1Password Update Brings the Password-Managing App to Apple Watch [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AgileBits this morning announced that an incoming update to its popular password-managing app 1Password will include an Apple Watch version of the service, providing users an even easier way to manage and easily remember their most important passwords.

[​IMG]
    Like most upcoming Apple Watch apps, 1Password's wrist-worn counterpart will act as a companion to the traditional full-fledged iPhone app. AgileBits, the app's creator, hopes that the location of the Watch on a user's wrist, versus reaching for an iPhone, provides more ease-of-use in accessing the app for an oft-forgotten password.
    In addition to preparing for an Apple Watch app, the 1Password 5.4 update offers fans of the service a few new features, including a "mark all as read" button in the Message Center, a toggle to remove the unread badge from the settings tabs, and other basic bug fixes.

1Password can be downloaded on the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: MacRumors has discovered that for users to experience password managing on Apple Watch, they will have to upgrade to the $9.99 1Password Pro option within the free-to-download base app first.

[​IMG]

Article Link: 1Password Update Brings the Password-Managing App to Apple Watch [Updated]

2. magicvash macrumors newbie

magicvash

Sadly these are all things one is able to do *right now* by simply opening up their 1password application on their iPhone.

3. andrea81 macrumors member

...but there are tons of contexts where it's more convenient to do it on the watch.

It's just "iPad is just a giant iPhone" all over again :rolleyes:

4. masands macrumors regular

:)

5. magicvash macrumors newbie

magicvash

Right - and then developers carved out niche applications and reasons to buy an iPad an iPhone.

In a year or two, the -Watch will be a very nice device with niche applications. Right now, there's no reason to buy one, especially when the required to use iPhone is in your pocket less than 2 feet away. Unless you're so incredibly lazy you can't be bothered to get up from your desk and go get it from the charger (assuming your charger is not on your desk).

Early adopters are great to try out new technology. The mainstream average "I want an iPhone because my friends all have iPhones" user won't buy one for a few years yet.

----------

I'd rather save the $349+ and pull my phone out of my pocket :)

6. anzio macrumors 6502

You forgot to add "in my opinion." According to the shipping estimates, a large amount of other people found some reasons.

7. Loucifer macrumors member

Loucifer

Confused soul

Am I right in thinking that this app does what Safari and keychain already do?
    Or am I wrong? It wouldn't be the first time :D

8. magicvash macrumors newbie

magicvash

Isn't posting on a forum online by definition stating one's own opinion? You're too kind if you consider me to be the be-all end-all authority, but I'm afraid I can't shoulder such an august mantle.

9. anzio macrumors 6502

Not when posts are written as though they are stating fact.

10. 2457282 Suspended

I personally used lastpass before Apple came out with KeyChain. I am fine for now with Apple's solution since I have all Apple devices, but I do find that sometimes the passwords do not sync. I notice other glitches where keychain works on my OS device for my bank, but not on my desktop.

I hope apple fixes this issues soon.

11. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Why are you in this forum?. Anything I can say from here on would break Mac rumors code of conduct policies

12. Pupi macrumors 6502

Pupi

What if the phone is actually inside the gym locker ;)

13. anzio macrumors 6502

Hey... Trolls need to eat too. :D

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Do people who are tech-savvy enough to use 1Password on an Apple Watch do this?

3/5 pizza places near me allow me to order via a website or app.

15. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

This isn't confirmation that this device will have a sprawling market of apps, just that a lot of people bought it at launch.

16. Revearti macrumors member

Wendy goes to the gym every month or two if she can't remember her locker combination. ;)

17. anzio macrumors 6502

That has nothing to do with what I was referring to. I was not referring to the collection of apps. I was merely refuting a point made by somebody else. Specifically that there was "no reason" to get an Apple Watch; however, I do believe that there are enough apps to satisfy most people (and sales figures indicate this)

18. Trik macrumors 6502

I wonder if 1Password can include a feature that if the :apple:Watch leaves your wrist, it forces the phone to require your full password instead of just your finger print. I'm not sure if that is available via API, probably not.

Why? Call me paranoid, but since the govt can compel you to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone, but cannot compel you to give them your password, it would be great if when your :apple:Watch leaves your wrist, it turns off TouchID.

This isn't necessarily the forum for this comment, but it's somewhat topical as I'm reading about full 1Password integration on my wrist.

19. Nyguy76 macrumors member

Safari keychain doesn't prompt to fill passwords on many websites plus it doesn't work for apps, android, or windows. You are better off using something like 1password in addition to safari keychain

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

To an extent, yes. But a dedicated password app is going to be 1.) more full featured (secure notes, IDs, 2 factor authentication capability, password/touch ID protected, etc) and 2.) have functionality outside of Apple's apps.

21. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Well good for you! Thanks so much for sharing as we all anxiously await your every opinion.

22. Ries macrumors 68020

Just because they bought them, doesn't men they'll still use them in 6 months time.

----------

At-least he has one, thanks for sharing nothing.

23. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Browsing our entire database on a watch? Sounds nauseating.

24. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

The no reason comment was written in a declarative fashion, but it was an opinion nonetheless. People who pre-ordered the AW did so for a variety of different reasons; apps being one of them. But ordering the watch doesn't indicate people think there are enough apps. There's no correlation.

As for sales figures... yeah, there are none. That 1 million estimate you're probably referencing as sales figures, sorry, but that's not sales figures. That was an estimate extrapolated from a sample of data. Says so right in the article. Hardly something that can be used as evidence of satisfaction with the AW app ecosystem.

On topic: 1Password is a pretty good app. Any improvements the company makes is only a good thing.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

An iPhone at the gym is asking for trouble for me. Shattered screens, weights, sweat etc.

----------

This is useful for things such as locker combos etc. not all of your passwords kept on the phone.