1Password Restores Free-to-Use Local Vault Option in Latest Version of iOS App

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
This is one case in which I'm happy to pay a subscription for it. It's one of the most essential apps I use.

There are a lot of lame subscriptions out there (looking at you, Parallels) but complaining about a 1Password subscription is similar to how nobody wants to pay $0.99 for apps. You want free options for 1Password? They are a business... it costs money to pay people to maintain the app, add features, etc. Don't be cheap.

They probably moved to a subscription model because they found that relying on new purchases with a one-time fee wasn't sustainable. Because people like free downloads. That's why all iOS games are free with IAP. That's your fault. Thanks for that.

So yes you can go back to writing your passwords down in a paper notebook (lol) but you have to admit you're giving up a LOT to do that. And that has value.

clarancebfhbrisbane

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2019
It's sad to see the tone and attitude by the developers... particularly on their forums.

Here they are a bit more constrained with the arrogance because they don't have the ability to delete posts and shadow-ban people they disagree with.
If you posted on their discussion forums with non-cheerleading feedback, maybe you can go back and check in incognito mode if they silenced your voice too.
I've noticed it multiple times that constructive and valid posts from others magically 'disappear' if they are deemed dissatisfactory.

Considering my previous experiences communicating with them this is perfectly in line with expectations. Truly a pity considering the respected past.

This was in no way, shape or form an accident, but a planned feature that unfortunately backfired.

The fake politeness is just that. In reality they detest feedback, which isn't cheerleading, so much that my account was also shadow-banned so no-one would see my comments.

Attitude that sums it up: "You're doing it wrong, your use case is not important, we don't owe you nothing....Oh, and please subscribe."

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Insanely high costs are relative I suppose

My monthly bill for my iPhone X was pretty high, especially coupled with my AT&T plan
My natural gas bill during the winter and my power bill in the summer can be high at times

But for a service that keeps most of my important things secure on all my devices cross platform, I find less than $3 a month worth it

But yeah, I suppose it can be characterized as insanely high for some

View attachment 848991
You missed the point. There are more and more services added to subscription plans and all together it gets costly for many people.
It’s not fair first offering full paid versions and then forcing people into subscriptions.
And it’s not fair making fun of people over a complaint for a 2.99 USD monthly cost. People complaining about this isn’t necessarily poor people but smart people with respect of what this trend is leading to in the future.
In the future, too many subscription plans will indeed be a large spread problem for many many people since more and more companies will make use of that system. It’s a trend and it’s important to show respect to what that could (and eventually will) lead to.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It's sad to see the tone and attitude by the developers... particularly on their forums.

Here they are a bit more constrained with the arrogance because they don't have the ability to delete posts and shadow-ban people they disagree with.
If you posted on their discussion forums with non-cheerleading feedback, maybe you can go back and check in incognito mode if they silenced your voice too.
I've noticed it multiple times that constructive and valid posts from others magically 'disappear' if they are deemed dissatisfactory.

Considering my previous experiences communicating with them this is perfectly in line with expectations. Truly a pity considering the respected past.

This was in no way, shape or form an accident, but a planned feature that unfortunately backfired.

The fake politeness is just that. In reality they detest feedback, which isn't cheerleading, so much that my account was also shadow-banned so no-one would see my comments.

Attitude that sums it up: "You're doing it wrong, your use case is not important, we don't owe you nothing....Oh, and please subscribe."
That hasn't been my experience at all, and I received excellent support the one time I posted in their Forums
Not saying it doesn't happen or didn't happen to you, but just that it wasn't my experience
I suppose if it was, I would be disgruntled too
[doublepost=1563543219][/doublepost]
You missed the point. There are more and more services added to subscription plans and all together it gets costly for many people.
It’s not fair first offering full paid versions and then forcing people into subscriptions.
And it’s not fair making fun of people over a complaint for a 2.99 USD monthly cost.
In the future, too many subscription plans will indeed be a large spread problem for many many people since more and more companies will make use of that system. It’s a trend and it’s important to show respect to what that could (and eventually will) lead to.
Which is why I pick and choose what is of value to me and what isn't
Adobe Creative Cloud? Doesn't provide me value for the money, so I don't use it
1Password does

