17" Unibody MacBook Pro Battery Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YahonMaizosz, Jun 4, 2009.

1. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Today, I noticed something went terribly wrong with my Unibody MacBook Pro.

Before, my battery had a charge of 13,000. It had been like this for 3 months. Then today, its total charge went down to a mere 6800. I checked system profiler and it says "Check Battery".

What should I do now? What is causing its strange behavior?? Please help me..

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try calibrating the battery.

If that doesn't reset it, then try resetting the SMC.

and, what does Coconut Battery say now?

3. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

The same as System Profiler... By calibrating the battery, you mean completely draining it and then completely recharging it again right?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

6. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Anyone knows what might be causing this strange phenomena?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Do you actually have reduced run time?

8. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

What do you mean? I had been using my MacBook Pro the same like it was 3 months ago...

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I guess I meant does it only run for half the time or are you just concerned because of the data change?

10. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Now it charges twice as fast and depletes twice as fast.. This happened very recently, like 40 minutes ago... Before that, it was still normal...

Also, in system profiler, it says "Check Battery"... This is very concerning..

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yea, I would still give the calibration a try. There are two main cells in the battery. Perhaps one of them has gone a bit "stupid" - that's what calibration is for.

12. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

I am currently charging it back to 100%.. It is weird.. Usually it takes more than 2 hours to charge from 30% to 100%.. Now, it is a mere 1:02 hours... What the heck...

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

So, that's step #2 - leave it plugged in for 2 hours. Then, unplug and let it run down and auto-sleep. Don't plug it in again for at least 5 hours. (all from the procedure). That's all assuming you don't need the machine... (not knowing which timezone you're in)

14. arrash macrumors member

I had the exact same problem where full charge capacity would drop to about 1/2 of what it should be. Went to my local Apple Store. The mentioned there was a small batch that had this very issue and they simply swapped the battery on the spot. Since then, it has been solid. I am at 99% health after many charge cycles.

15. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

How are you going to replace the supposedly "Non-replaceable" battery in the 17" Unibody MacBook Pro?

16. nuncupatory macrumors member

My battery went bad just last week, after 11 months of usage (system profiler also said 'Check Battery'). It was still under the 1 year warranty, so I got it replaced at the local Apple store relatively hassle-free. Since you've only had the thing for 2 months, I suggest you just make an appointment to see one of their Genius monkeys. They have a test that they run off an ipod to check for defective batteries.

Calibrating your battery every few months is a good idea for long-term battery care, but I seriously doubt it's going to fix your current problem.

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

They're not "user serviceable". But, they are easily removed by unplugging and a couple of screws.

18. arrash macrumors member

The battery is not technically "user-replaceable" but that doesn't mean it can't be replaced. Simply removing the bottom cover reveals the battery and almost every other component in the system. The non-removable aspect of it simply means you can't swap batteries on the fly like you could with most other laptops. The Apple Store will do the swap for you since it is covered under Apple Care.

19. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Alright, if by tomorrow this problem still persists, I will bring it to the nearest Apple store on Friday..

I bought this on eBay and it is Brand New with every thing still sealed.. I also checked online for its warranty by inputting the serial number and it turns out to be valid till 2010.. This mean I can still bring it to the Apple Store and get it repaired right?

20. arrash macrumors member

21. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Thanks.. :)

22. Moriarty macrumors 6502

It's actually not as non-replaceable as Apple make it out to be... as far as I know it's just a normal battery inside the computer once you open up the bottom... it just has a sticker over it saying that the warranty is void if it is removed by the user.

It will still be under the original Apple warranty, so take it back to Apple and they will replace it for free. Otherwise, once out of warranty, there is a fee for it ($129 or something I think? I'm pretty sure it costs the same as a battery for the old non-unibody Macbook Pro that was user replaceable.)

23. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

I won't do it myself.. I will leave that kind of stuffs to the supposedly "Genius" at Apple Store..

24. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The "sticker" is actually reusable. It's not so much for warranty, as for "user protection", since the drive and memory are user serviceable. They don't want the user to be playing with the battery.