Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

17" Unibody MacBook Pro Orders Begin Arriving

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Two MacRumors readers (123free, UFOGoldorak) have reported receiving their orders for the new 17" unibody MacBook Pro today. UFOGoldorak has also posted preliminary benchmarks for the 2.93 GHz model with 4 GB of RAM.

Originally planned for late January availability, Apple in early February informed customers of a delay that would result in shipments beginning on February 19th. Numerous readers began reporting this weekend that their order statuses had been updated to reflect that their machines were either being prepared for shipment or had already been shipped, several days ahead of Apple's announced shipping date.

Article Link: 17" Unibody MacBook Pro Orders Begin Arriving

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Looking at that picture makes me wish the older design was still in use.

Attachments

• macbook-pro.jpg
    macbook-pro.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 8,670
Comment

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Let the sea of complaining begin to rise. Gosh, the internet has made it so easy to be vocally unsatisfied. For the record, I think it's beautiful and well-featured.

Comment

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Eh... They used to look nicer.

Edit: ^ Apparently we are not allowed to not like it. Only express happiness on the Internet.

Comment

isethx

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
i don't think any of the unibody's ever photograph well, but they look and feel sooo amazing in real life. that's my personal thoughts anyways :)

Comment

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Let the sea of complaining begin to rise. Gosh, the internet has made it so easy to be vocally unsatisfied. For the record, I think it's beautiful and well-featured.

I'm happy for those who ordered and wanted it. However, those of us who don't like the new design will have to go elsewhere for our next laptop upgrade. Maybe once I see one in person I'll change my mind, though! I'll keep an eye out for them.

Comment

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Battery Life?

Can someone please post your experience with battery life. I am about to click the buy it now button, but I want t:eek:o make sure the 8 hours is actually feasible.

Comment

LinuxForever

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
I have to agree with the first post, but I know many of you on here would buy a piece of poo in a box if apple put their name on it.

Comment

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
looking at that picture...I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but it does have a certain apple II feeling, doesn't it? I like it personally.

Comment

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
I'm a bit surprised they waited this long plus buyers would be buying.
The quad cores are out in the laptop PC which leads me to believe 8/16 core macpro, 4 core MacBook pro, MacBook 2 core a/ firewire in June.

Normally you don't wait as incrimental (sp) upgrades no big deal but going 2 to 4 cores is huge (June?) unless that means November. Still, the late 2008 models really tore apart the premium pricing of the grey alum. models like never before seen. I like early models better and for the first time in 2 years, I held onto mbpro and didn't sell after six months (mbp 2.4 early 08)

????? 1year warranty ends march 3rd. Same day u start working for 90% mac IT company. If I miss the window to buy apple care what are my options. Surely the company u work for must have ins with someone? Simply put no $$$ for Apple care right now. Please advise. Mbpro is 11 months old. Thx.

Comment

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
The only thing I dislike about my 15" is the keyboard.. Not because of how it works functionally, but because they decided to use smooth black keys..

Shows every single oily fingerprint and speck of dust that hits it.

Comment

frufox

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
RAM upgradable?

Any idea whether or not the RAM is easily upgradable on your own? I'm not interested in spending $1,200 on an extra 4GB of RAM thru Apple but would like to know if it's my only viable option before purchasing.

I know the 15" is upgradable with a little doing but it also had a removable battery which helped you get to the RAM....

Comment

crobi

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
When I first saw the new design on photo I find those new laptop not very nice. Thinking of the old powerbook with the black keyboard.

But when I see those in real, I chage my mind.

Like every Apple product you need to see it for real before giving your opinion.

So if you see it in real you cannot buy it if it's a piece of poo in the box ;-)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.