Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music appears to be experiencing some issues today, with some users reporting continual 503 errors for the last several hours. When attempting to play an Apple Music song via iTunes, an error message that says "The shared library 'Cloud Music Library' is not responding."

musiclibrarynotresponding.jpg

More annoying than debilitating, the error can be dismissed and music will play after another attempt to connect. The error also seems to pop up occasionally when no music is being played. Errors are being reported by MacRumors readers, redditors, and people on Apple's Support Communities.

Apple's System Status page is not reporting an outage at this time and the 503 error does not appear to be affecting all users. It is not clear what is causing the issue or when it will be fixed by Apple.

Since its June 30 debut, Apple Music has experienced a few outages, including an hour-long Beats 1 radio outage on launch day.

Article Link: Many Apple Music Listeners Seeing 503 iCloud Connection Errors

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Yep. I contacted Apple Support regarding this just a little bit ago. They are "investigating" it. At least it's widespread, makes me feel better.

ryandwayne

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
I was also on the phone with AppleCare yesterday about this same issue. iPhones & iPads don't seem to be effects. Only iTunes on my Mac. Finally some wide-spread news about it is nice.

szimme86

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
I was on the phone with apple waiting for them to figure out the issue when i saw this article lol THANKS :)

AppLvr4Life

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
VA
I contacted Apple about it. She did a screen share with me, had me go into firewall, made me turn "on" firewall which I did not realize was off (Shame on me! :p). Told me that firewall had to be on in order for Apple Music to work properly. It immediately fixed the issue for me, at least so far. Crazy...

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
This happened to me for around an hour, and then after I restarted my router it disappeared. Maybe that was just coincidental though.

f0ku5

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2014
I contacted Apple about it. She did a screen share with me, had me go into firewall, made me turn "on" firewall which I did not realize was off (Shame on me! :p). Told me that firewall had to be on in order for Apple Music to work properly. It immediately fixed the issue for me, at least so far. Crazy...
Haha wtf :D This is the most stupid thing I've heard in my entire life.

redsoxunixgeek

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
Salt Lake City YOOTah
10.5.4 503 Service Unavailable
The server is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. The implication is that this is a temporary condition which will be alleviated after some delay. If known, the length of the delay MAY be indicated in a Retry-After header. If no Retry-After is given, the client SHOULD handle the response as it would for a 500 response.

Note: The existence of the 503 status code does not imply that a
server must use it when becoming overloaded. Some servers may wish
to simply refuse the connection.

cavalierfh

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Not for nothing, but this is why I am holding out for a few months for the 'initial shakedown' to work kinks out. Apple hasn't always been stellar IMO in network peering/availability when it comes to iTunes, so I assumed stuff like this would crop up. Not banging the service, but especially if all my music is out on the net.. I want to be able to play it! ^_^.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I'm heartily pleased not to have tried Apple Music or upgraded to iTunes 12.2.

I guess this is the face of the new Apple: beta software for everyone.

Diversity rules; both good and bad software is given equal status.

Reactions: midwich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.