Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1password-250x250.jpg
1Password has restored the option for customers who originally purchased its iOS app to create a local vault during setup, after users queued up online to voice their frustrations with the fact that the option was silently removed in an update.

The Canadian password management service caused a string of complaints on Reddit and elsewhere earlier this month when a v7.3.3 update to the 1Password iOS app removed the free-to-use local vault option from the app setup process without alerting users to the change.

Withdrawing the option meant that users who reinstalled the iOS app for whatever reason could no longer configure a local vault on their device, even if they'd paid an upfront fee for the app or bought the Pro in-app purchase in the past for exactly this purpose.

The change meant that users looking to maintain local vaults on iPhone or iPad had to either pay for a 1Password membership, or sync their iOS device with a standalone vault created by 1Password for Mac or 1Password Windows - both of which require a subscription.

The good news is that 1Password has listened to user feedback, and the latest update, v7.3.4, restores the ability to create standalone vaults from setup to customers who had previously purchased 1Password 4 for iOS or the Pro Features in-app purchase.

However, for new users at least, there's no longer any way to use the password management service without subscribing to a paid plan.

Article Link: 1Password Restores Free-to-Use Local Vault Option in Latest Version of iOS App

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
1Password are forcing us over to the subscription model, still waiting for 1Password to kill the standalone version all together.

Currently there are no ways to create a new Vault from an iOS device without subscribing to 1Password.
In my opinion 1Password should al least offer a free, limited version of 1Password. Identical to the subscription, but with limitations e.g. max devices, max number of items, etc

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I purchased the version of 1Password that offered multi platform support, windows, mac and I had the iOS version (I forget if I paid for that or not). The move to a subscription based model, meant I was never going to upgrade. Not strictly because of this, but other factors, have made me re-think my decision to keep using what amounts to an unsupported version.

In short, instead of supporting the older customers, they're driving them away - at least they are for me.

PlayfullyEvil

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
I purchased the version of 1Password that offered multi platform support, windows, mac and I had the iOS version (I forget if I paid for that or not). The move to a subscription based model, meant I was never going to upgrade. Not strictly because of this, but other factors, have made me re-think my decision to keep using what amounts to an unsupported version.

In short, instead of supporting the older customers, they're driving them away - at least they are for me.
I feel the same way. I too purchased a multi-platform version. Prior to that, I remember purchasing two iOS versions (one for the iPhone and the other for the iPad); shortly thereafter, they released their unified iOS version.

Suffice it to say, I refuse to upgrade to their subscription model as my current versions work perfectly with my workflow. Until they stop supporting local device vaults, I'll keep using what I have now. Once they cease to support that, I'll find an alternative means to manage my data.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I cut LastPass, and never looked back after I moved to the open-source Bitwarden.

This is exactly what happens when you trust your most important information to a private company. They can remove features at any given time, or upcharge as much as they want.

Obviously, most companies are like this and there aren't always great free alternatives.

But Bitwarden is available to you right now, and with the ability to easily import your 1Password vault.

Why wait like a sitting duck for 1Password to pounce upon you again?

Last edited:

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
I cut LastPass, and never looked back after I moved to the open-source Bitwarden.

This is exactly what happens when you trust your most important information to a private company. They can remove features at any given time, or upcharge as much as they want.

Obviously, most companies are like this and there aren't always great free alternatives.

But Bitwarden is available to you right now, and with the ability to easily import your LastPass vault.

Why wait like a sitting duck for LastPass to pounce upon you again?

You mean 1Password, not LastPass?

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Due to the extent of my passwords and many years of using 1Password (paying for upgrades several times both on iOS and macOS) I could consider to accept being forced to pay for a subscription (even if it feels awkward due to all the money I already paid to this company).

However, if they ever remove the iCloud feature and force me to use their own cloud service, then it’s definitely goodbye forever—period!

Macusercom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Vienna, Austria
I stopped using 1Password a few months ago and switched to Bitwarden. I was using my purchased 1Password 4 version on Windows and a Chrome update changed its signature so that 1Password wouldn't be able to recognise whether Chrome was legit or not.

There was no workaround except disabling signature checks which is a security concern. As no updates will be released for version 4 I would have had to buy a new license or pay for a subscription. No thanks.

Last edited:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Used this app for years. I'll gladly pay flat fees each year or so for upgrades, but I am not signing up for subscriptions. Beyond my bills at home and Netflix and Apple Music, that's it. I know companies need money to continue development, but I need money too. If the day comes when they take away a flat-fee local vault, I will move to something else.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I was waiting for 1Password to force older existing customers to the subscription model. They've back tracked for now, but the writing is on the wall, they want you on their subscription model

Correct, I was a huge fan and have purchased every new version they've released until they decided to remove the perpetual license version from the App Store. Bye Agile Bits.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I hope they continue keep one licence app. There are many reason why people don't want pay subscription.

If they remove that choice for me then I be force to move somewhere else, possible maybe Enpass. At moment I still using 1Password standalone.

Reactions: zzu

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I was waiting for 1Password to force older existing customers to the subscription model. They've back tracked for now, but the writing is on the wall, they want you on their subscription model

This is why I've been making sure my passwords make it into Keychain. I love 1Password, don't get me wrong. But now that I have an alternative that in many cases works better (for me), I won't be losing sleep if they stop supporting us license buyers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is why I've been making sure my passwords make it into Keychain. I love 1Password, don't get me wrong. But now that I have an alternative that in many cases works better (for me), I won't be losing sleep if they stop supporting us license buyers.
I'm cross platform, and so I need something that I can use between macOS, windows, and iOS.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I understand the aversion to subscriptions, and I only pay a couple myself
  • Dropbox
  • NordVPN
  • 1Password
But I find real value in 1Password myself
I use very strong unique passwords over multi-platform and it works well for me
And with a couple of dollars a month I don't find it egregious at all compared to some

Hell, I spend more than that in a vending machine each month for far less value

I always find it fascinating how tight people get with their money when it comes to apps, with or without subscriptions, and yet aren't near as discerning in other areas of their finances

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I understand the aversion to subscriptions, and I only pay a couple myself
  • Dropbox
  • NordVPN
  • 1Password
But I find real value in 1Password myself
I use very strong unique passwords over multi-platform and it works well for me
And with a couple of dollars a month I don't find it egregious at all compared to some

Ditto. The only subscriptions I use are 1Password, NordVPN, Office 365 (because I can get it cheap) and Quicken. I think 1Password is both worth the cost of the subscription, and important enough to pay it. And I haven't found another password manager even close to as good.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Forced membership = me going back to a paper notebook, seriously.

And membership-sellers have to stop saying "it's only the equivalent of one coffee per ...".
Between all the subscriptions out there, this is turning into "the equivalent of a car payment per..." (Ok maybe a bit much, but u get it :p)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
And at an insanely high cost.

I generally abandon apps that switch to subscription models.

Insanely high costs are relative I suppose

My monthly bill for my iPhone X was pretty high, especially coupled with my AT&T plan
My natural gas bill during the winter and my power bill in the summer can be high at times

But for a service that keeps most of my important things secure on all my devices cross platform, I find less than $3 a month worth it

But yeah, I suppose it can be characterized as insanely high for some

1password.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.