1st gen users, have you upgraded?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ApplePersonFreak, Feb 11, 2017.

?

1st gen users, have you upgraded?

1. No.

122 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. Yes.

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree it's a preference. But there's something about the dark, inky screen that I really like. Plus I just look at the display when it's necessarily convenient for me, either by tapping or pressing the digital crown. I actually deactivated raise to wake.

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Agree that the black screen also looks good. But I also have to admit when I recently say the smartwatch from Huawei, I somewhat wished Apple could do similar (since I wouldn't buy from Huawei):

[​IMG]

3. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Looks classy in that picture - Still think it doesn't look quite as good in real life though - they try a bit too hard to make it look like an old analogue watch, instead of embracing the digital style..

As I said in an Android Wear thread, don't get me wrong - I love analogue watches and use an analogue watch face on my AW, but they shouldn't try to be something they aren't - this is way better for example:

[​IMG]

4. Relentless Power, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I know the circular Apple Watch discussion has been completely exhausted on here how to display data and or if Apple would ever release one. I do think Huwaei makes a nice round smart Watch. It's fairly large, but has some nice features. LG made the Urbane, which is another bold and beautiful round Watch.

5. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily about circular. I have always had a sweet spot for rectangular watches, so the Apple Watch is perfect for me in that respect.

Anyway and to get back to the original question: I see no reason to upgrade my 1st Generation SS 42mm. Battery life is easily enough for one day (watch OS 3.1.3). I was lucky to pick up the SS 2nd hand for a very good price ($150) and I prefer it waaaaay over the sports edition, especially because of the sapphire glass. So to fork out $600 just to have waterproofing and GPS does not make sense for me.

6. Relentless Power, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is completely inaccurate. I have observed The Moto 360, Gear S3 and the Huwaei Watch all have always on display that are clearly bright enough during daylight hours where It's quite noticeable. One of the brighter always on displays is the LG Watch Urbane, which is easily identifiable during daylight hours. I think your generalization of "Other people" not being able to see it is not correct, especially being the different ambient lighting conditions indicating somebody wearing one.

7. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Imagine you're in a group meeting, sitting around a conference room table - with your hands on top of they table. You could surreptitiously glance down to see the time. No wrist movement required.

That's one case I can think of.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would agree with this. Mainly being, looking down at your watch could be considered rude or inconsiderate. There have been times where I have looked at my Apple Watch because I have deactivated raise to wake, which feels awkward when having a conversation where I have to look down and check the time by tapping the screen or pressing the Digital Crown.

9. supercoolmanchu macrumors regular

supercoolmanchu

My upgrade intervals are roughly:

Watch: 4-5 years
    iPhone: 2 years
    iPad: 3-4 years
    Mac Pro: 6-7 years

Laptops: Pointless

10. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Still using my launch 38mm SG Sport. I haven't really felt all that compelled to upgrade. The Water resistance and GPS would be nice but its not a must have for me. The battery life is still more than sufficient for me and the speed of the watch is fast enough for my use. That being said ill probably upgrade to the new one once it comes out just because my AppleCare is getting ready to expire next month and its all scratched up.

11. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I'm still using my first generation Apple Watch, it still works great and considering I don't swim with my watch I didn't think it was worth the upgrade. I'm waiting for the Apple Watch 3rd generation.

12. danniexi macrumors 6502

I've been tempted to upgrade simply for the faster performance of the S2 chip, but other then that, none of the newer features have been compelling enough. I'm not an avid runner or swimmer, so two of the biggest highlight features would have very little use to me personally. I'll stick with my series 0 until more substantial upgrades are available in the next generation

13. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

You should use your applecare incident on that and get a new one before it's up. Haha. I chatted with apple one day and they said scratches on the Apple Watch is considered accidental damage.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the Series 2 is great with the water resistance and GPS function. But overall, that I own both versions, I would really like to see a physical change to draw me in to want to purchase a new watch. I certainly don't have any intentions of purchasing the same watch again if one launches Fall 2017 that has the exact same physical design. I'm ready for a re-design, but hopefully will keep the band port design the same. As I have a investment in a large amount of bands.

15. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Urbane:
    [​IMG]

S3:
    [​IMG]

S3 is pretty good...but some faces turn off after 30 min. But, Urbane and other 1st gen Android Wear not so good...i strongly disagree with your view.

16. sallenthornton macrumors regular

Nope. Haven't upgraded yet. The S1 does everything I need it to do. I will upgrade eventually, but I'm not sure what series that will be.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good point. As long as the Apple Watch does everything you need it to, a lot of users may not find a reason to upgrade if it has the same physical design for series 3.

18. lah macrumors 6502

Still use my SS series 0 every day. Love the watch and I've never felt the need to upgrade. Only issue is that my batter seems to gone to crap and it won't last a day. Trying to re-pair it to see if it makes a difference.

19. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

I went from 38 (S0) to 42 (S2) so there is a bump in there anyway, but I take mine off the charger at 6am and when I take it off around 10 it's at or just under 70%. My S0 would typically be at or under 10%.

20. polarbear79 macrumors newbie

I would have waited until 3rd gen, but since I'll be abroad for over a year in a country where Apple products are not available soon, I decided to upgrade as my birthday present to myself this year. I use it for running and want to know exactly how far and fast I'm going, and I'm sick of lugging my huge iPhone 6s Plus around on my runs.

21. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Congrats with your birthday and the new watch. You'll love running with the watch - I do the same and it's very motivating and love to leave my phone at home and not get disturbed by calls and messages

22. polarbear79 macrumors newbie

Thanks! Definitely! It makes running so much lighter! As for messages...the watch is not giving me my messages for some reason (or at least only some of them), even though the settings are the same as in Series 0... I hope I'll still figure out why that happens.

23. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

When AW was first announced I bought SS with SS band, but later sold it to buy a Sport because I wanted a lighter watch. Series 2 came out, and I bought the Sport again. Just last week I received an Hermes with the single tour band. Very happy to have SS again, with a beautiful and soft Hermes band!

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Aside from the custom Hermes watch face, I think I'm going to invest in a leather band. I really want experience one first hand.

25. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

My Watches is still going strong. Battery life has not seem any decrease. I still have 60% when i get home from work at 7. I have not seen any sluggishness since WatchOS 2 or WatchOS 3. Typically Apple Products live out 4 or 5 OS updates before being considered OS obsolete. On a personal level I want to challenge all the swiss watch doubters who say smartwatches wont last more then three. I'm not saying my watch can last 30 years, but possibly 5-6 years with battery replacements