Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In recent weeks, multiple carriers including AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, have been competing to offer customers additional data, and today, both Verizon and AT&T have announced more revised data plans that will see customers gaining extra data at no added cost.

AT&T is now offering additional data for its $40 and $70 Mobile Share Value Plan subscribers, offering 3GB of data for $40 per month (up from 2GB of data) and 6GB of data for $70 per month (up from 4GB of data). The plans also come with unlimited talk and text plus unlimited international messaging, with the new data caps available to both new and existing subscribers.

attnewdataplans.jpg

AT&T has also extended its Double the Data offer for higher-data Mobile Share plans until November 15, doubling the data of plans that start at 15GB per month. Under the promotion, customers with monthly shared data plans of 15GB will now be receiving 30GB of data, while those on 20GB, 30GB, 40GB, and 50GB plans will see an increase to 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 100GB of data, respectively.

Following in AT&T's footsteps, Verizon is also offering additional data for its More Everything customers that subscribe to $80 or $100 plans. For a limited amount of time, both new and existing customers can sign up to get 10GB of data for $80 (up from 6GB) or 15GB of data for $100 (up from 10GB). Verizon will be offering the new data plans on November 1.

Verizon has also begun a new program that will see it supplying a $150 credit to new customers who switch to Verizon and purchase a new LTE smartphone under a two-year contract or via the Edge program.

Article Link: AT&T and Verizon Boost Monthly Wireless Data in Ongoing Competition

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Both carriers will still throttle you after so many GBs so big deal. I'll stick with Sprint's unlimited where they only throttle streaming to 1Mbs. Everything else is fast.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Both carriers will still throttle you after so many GBs so big deal. I'll stick with Sprint's unlimited where they only throttle streaming to 1Mbs. Everything else is fast.

Everything else is not fast. Sprint's network is the laughing stock of the cellular world.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
That sounds good and everything, but T-mobile has a $30 plan with unlimited data and text + 100 mins of talk, and they don't throttle you until after 5gb. I know coverage varies, but it's great in my area.

Edit: Whoops, didnt realize this was about shared data plans.

Last edited:

RaoulDuke42

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Los Angeles
Data caps are a crime against humanity. I'm still grand fathered in on my original iPhone unlimited plan with AT&T, but if I want tethering I have to give it up. That, and AT&T continually throttles me and sends me messages when I go over 2.5GBs (I stream a lot of internet radio). Nuts to that. I tested T-Mobile and they're actually pretty damn good here in the LA area. Soon as my iPhone 6 arrives Ma Bell is getting the ole heave-ho!

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm on a 10GB shared ATT plan. Where's my discount or doubled data??

----------

I've never gotten throttled on the 10GB plan I share with my family and we're constantly going over our allotment (and getting charged for it).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We just upgraded our plan yesterday. :(
Same here, mainly to take advantage of the "double data" promotion that was going away after today. Now it seems like the new data tiers would be better, so got to change to those tomorrow I guess.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Data caps are a crime against humanity. I'm still grand fathered in on my original iPhone unlimited plan with AT&T, but if I want tethering I have to give it up. That, and AT&T continually throttles me and sends me messages when I go over 2.5GBs (I stream a lot of internet radio). Nuts to that. I tested T-Mobile and they're actually pretty damn good here in the LA area. Soon as my iPhone 6 arrives Ma Bell is getting the ole heave-ho!
The bigger and even more obvious "crime" was charging for texts, which we've all lived with for a long time before unlimited became available and subsequently much more widespread, although even today there are (older?) plans that charge for texts separately, which is just crazy.

----------

That's only for some users in some situations and only for those with older unlimited data plans. None of that applies to the current plans that are discussed in the article.

jnaks

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008

I don't think NEXT plans get throttled -- or at least the share plan ones.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Verizon Edge requires a 10GB plan (now $100) to get the line access fee reduced to $15 vs $25.

Does this mean that we'll be able to select the upcoming $80 10GB plan and still receive the $15 line access fee?

Guessing not..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Verizon Edge requires a 10GB plan (now $100) to get the line access fee reduced to $15 vs $25.

Does this mean that we'll be able to select the upcoming $80 10GB plan and still receive the $15 line access fee?

Guessing not..
It sounds like it, unless they change the requirement and say that it will now be 15 GB (which will cost the same as 10 GB costs now), or change it to be based on price and apply to a plan that is $100 or more (which again would be equivalent of that new 15 GB or the current 10 GB plan). Hopefully not though and it would still apply to 10 GB, which will now be cheaper by $20 (at $80).

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Sprint

if you live an area with Sprint LTE then they offer the best deals. Still unlimited.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It sounds like it, unless they change the requirement and say that it will now be 15 GB (which will cost the same as 10 GB costs now), or change it to be based on price and apply to a plan that is $100 or more (which again would be equivalent of that new 15 GB or the current 10 GB plan). Hopefully not though and it would still apply to 10 GB, which will now be cheaper by $20 (at $80).

My guess is that they'll still show it as a 10GB plan, with a separate line item (and tracking) for "promotional data".

----------

if you live an area with Sprint LTE then they offer the best deals. Still unlimited.

Yeah, and if you never travel.

I once tried an LTE mobile hotspot from Sprint. I drove all over my city with it, despite what their map said, it sucked.

jimithing1

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
I have read elsewhere that AT&T will double your 10GB plan to 20GB for no additional cost if you call the retention department and ask for it.
I heard this and tried it but it didn't work. I don't think I got the retention department though and might call again to try.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This is still more than I pay for unlimited and 300MB (wife doesn't use it much while out) with 2 iPhones. The only option for me that would save me money or equal it would be the 4GB shared plan. Come on AT&T. This still isn't good enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.