1st gen users, have you upgraded?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ApplePersonFreak, Feb 11, 2017.

?

1st gen users, have you upgraded?

1. No.

122 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. Yes.

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

And those always on displays are very dim...so, it's not like other people around you can see that it is on! :D

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'd like to see other colors of ceramic, too. Rado's got quite a range of silvery, gray, and gold-brown colors.

3. Relentless Power, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You think I have the answer as to why an always on display is requested? I was just indicating it's talked about on this forum quite frequently (Aside from a round version being heavily discussed). I have zero interest for the display to be on consistently.

I actually toggle 'Raise to Wake' off. I just tap the screen or push the Crown if I want to see the display activated.

4. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I didn't think you had an answer .... merely yours was the last post to mention it so the logical post for me to reply to

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No plan to upgrade. My 1st gen Apple Watch is perfect and working well with WatchOS 3.1.1. :)

6. dave2010 macrumors regular

My Sport 42mm is going fine, though I am finding battery life can run right down to 0% if I go for a bike ride. Not sure if I want to upgrade right now because it's worth seeing Watch OS 4 provides in June and it's now a bit over 6 months to the next Watch.
    I just need to charge my Watch a bit extra to get through days when I cycle, though I should have upgraded on day 1 and will do so in September

7. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I'm with you in 90% of my day... But the last 10% when laying in my bed or sitting in a weird position, the watch doesn't turn on when lifting my screen - if they could make it flawless: great, but second best thing would be a power-save-clock thing... Just a dark color time or something - maybe no complications and the most minimalistic analogue would be cool? OLED is known for being able to do this without drawing a lot of battery because the rest of the screen would be off.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I would guess they are watch fans who like wearing something with more character than a featureless blank screen.
    Ariel Adams at A Blog To Watch sums it up well in his review of the Samsung Gear S3.

Not the case with the Gear S3, they have come up with a solution that allows a bright, low power always-on display with full colours and animation which doesn't destroy the battery life. If they can do it why shouldn't Apple offer the option in the next generation?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm generally happy with my AW, though the thought of being water proof and having a GPS is a draw for me. So far I've not succumbed to any sort of temptation. Thanks to the weather, my running as been curtailed this month, so I'd not really be able to take advantage of the GPS that much anyways.

10. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you have AC+ on yours? If your battery is draining constantly, you might be able to get a free replacement.

11. dave2010 macrumors regular

No, I just put it on eBay and bought an Apple Watch 2 actually. Thinking about it again, its by no means certain that a new watch will be coming out in September.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree. I don't believe another revised version of the Apple Watch is going to debut in September. My guess is, if the 18 month cycle is current, March 2018 will be the next major version released.

13. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I upgraded from S0 38mm to S2 42mm pretty much at launch.

I find my AW will last a couple of days when I wear it; I alternate it with other watches.

14. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

My thoughts as well - My main hopes now is just for an awesome software launch this summer with WatchOS 4.0 - There are small, but very useful stuff they could do pretty easily without dragging down power etc. (Just dynamic complications with badge for unread mails etc. and a watch face where I can set it to show alarm in a corner when its set and display weather when it's not set for example.

15. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, saw a post on here that there'll be a refresh in the fall but the only change is battery life; but no design changes.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's rumored as well that LTE will be incoming aside from the battery. That doesn't interest me, but others are requesting it.

17. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

While the general performance of my Series 0 is quite disappointing on the newest version of Watch OS, I still don't feel compelled to upgrade yet.

If I do upgrade though, it'll probably not be another SS model.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I own two 1st generation watches. Haven't upgraded. Maybe 3rd gen. will prompt me to.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I really appreciate the current design, but I'm not compelled to upgrade again to the same design for two generations if September releases a minor upgrade again. I am looking forward to a major overhaul with a newer/refreshed look if March 2018 is the next followed date.

20. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Afaik GPS is automatically disabled if the coupled iPhone is within reach of the Watch. So people who always have their iPhone with them are most likely to see the improved battery life.

As has been written: The mechanism is not perfect yet. Neither in activating when desired nor in preventing "false alarms", costing energy and drawing unnecessary attention.

Also, sometimes you do not want to actively raise your arm to read the time or incoming notifications, as it could be disturbing in certain situations (even be considered rude) or simply because one is lazy or busy with his hands doing other tasks that prevent raising the arm.

And finally there is the psychological aspect: Even if the wrist raise mechanism is working, you still have to wait for some 2/10th of a second before the display is really on. While this is not directly relevant in most (if not nearly all) situations, it gives the feeling of the Watch being somewhat laggy. And if Apple did not completely abandon user experience, this is something they have to consider.

I'm really looking forward to how they will evolve watchOS. Chances are that the possible optimizations are pretty much already included in watchOS3. What's up next are new features and a general evolution of watchOS. However, I'm expecting those to be (in part) limited to Series 1 and above, as Series 0's hardware is already at its limits with watchOS3.

watchOS4 will most likely still run on Series 0, but owners will probably have to consider a tradeoff between speed and features before they upgrade.

21. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Or just limit some of the new most power hungry features, like they have done with iPod Touches and old iPhones in the past

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

A redesign is ok as long as they keep the same watch band connectors - wouldn't want to lose my investment in bands.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Agreed. I have well over 25 bands. Losing the band design change would be extremely unfortunate. But the way Apple executed the band switching seamlessly and it's a major selling point for ease/customization, I don't foresee this happening anytime soon. Although, the discussion has many times has risen before of what if.

24. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Of course Apple will change the band connection. They want to sell you more bands.

25. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

If I had been able to sell my 1st gen, I would've considered it. I have a 42mm SS. I tried selling it with the included Milanese Loop and red sport band (OEM) at $350 and no one wanted it. I'm not 'giving' it away, so I ended up keeping it.