Those companies that move to a subscription plan will either provide value or they want and their business will reflect that

jace88

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
As a long term user of 1Password having bought 1Password 4 on Windows, bought it on Mac (forget which version but it was a while back), iOS IAP and Android IAP, I was pretty wrapped up in the ecosystem with sync to Dropbox. Once Dropbox introduced the limits on devices though, that caused me to really rethink what am I doing.

1Password announced they have zero intentions to support other cloud providers now since they are pushing their own subscription model, and the price they charge relative to the value seems poor at best. I actually ended up paying a bit more for Dropbox for one month to let me add my devices back but wish 1Password would have just supported OneDrive since I am a long term Office 365 subscriber too.

All in all though, I was just annoyed that 1Password pushes the subscription models o hard that they make it nearly impossible to work out the price of buying 1Password 7 without it. Sadly enough I did feel compelled to buy 1Password 7 so that I could use Windows Hello but I don’t think any of the new features or UI (in hindsight) were worth it. I am very entrenched with a lot of data in there and even getting my wife onboard, but the day they mandate subscriptions, I will get out of there real quick.

tanoanian

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
It's a password manager not an office platform...meant to be a small, secure lightweight applet for MANAGING passwords. All the subscription model does is generate revenue for Agile Bits. It adds zero value for the end user. Sorry Ben but you're completely in the wrong on this one. I loved version 6...but I'm out and going open source.

Jsfrederick

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
Fredericksburg, VA, USA
I feel the same way. I too purchased a multi-platform version. Prior to that, I remember purchasing two iOS versions (one for the iPhone and the other for the iPad); shortly thereafter, they released their unified iOS version.

Suffice it to say, I refuse to upgrade to their subscription model as my current versions work perfectly with my workflow. Until they stop supporting local device vaults, I'll keep using what I have now. Once they cease to support that, I'll find an alternative means to manage my data.
I've been looking at Bitwarden ( https://bitwarden.com ) as a potential replacement for 1Password. So far my testing is going well. I do have unique needs as I have the 1Password Family account with the entire house using it. I'll still have to pay for BitWarden as I want the multiple accounts and the security features, specifically YubiKey support.

Heineken

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
I understand the aversion to subscriptions, and I only pay a couple myself
  • Dropbox
  • NordVPN
  • 1Password
But I find real value in 1Password myself
I use very strong unique passwords over multi-platform and it works well for me
And with a couple of dollars a month I don't find it egregious at all compared to some

Hell, I spend more than that in a vending machine each month for far less value

I always find it fascinating how tight people get with their money when it comes to apps, with or without subscriptions, and yet aren't near as discerning in other areas of their finances
I have a lifetime account of Windscribe for 59 bucks.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
This is why I've been making sure my passwords make it into Keychain. I love 1Password, don't get me wrong. But now that I have an alternative that in many cases works better (for me), I won't be losing sleep if they stop supporting us license buyers.
I would gladly use Keychain if there was Chrome extension for it or web access (the Apple iCloud suite for Windows requires admin rights, and thus I cannot easily install it on my work computer).
[doublepost=1563545351][/doublepost]
I stopped using 1Password a few months ago and switched to BitWarden. I was using my purchased 1Password 4 version on Windows and a Chrome update changed its signature so that 1Password wouldn't be able to recognise whether Chrome was legit or not.

There was no workaround except disabling signature checks which is a security concern. As no updates will be released for version 4 I would have had to buy a new license or a subscription. No thanks.
I am currently on LastPass, but I am thinking about making the move to BitWarden. Is the iOS app good?

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
Wait, can someone explain things to me. I rely on 1password for my life, it has all the info of everything. I know none of my passwords, accounts, security questions, and bank info. I know the 1password shortcuts by muscle memory.

