Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Series 2 didn't change much visually from the original version of the device that launched in 2015, but Apple did introduce one new version of Series 2 that could be immediately distinguished from earlier iterations: the Ceramic Apple Watch Edition. The Ceramic model comes packed in with a Magnetic Apple Watch Charging Dock and a Cloud Sport Band, so many users were curious about what the color would look like with other Apple bands, and one Redditor has posted an extensive collection of photos to showcase just that.

Ceramic-bands-2-800x353.jpg

Sold for $1,250 (38mm) and $1,300 (42mm), the high-end model of Series 2 is definitely expensive, but still far below the first generation's $10,000+ "Edition" models that were made in pure gold. In vvedge's Imgur album, the Ceramic Edition is paired with a few Woven Nylon bands, including Gold/Red, Gold/Blue, Yellow/Light Gray, Space Orange/Anthracite, and Black.

Ceramic-Bands-800x353.jpg

Higher-priced bands also got paired with Ceramic, in a variety of colors. Vvedge showed off the Space Black and Silver Link Bracelet, the Space Black and Silver Milanese Loop, and the Marine Blue and Saddle Brown Classic Buckle. Because the stainless steel of the lugs and bands are visually in opposition to Ceramic's smooth white surface, some users might not like the look of the more costly bands paired with Ceramic.

Ceramic-bands-3-800x353.jpg

The Stone and Storm Gray Leather Loop pair better with the device, as do a few of the basic Sport Bands Apple offers. Sport Bands in White, Black, Turquoise, Light Pink, Midnight Blue, Lavender, and Red are all displayed in the album. Apple's intended paired band with Ceramic -- dubbed "Cloud" -- caps vvedge's image collection, and remains the only Sport Band with matching white pin.

Apart from the Ceramic Edition, Apple introduced a number of new collections for the Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 1, as well as a few new colors of the Sport Bands, Woven Nylon, and Classic Buckle. Most users began receiving their Series 2 models on Friday, but a few late pre-order customers still have a few weeks to wait until their Apple Watch comes in the mail.

Check out vvedge's full Imgur album to see all of the Ceramic Apple Watch Edition band combos.

Article Link: Ceramic Apple Watch Paired With Milanese Loop, Classic Buckle, and More

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
I think a gold-plated Apple Watch Edition (at a substantially lower price than the pure gold ones) would be so much nicer than this.

Reactions: hufflepuffpastry

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It only looks white in two photos (to me). If it was not in the title I would think we were looking at the silver sport.

That said, white band seems to be the best band choice for the white body.

Best looking I think is the stainless body. I have the sport version because one launch it was cheaper and an unknown and now I still have it because of the display difference and how well its held up over all this time. I only have a tiny scratch in one corner.

Reactions: 5105973

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
In horological circles, black ceramic tends to be prefeerred. And in light of Apple’s inexplicable choice to release a white watch in the fall, the white sports band is likely the best option for this watch. The Mileanese loop does look pretty sharp though, IMO.

Reactions: RevTEG

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
This looks like a bad idea. Perhaps a black ceramic would have made more sense?
Even when I tilt my head to the side, the white still doesn't make sense, and tilting my head to the side might usually help me get it.
Maybe I'm not squinting enough.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
IMO the shape of nylon bands is plain ugly, the endings (where they attach to the case) feel just.. wrong.
the rounded ends like of the sport bands are much nicer.
and the white ceramic somehow doesn't seem to fit well to the black front/face.

Reactions: Sandstorm

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Can anyone comment on the durability of ceramic watches or Apple Watch Ceramic? As I thought ceramic is known to be a brittle material and chips easily or is this some sort of hybrid ceramic that's used in watches?

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Ceramic needs the white leather buckle
[doublepost=1474303239][/doublepost]
Can anyone comment on the durability of ceramic watches or Apple Watch Ceramic? As I thought ceramic is known to be a brittle material and chips easily or is this some sort of hybrid ceramic that's used in watches?

Yes it's a ceramic used in watches. It is practically impervious to scratches. It could chip. Probably at the same force that would crack the sapphire.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think most of those look pretty bad combinations, but it's all subjective. Good luck to anyone who can afford one and likes whatever band they like, I don't know why anyone else should really care.

So far I think I like the look of the black Stainless Steel and (black) Milanese Loop combo the best, regardless of price.

Reactions: Mac 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.