Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 9.1, the first major update to the tvOS operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 9.1 has been in testing since November 3, just a few days after the final version of tvOS was released alongside the new Apple TV in October.

tvOS 9.1 can be downloaded over-the-air through the Settings app on the fourth-generation Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update.

apple_tv_4_software_update_720.jpg

tvOS 9.1 betas introduced support for Siri search for Apple Music, allowing fourth-generation Apple TV owners to ask Siri to play content from Apple Music. Siri for Apple Music on the Apple TV works similarly to Siri for Apple Music on iOS devices, enabling queries like "What was the top song in 1980?" or "Play Adele's latest single." It is not yet clear if this feature made it into the final version of tvOS 9.1.

The tvOS update includes several bug fixes for issues discovered in the current version of tvOS, and according to beta testing notes, it features improvements to networking and scrolling.

tvOS 9.1 is the first major update to tvOS, but it's the second update overall. Apple previously released tvOS 9.0.1 with under-the-hood bug fixes and performance improvements.

Update: According to Apple's release notes for tvOS 9.1, the update includes support for the Remote app for iOS and Apple Watch and it introduces Siri support for Apple Music on the device.
This update includes general software and performance improvements and these features:

- Siri for Apple Music: Search, play, and control your music on Apple TV.2
- Remote app for iOS: Use your iOS device to quickly enter text on screen and navigate Apple TV.
- Remote app for Apple Watch: Use your Apple Watch to navigate Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 9.1 for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

Reactions: mistafro

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I love days like this when it's just an onslaught of Apple OS updates.

And yay, I can finally tell Siri to play Apple Music :D:cool:

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Can we get a rundown of what's new? My main questions:

1. Any update to setting up the AppleTV and making authentication easier?
2. Any changes to Home Sharing. Can Siri search my iTunes connected via Home Sharing?
3. Any speed improvements to apps like Plesk?
4. Remote App update?
5. App Store changes?

I'm on the fence on buying an AppleTV until some of these issues are addressed.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011

Apple today released tvOS 9.1, the first major update to the tvOS operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 9.1 has been in testing since November 3, just a few days after the final version of tvOS was released alongside the new Apple TV in October.

tvOS 9.1 can be downloaded over-the-air through the Settings app on the fourth-generation Apple TV by going to System -> Software Update.

apple_tv_4_software_update_720.jpg

tvOS 9.1 betas introduced support for Siri search for Apple Music, allowing fourth-generation Apple TV owners to ask Siri to play content from Apple Music. Siri for Apple Music on the Apple TV works similarly to Siri for Apple Music on iOS devices, enabling queries like "What was the top song in 1980?" or "Play Adele's latest single." It is not yet clear if this feature made it into the final version of tvOS 9.1.

The tvOS update includes several bug fixes for issues discovered in the current version of tvOS, and according to beta testing notes, it features improvements to networking and scrolling.

tvOS 9.1 is the first major update to tvOS, but it's the second update overall. Apple previously released tvOS 9.0.1 with under-the-hood bug fixes and performance improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 9.1 for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Now to update my appletv

Then all i need is more apps, siri functionality, and for home sharing to stop killing itself every hour or so.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008

The server at http can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So is there at least bluetooth keyboard support? I really don't understand why it doesn't have this - it is an iPhone in a box and iPhone has supported bluetooth keyboards since like, 5 years ago.

jkellynewyork

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
The new update is not showing up on my Apple TV. Says I am up to date with the 9.0.1 software.

UPDATE - I was able to get it - something was acting up with Apple TV - did a restart and the update was there. Very cool. Thanks.

Last edited:

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
I've completely bypassed homesharing now--it hasn't worked for me since July of this year (after using it daily for years and years). I haven't been able to determine if it was an iTunes update, a Windows 10 update, or switching internet service providers that broke mine, and I've spent tens of manhours trying to fix it.

Either way, with the new AppleTV, I just run everything through Plex instead. It's better than homesharing in every way, and I'll never go back.

Once they give us siri functionality for Plex libraries, and a better method for typing, I'll be elated.

Reactions: godrifle and rdlink

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
As an aside, if your media is DRM locked to iTunes, then yeah... Plex won't work (at least iTunes movies don't).

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've completely bypassed homesharing now--it hasn't worked for me since July of this year (after using it daily for years and years). I haven't been able to determine if it was an iTunes update, a Windows 10 update, or switching internet service providers that broke mine, and I've spent tens of manhours trying to fix it.

Either way, with the new AppleTV, I just run everything through Plex instead. It's better than homesharing in every way, and I'll never go back.

Once they give us siri functionality for Plex libraries, and a better method for typing, I'll be elated.

Plex on the Apple TV is amazing, and has allowed me to use it to replace everything I was previously using.

One box for Apple media, Netflix and the stuff on my server. It's a dream.

jkellynewyork

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
Plex on the Apple TV is amazing, and has allowed me to use it to replace everything I was previously using.

One box for Apple media, Netflix and the stuff on my server. It's a dream.

Yes - I find Plex extraordinary on the Apple TV -- the new Apple TV is giving me the feeling of the first Iphone - a lot of fun - new stuff coming out. It also has an app for live tv channels through HD Homerun. Might get a cheap used one. Dont ever remember a streaming device being this fun and powerful. Look forward to more great apps.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
Reactions: nrose101

Charlbury

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Fingers crossed they've returned the "Photo Wall" screensaver. An even bigger loss than the use of the remote app.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
We don't care much about AirPlay sources and not everyone has an Apple Watch (I do). They need to update the Remote app because text input is awful without the keyboard.
Agreed. And/or support for Bluetooth keyboards as in the ATV3.
By now I can fly back and forth on the single line of letters, but a QWERTY on screen keyboard would even be an improvement...
If you have an old Apple TV remote or universal remote, use that to navigate to the text input. You will get a square keyboard layout. But for the touch remote, the single line actually works better IMO (since you can move quickly over a distance by flicking your thumb, but navigating a grid in small steps is somewhat cumbersome compared to a traditional click remote).

PS: The Remote app actually works again with tvOS 9.2. :)

Reactions: bheathain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.