1-I have the 6.8 version on MacOS, does this mean I can no longer update to the version 7 for a paid license? they canceled the paid license all together?

2-If I opt for subscription, can I store my passes locally or do I have to use a cloud service?

3-If I purchase a subscription, will I be able to use 1password if I was offline? Or do I have to be connected to the internet? How will it know I am subscribed if I am not connected to the net? Subscription usually means logging/authenticating online somehow.

4-What is the best closest app to 1password that is free or paid license that can use local storage not cloud, and how do I migrate all my data over? I am not willing to store my whole life data online in one file no matter how much they tell us its secure and safe. Every other day there is a breach or a leak or a security bug.

jakebrosy

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
The folks at AgileBits have been pushing the subscription model pretty hard but they apparently understand that there are people who absolutely will not store sensitive information on their (or anyone else's) server.

If you want the standalone version you can purchase it (about $50 when I did) by downloading the app and choosing the standalone license option. (Details here)

I was waiting for 1Password to force older existing customers to the subscription model. They've back tracked for now, but the writing is on the wall, they want you on their subscription model
[doublepost=1563546741][/doublepost]If you want the standalone version you can purchase it (about $50 when I did) by downloading the new app and choosing the standalone license option. (Details here)

Wait, can someone explain things to me. I rely on 1password for my life, it has all the info of everything. I know none of my passwords, accounts, security questions, and bank info. I know the 1password shortcuts by muscle memory.

1-I have the 6.8 version on MacOS, does this mean I can no longer update to the version 7 for a paid license? they canceled the paid license all together?

2-If I opt for subscription, can I store my passes locally or do I have to use a cloud service?

3-If I purchase a subscription, will I be able to use 1password if I was offline? Or do I have to be connected to the internet? How will it know I am subscribed if I am not connected to the net? Subscription usually means logging/authenticating online somehow.

4-What is the best closest app to 1password that is free or paid license that can use local storage not cloud, and how do I migrate all my data over? I am not willing to store my whole life data online in one file no matter how much they tell us its secure and safe. Every other day there is a breach or a leak or a security bug.

KALLT

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2008
Used this app for years. I'll gladly pay flat fees each year or so for upgrades, but I am not signing up for subscriptions. Beyond my bills at home and Netflix and Apple Music, that's it. I know companies need money to continue development, but I need money too. If the day comes when they take away a flat-fee local vault, I will move to something else.
You can opt for an annual subscription and disable automatic renewal. After the subscription period ends, the account will simply be “frozen”, i.e. be left in a read-only state. Alternatively, you can still buy a standalone Mac version.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Troy Hunt paid for the 1Password subscription so it was good enough for me to do the same. I didn’t like it at first but I’d rather pay them then go with another solution.

Reactions: atmenterprises

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Here are some things that one of their PR people actually said on the MacRumors forums back in 2016 when they first announced family subscriptions. I’ve edited it down to the more relevant bits.

He flat out said that the license never expires and we can use it for syncing data ourselves forever. He said that the subscription fee was to only pay for the servers. He says “It’s all about choices.” What a joke this company has become. Best to move away from this company before they revoke our encryption keys for access to our passwords and hold them ransom like some kind of data kidnapping bitcoin pirate.

Check it out for yourselves:

No worries! Your 1Password license never expires, so you can continue using it for as long as you wish without paying a subscription fee. After all, there are no ongoing costs for us when you sync data yourself. And of course for single folks that only use a Mac (for example), the sharing and access features may not be relevant...yet. ;)

The subscription is what keeps the lights on and the servers up and running. Your data can also be accessed offline (for those times when you're without an internet connection).

Relax, guy! Your license never expires, so you can continue using the standalone 1Password apps and syncing your own data for as long as you wish!

And ultimately, while we charge a one time fee for each app since there are costs involved in development and support, there is a more concrete ongoing cost involved in the server infrastructure that 1Password for Families (and Teams) is built on, so it's important that we charge a recurring subscription for that. We've been making 1Password for nearly 10 years, and it's crucial that we charge sustainable prices so we can continue to make 1Password even better for everyone who depends on it.

