed. No one will know until Apple says so.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If I remember, the 15" Unibody comes with instructions on how to remove the case to upgrade the ram? I'm not sure as I'm waiting for my 3rd one to be delivered.

Well duh it does! The RAM is soooo easy to install in that one. However the 17 incher doesn't have the fancy doors on the bottom, you have to disassemble the laptop to get to the RAM and hard disk.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well duh it does! The RAM is soooo easy to install in that one. However the 17 incher doesn't have the fancy doors on the bottom, you have to disassemble the laptop to get to the RAM and hard disk.

No you do not disassemble to machine to change the hard drive actually. And if the machine has instructions of how to remove the entire bottom panel to change the ram then the chances are doing the same on the new 17" model is NOT going to void any warranty, it would be very stupid to say you can take that machine apart but not that one. Please note I was talking about the UNIBODY MB Pro.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
No you do not disassemble to machine to change the hard drive actually. And if the machine has instructions of how to remove the entire bottom panel to change the ram then the chances are doing the same on the new 17" model is NOT going to void any warranty, it would be very stupid to say you can take that machine apart but not that one. Please note I was talking about the UNIBODY MB Pro.

You still have no idea what you're talking about. The 15 inch MBP has a panel that's easily removable and well documented by Apple that contains the RAM and hard disk drive. The 17 incher does not! The entire bottom is one piece á la Macbook Air, and NOT user replaceable, like the old Macbook Pros (but they may have changed the terms of the warranty)

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Just a side note...how would they know? Do they have those stickers on there or something?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
You still have no idea what you're talking about. The 15 inch MBP has a panel that's easily removable and well documented by Apple that contains the RAM and hard disk drive. The 17 incher does not! The entire bottom is one piece á la Macbook Air, and NOT user replaceable, like the old Macbook Pros (but they may have changed the terms of the warranty)

Ok so then everyone who upgraded the RAM on the unibody MB/MBP have voided their warranty... righttt :rolleyes:

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008

That would be incorrect.. Battery and HDD have a separate cover, but you have to remove the WHOLE bottom case in order to access the RAM.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
That would be incorrect.. Battery and HDD have a separate cover, but you have to remove the WHOLE bottom case in order to access the RAM.

OK genius, wheres the 'seperate cover' on that:

17" Unibody Base
09_expo_vh_d2_17MBP_08.JPG

Same Photo
09_expo_vh_d2_17MBPt_10.JPG

THERE ISNT ONE!!!!! you HAVE TO DISSASEMBLE the WHOLE 17" laptop bottom case to get to the RAM and the Hard Drive!!!
Please only put answers if you know what your talking about.
Upgrading the RAM on the 17" unibody macbook pro, WOULD void the warranty, as it has the same base as the Macbook Air, and therefore the same dissasembly warranty will apply, when you want to insert RAM or a new Hard Drive. Apple have already said it.
However they will upgrade it for you in any Apple Store later if you wish.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
ok "genius" so taking the bottom case off a White Macbook would void the warranty? NO! So at this point there's no way for you to know whether this will change with the 17" MBP or not.. For the time being, the logical answer would be NO.

And you need to READ previous posts before getting al excited... I was referring to the current unibody MB/MBPs...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

OK genius, wheres the 'seperate cover' on that:

17" Unibody Base
09_expo_vh_d2_17MBP_08.JPG

Same Photo
09_expo_vh_d2_17MBPt_10.JPG

THERE ISNT ONE!!!!! you HAVE TO DISSASEMBLE the WHOLE 17" laptop bottom case to get to the RAM and the Hard Drive!!!
Please only put answers if you know what your talking about.
Upgrading the RAM on the 17" unibody macbook pro, WOULD void the warranty, as it has the same base as the Macbook Air, and therefore the same dissasembly warranty will apply, when you want to insert RAM or a new Hard Drive. Apple have already said it.
However they will upgrade it for you in any Apple Store later if you wish.

That's what I thought!

@VSMacOne shuddddup!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.