Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With less than two weeks until the launch of Apple Music in over 100 countries, the latest signs of the streaming music service continue to appear in iOS 8.4 and iOS 9 betas. A number of users running the pre-release software versions have shared screenshots showing a new Radio tab in the Music app that displays a Beats 1 demo alongside a list of other stations and genres.

Apple-Music-Radio-Beats-1-Beta-800x689.jpg

The new Radio tab and Beats 1 pre-recording by DJ Zane Lowe have gone live for users in the United States, Canada, Germany, Norway, United Kingdom and select other countries, although it remains unclear if all features of Apple Music will be available worldwide on June 30. The search feature in the Radio tab is working as of now for some users, but Beats 1 and other playlists cannot be listened to yet.

The curated playlists shown in the screenshots cover a wide selection of genres, including classic, indie, pop-hits, all-city, francophone hits and charting music. Searching for and tapping on an individual song brings you to the Apple Music subscription menu that began appearing earlier this month and has revealed possible international pricing of EUR9.99/£9.99 per month in Europe and as low as $2-$3 per month in some countries.

applemusic1-800x600.jpg
Apple Music subscription menu added to iOS 8.4 beta earlier this month

Apple Music was announced last week as an all-in-one streaming music service, live global radio station and social platform for artists to connect with fans. The subscription-based service will be available June 30 for $9.99 per month after a three-month free trial period for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and PC. Apple TV and Android versions of the service will be available in the fall.

Article Link: New Radio Tab With Beats 1 Demo Appears on iOS 8.4 and iOS 9 Betas

DancingTiger01

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2015
What I want to know is: Does Apple Music use up you monthly data on your phone? Or does the data used to run it cost nothing

Reactions: Jason83

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Get users to pay for radio. Wow that takes some balls!!! or poor education from parents to children.

what next?

paying to browse a shop for clothes, electronics or food. I **** you not. Tokenisation of bluetooth and wifi to debit your apple account everytime you enter a shop.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Get users to pay for radio. Wow that takes some balls!!! or poor education from parents to children.

what next?

paying to browse a shop for clothes, electronics or food. I **** you not. Tokenisation of bluetooth and wifi to debit your apple account everytime you enter a shop.
Beats 1 radio is free. You don't have to be signed up for any special plan to listen to it.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009

what next?

You can listen to broadcast radio if you prefer. Yes, it's free, but it's heavily populated with commercials, and you have limited choices with shallow playlists. The Apple Music service is more than "radio". It's meant to go head-to-head with Pandora and Spotify. I have not adopted the pay-for-streaming music yet, as I have an extensive music library (stared in ancient times) and prefer to own my music. Your analogies are misplaced, but I'm not sure you completely understand. If you prefer broadcast radio, download the app Tune-In Radio. It has all of your local stations, plus hundreds, if not thousands, of US and overseas stations. It's free (except for data charges if not using wifi). I only use it if I need to hear an AM station...much better sound quality that AM!

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
With 3 DJs having shows in different time zones, can they speak LIVE for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

To be honest I haven't looked into the details of Beats 1 but how is this going to work?

ItzJordan

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
Australia
I am currently in Australia and right before Apple brought out Beats, Beats brought a service called 'MOG' which was owned by a telecommunications provider, Telstra in Australia. Telstra promised with the partnership of Beats, Beats will be capable of delivering its music service to Australia... MOG was unmetered on Telstra Mobile network which was great, hopefully Apple Music will be the same, at least in Australia. Here in Australia, we have basically no unmetered services...

Reactions: orbital~debris

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I am not sure, maybe I am wrong, but I feel this will be the next Ping

There's too much riding on this. It won't go the way of Ping but I could see it overhauled if it doesn't perform as expected.

With 3 DJs having shows in different time zones, can they speak LIVE for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

To be honest I haven't looked into the details of Beats 1 but how is this going to work?

I imagine it's like the Guest DJs on iTunes Radio where they have a prerecorded show that just plays when you access it.

Reactions: Jason83

PopinFRESH

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
It depends on the quality of the stream. If it's a 128kbps stream, then 128kb :)

Which is about 1MB per minute.

not quite. 128 Kbps is 16 kB/s which is about 0.012Mb per second or 0.72Mb per minute. Yeah I get .72 could be said to be "about 1Mb" but that is a pretty big difference once you start to add up over a longer duration. For example over an hour that becomes 43.2Mb vs 60Mb. People average about 2.5hr per day of terrestrial radio (streaming radio is probably higher for this demographic but I didn't look up the data) so in a given months time that would equate to about 77.5 hours. This would be about 3348Mb vs 4650Mb.

Lastly, this also does not factor in the potential for other compression technologies that may be used to reduce the size of data in-transit, however, I wouldn't assume this when trying to plan how much streaming music you can listen to with your data plan.

-PopinFRESH

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
I'm excited about this, but my wish list is 1. as a Beats subscriber, I still want three months free. 2. I want it to include my iTunes Match subscription.

Edit - According to the FAQ all users will receive the free there month trial period. Good move, Apple.

Last edited:

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
I am not sure, maybe I am wrong, but I feel this will be the next Ping
It's possible it might never overtake Spotify and may not be the success that Apple claims/hopes it will be, but it will absolutely NOT be the next Ping. Sorry, but that is just silly. This is a service that people are already using and a service that people understand, not to mention one that people are VERY aware of. Ping was none of those things.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
not quite. 128 Kbps is 16 kB/s which is about 0.012Mb per second or 0.72Mb per minute. Yeah I get .72 could be said to be "about 1Mb" but that is a pretty big difference once you start to add up over a longer duration. For example over an hour that becomes 43.2Mb vs 60Mb. People average about 2.5hr per day of terrestrial radio (streaming radio is probably higher for this demographic but I didn't look up the data) so in a given months time that would equate to about 77.5 hours. This would be about 3348Mb vs 4650Mb.

Lastly, this also does not factor in the potential for other compression technologies that may be used to reduce the size of data in-transit, however, I wouldn't assume this when trying to plan how much streaming music you can listen to with your data plan.

-PopinFRESH
IF you are gonna be picky at least get your math right.

128 kbps = 128000 bps / 8 = 16000 B/s
16000 B/s / 1024^2 = 0.015... MiB/s
0.015... * 60s = .92 MiB/min

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.