Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of iOS and iPadOS 15 today, the popular password management app 1Password has released an accompanying update that brings its desktop-class extension to the iPhone and iPad.

1password-safari-extension.jpg

With iOS and iPadOS 15, Apple allows Safari extensions developers to release their previously exclusive Safari for Mac extensions to the iPhone and iPad, allowing users to use extensions on all of their devices. 1Password was one of the first to tease support earlier in June, and with its latest App Store update today, it's bringing it to all users.

With its Safari extension on iPhone and iPad, 1Password users now have immediate access to all their passwords and 1Password entries right inside of Safari, including in-page suggestions. 1Password for Safari uses on-device machine learning to automatically fill in the login process of complicated websites and even automatically fills in two-factor authentication codes.

On iPadOS 15, 1Password's extension is even more feature-rich, featuring a complete in-Safari user interface that "turbocharges any iPad." 1Password along with its Safari extension is introducing other app improvements and bug fixes. Users can learn more about 1Password's announcement over on its blog.

Article Link: 1Password Releases Safari Extension for iOS 15 and iPadOS 15

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I was excited to see this until the plug-in notified me that it doesn’t support standalone vaults and asked me to subscribe. I just disabled it instead, since I have no interest in their subscription. Particularly now that Keychain natively supports 2FA.

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
London, UK
Is it me or do you have to type in your password for the extension whenever it expires?

It would be better if you could unlock the extension with faceID, as my setting it to require the password after one day, and my master password is a PITA to keep typing in every day.

Can we get FaceID for extension unlock? Or if it’s already there tell me how to enable it 👍🏻

Reactions: flowsy and mhnd

Examinus

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Wouldn’t work for me and I suspected it was because an experimental feature required was needed. Because iPadOS and iOS don’t have a Restore Defaults option (why on earth not?!), I followed this and it worked. No idea which option is was though.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2018
I was excited to see this until the plug-in notified me that it doesn’t support standalone vaults and asked me to subscribe. I just disabled it instead, since I have no interest in their subscription. Particularly now that Keychain natively supports 2FA.
Agree. Every time I open something with 1PW, Keychain asks me if I want to update my password. I say yes. Eventually, Keychain will be good enough so that if 1PW ever goes full subscription and EOLs the standalone version, Keychain will be easier to go to full time. If I could import 1PW into Keychain, I probably would.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008

john-c

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
I'm still using old version I will never use subscription what if they get hacked all your passwords for every single sites you visit will exposed?
I too am still using the old version, and will never go subscription.

A free open-source equivalent worth checking out is Bitwarden: https://bitwarden.com. I haven't tried it yet but believe you can transfer your data from 1-password.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I was sad when they went subscription. Still using the old version I bought that doesn't make things as easy. One of these days I'll go subscription, but not today.
Yes, this new feature requires 1Password subscription. I was finally going to bite the bullet and switch from 1Password 7 perpetual license to subscription, then Electron thing happened.

Yes, I tried the 1Password 8 beta and it's not as horrible as Slack, but I use the 1Password desktop app constantly (I use many websites with basic access authentication, which requires copy pasting). And I find it unpleasant enough regression from 1Password 7 that I would hesitate to spend $60/year.

I am now migrating to Apple's iCloud password management. It's not quite as fully featured and accessing password from Safari or System Preferences (in Monterey), not to mention their UI, is not ideal. But I just can't leave my passwords on a platform that is becoming less native.

jcshas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
I was sad when they went subscription. Still using the old version I bought that doesn't make things as easy. One of these days I'll go subscription, but not today.
I agree and recently made the switch from 1Password to Bitwarden (free version). 1Password's OS integration is better than Bitwarden but its not worth the subscription fee IMO.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
I'm still using old version I will never use subscription what if they get hacked all your passwords for every single sites you visit will exposed?

The subscription has nothing to do with hosting in the cloud.

Every password manager out there uses cloud hosting, including Apple. 1Password is the most secure and robust of all. I have been using it from 13 years.

Last edited:

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
I have an old non-subscription version of 1Password that syncs to iCloud. Hurrah, no subscriptions for me.

When this update happened, I thought why not, try out the extension. Part way through the setup there were some dire warnings about 1Password having access to everything in Safari, so I cancelled.

Mostly in Safari I just use keychain anyway, so no big deal.

MNGR

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
Not quite. 1P with local vault is not hosted on the vendors servers
So looking for another solution when 1P changes

Reactions: ivan86

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
The subscription has nothing to do with hosting in the cloud.

Every password manager out there uses cloud hosting, including Apple. 1Password is the most secure and robust from all. I have been using it from 13 years.
What’s funny is these people probably use the built in browsers password ”manager” and let it sync across device, it’ll still a cloud.

HiVolt

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yeah I just tried it, told me the same thing...

They can fly a kite, I'm not paying them a monthly ransom.

canadianreader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
And the extension doesn’t support local vaults. It’s like the 1Password team is begging their users to look for alternatives. If anyone is in that boat, Minimalist Password Manager is looking like a good alternative - http://minimalistpassword.com/

They just screwed thousands of users by removing the standalone feature in version 7.8 without warning. Glad I didn't hit the update button.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
And the extension doesn’t support local vaults. It’s like the 1Password team is begging their users to look for alternatives. If anyone is in that boat, Minimalist Password Manager is looking like a good alternative - http://minimalistpassword.com/
it only works on Apple. If you’re using just Apple stuff, might as well just use KeyChain.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I will never use subscription what if they get hacked all your passwords for every single sites you visit will exposed?
A subscription has nothing to do with 1Password being hacked, on the current version since you can still have local vaults.

Reactions: sphexx

noraa

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
A subscription has nothing to do with 1Password being hacked, on the current version since you can still have local vaults.
The iOS extension specifically does NOT work with local vaults. Thus, you must have a subscription AND store all your passwords on 1P’s servers. Thus, subscriptions + non-local vaults are nearly inseparable at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.