- brenty
Ah, got it. We don't have any plans to get rid of traditional licenses. This is just another option alongside that (with some additional features not possible otherwise). Frankly we really need to keep working on the apps anyway since they work in conjunction with 1Password for Families. I love having the convenience of a web interface, but a native app will always be a better experience!

1Password for Families on it's own is worth it to me, because it makes what I've been doing for years to share data so much easier...and the fact that the apps are included too removes the need to worry about licensing (Apple IDs, Google Accounts, license keys/files, etc.) — but for a single user on a single platform (or with less-expensive ones like iOS) it may not be as clear a value. It's all about choices. :)

Glad to be here! It's interesting to get so many different perspectives across the web. :)

You raise an interesting point about subscription services. Given that this is new for us at AgileBits, I think it's too early to say one way or another. But as I mentioned earlier, as a consumer myself I've warmed up to the idea in recent years of paying monthly — provided I'm getting something of value monthly too, of course. I think it's certainly worth discussing. It seems like Adobe has been successful, but I don't think any of us are privy to the details.

- brenty

Brent Young
Emissary of Harmony, AgileBits
https://support.1password.com

GtrDude

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
Just use LastPass.
Better.
Easier.
Free for private use.
I have it on all my phones computers and laptops. Fantastic stuff.

Gator5000e

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
I understand a company needs to make money and that is hard to do when a customer pays $XX.XX for an app and then uses it for life. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for yearly license if it helps the company to survive. But I absolutely do not want them to host my info. I don't want a web based program. Everyone thinks their site is secure until it isn't and they announce, maybe months later, that they have been hacked. Some companies a LOT bigger than AgileBits have been hacked. I want to keep my accounts local. As long as they continue to let me do it, I will keep the app.

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I dumped 1Password when Dropbox started limiting the number of devices you could sync. After that there was no way to auto-sync with my own vault between Windows & Mac/iOS so I dumped them (both companies). I now use LastPass and I'm fine with it. It does some things better, some things worse, but on balance they're pretty much the same. I don't need another subscription in my life. They all add up.

Screw 1Password.

Reactions: nt5672

nt5672

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
Subscription models are the worst thing to ever happen to software.
And the only reason subscriptions exists at the level they do is because Apple does not allow paid upgrades in the App Store.

Today, most software only gets major updates (not free bug fixes) every 2 or 3 years and the creator should be able to charge for these updates. If the major update is not worth it, then the users just passes on the update. The paid upgrade model has been around for decades, but Apple (along with others) ruled it out of date and unilaterally decided to not support it to the detriment of users.

Once you buy into a subscription model, then nothing you do in that App is yours anymore. It belongs to the App creator, unless the App creator has a policy to allow you to export (after your subscription expires) and save your data outside of the subscription and their eco system.

As an App creator, we have been forced to use the subscription model. But we also have a free mode that kicks in when your subscription expires (not renewed) and even in free mode you can move all your data to your device, to dropbox, and etc. without restriction. All supported devices are updated to the latest version (get all updates) even without a paid subscription. But this is not a working policy for some Apps.

Last edited:

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
And the only reason subscriptions exists at the level they do is because Apple does not allow paid upgrades in the App Store.
1Password sure found a way around that by releasing completely new versions for the Mac making people pay over and over again—I’m one of them. Sorry, I don’t think that what you say is the sincere reason. The real reason for subscription plans is making even more money—for sure!

I would also like to take the opportunity to point out that 1Password, in my opinion, is by far looking pretty old right now with its current user interface for iOS. It doesn’t feel modern at all—on the contrary it feels outdated.

Last edited:

rembert

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
About halve a year ago I moved from 1Password to Bitwarden Premium having about 5000 passwords in my wallet. I never regretted the move.
1Password is way more polished and has way more features but Bitwarden just fits the job and is likely as safe.