Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I am using a Toshiba 1TB HDD and I get about ~90/90MB/s read/write using that AJA System test.

Mine is the older 3x 333GB platter and 5,400RPM.

I sure am lusting over one of those 9mm drives and doing a RAID0 :D... $93 shipped on newegg.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I am using a Toshiba 1TB HDD and I get about ~90/90MB/s read/write using that AJA System test.

Mine is the older 3x 333GB platter and 5,400RPM.

I sure am lusting over one of those 9mm drives and doing a RAID0 :D... $93 shipped on newegg.

If you're getting better performance out of yours now, why pay $93 for a slower drive?

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Yes it's the new one with 2 500GB platters, should be faster and more power efficient than the previous model.

The Samsung is very good competition though. Cheaper and comes with 5 year warranty. Performance should be similar. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152291

I read the specs on both drives this morning. While more expensive I chose the Scorpio Blue because the noise and power ratings were a little lower than the Samsung. For me a quiet power efficient drive is more important than raw speed. Both look like nice drives and I was prepared to buy the Samsung till I saw that WDC now has one out. Swear I looked at Newegg yesterday after finding this thread and found the Samsung but didn't see the WDC for sale. I've run out of space on my 500 GB laptop drive and I've already moved a ton of stuff off of it to one of my externals. The next thing to get moved off would have to be my iTunes library... something that I really don't want to do as I like having it on the laptop for when I travel.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
I read the specs on both drives this morning. While more expensive I chose the Scorpio Blue because the noise and power ratings were a little lower than the Samsung. For me a quiet power efficient drive is more important than raw speed. Both look like nice drives and I was prepared to buy the Samsung till I saw that WDC now has one out. Swear I looked at Newegg yesterday after finding this thread and found the Samsung but didn't see the WDC for sale. I've run out of space on my 500 GB laptop drive and I've already moved a ton of stuff off of it to one of my externals. The next thing to get moved off would have to be my iTunes library... something that I really don't want to do as I like having it on the laptop for when I travel.

As you may know, specifications by manufacturers are rarely accurate. For example: according to Apple the WD Black 750GB consumes 0.8 watt at idle, according to Techreports measurements it's 1.2 watt.

I haven't seen real world measurements yet for the new 1TB drives but I can tell you the Samsung was totally quiet in my MBP 13".

Last edited:

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
As you may know, specifications by manufacturers are rarely accurate. For example: according to Apple the WD Black 750GB consumes 0.8 watt at idle, according to Techreports measurements it's 1.2 watt.

I haven't seen real world measurements yet for the new 1TB drives but I can tell you the Samsung was totally quiet in my MBP 13".

Thanks for the info... I should have the drive by this Wednesday. I will report back once I've installed it in my 13" mid 2009 MBP. One of the reasons I went with the scorpio blue is I've bought 3 500 GB 2.5" scorpio blue drives and 2 2 TB WDC Green 3.5" drives and all are working well.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Thanks for the info... I should have the drive by this Wednesday. I will report back once I've installed it in my 13" mid 2009 MBP. One of the reasons I went with the scorpio blue is I've bought 3 500 GB 2.5" scorpio blue drives and 2 2 TB WDC Green 3.5" drives and all are working well.

Ok I didn't know you had already ordered. WD has got an excellent reputation for hard drives so I'm confident it will be a good drive.

Please post some benchmark results when you get it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Ok I didn't know you had already ordered. WD has got an excellent reputation for hard drives so I'm confident it will be a good drive.

Please post some benchmark results when you get it.

I got the Scorpio Blue 1 GB 5400rpm 2.5" drive today from newegg and installed it in my 13" 2009 MBP. Restored my data from my time machine backup. It is almost half full. Here is a result from that test that you've all been using. The drive is also very quiet.

Attachments

• Scorpio Blue 1 GB 5400 rpm.jpg
    Scorpio Blue 1 GB 5400 rpm.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 80

danwat1234

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010

Hmm, well according to this storagereview.com review; http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_scorpio_blue_1tb_review_wd10jpvt

"The power consumption numbers are within the range we expect for a 2.5-inch 5400RPM notebook hard drive. The WD10JPVT consumes slightly more power under constant sequential read activity than the Samsung M8, but has lower constant random read numbers. Overall the two drives are generally even in this area. Power consumption can varies from drive to drive even amongst those of the same make and model."

So the Samsung m8 1TB 2-platter performs the same with real world benchmarks when compared to the Scorpio Blue 1TB 2-platter.
The power consumption is similar too.

I'd of gone with the Samsung just because it is cheaper and I think the Scorpio is more expensive simply because Western Digital is 'king' and can rise their prices a bit and still sell.

----------

I use the 500GB XT myself. If you really need 1TB get the Samsung M8, it's on Newegg. It's a lot faster than the Scorpio Blue 1TB.

I agree if your talking about the 3-platter Scorpio Blue. I have it in a Passport enclosure and the access time is about 19.5ms! Slow!

AD-81

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
New Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB seems to be making my 2011 MBP slow!

Please help me..

I have recently installed a brand new Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 5400rpm HDD into my new MPB then booted OSX from the install dvd that came with my mac when i bought it, formatted the new drive to Mac OS extended (journaled) and then restored using a time machine backup which had almost completely filled up my 500GB HDD which came as standard when I purchased the MBP.

Initially everything seemed like it was working fine and I was happy with the speed and the extra space. Then after a week or so from installing the new HDD the speed really slowed down to the point of it the mac 'freezing' for up to 10 seconds at a time, and the spinning 'beachball' appearing at other times and even music, video (on my HDDD) plus youtube videos stopping for a few seconds at a time like its buffering as the original poster was experiencing.

I have been running AJA System Test and get different results often. Usually the results are as around 79.0 MB/s read and write but sometime is looks like it has trouble in the reading which results in a lower outcome. (see pics)

OSX 10.6.7, 2GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Serial C2VF5001DF8V

SAMSUNG HN-M101MBB:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)
Model: SAMSUNG HN-M101MBB
Revision: 2AR10001
Serial Number: S2R8J9HB700078
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 5400
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)
Available: 390.94 GB (390,940,766,208 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-30 at 20.05.05.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-30 at 20.05.05.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen shot 2011-08-30 at 20.49.31.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-30 at 20.49.31.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 52

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Hdapm

Do you guys have issues where you get the beach ball sometimes and that's where the slow down is? If so, Google (Or search on M.R.) HDAPM, This was a knows issue for a while where the FW on the mac and the FW on the after market drives would conflict causing the drives to constantly spin down while doing simple task like browsing/reading then having to spin up once you got to do something else which delays the performance obviously. There is something with the Apple branded drives that obviously causes this not to happen. I put a 500gb WD 5400rpm in my Macbook aluminum uni last year and had to install HDAPM in order for the drive not to keep spinning down. Not doing this also drive up the cycle count of the drive which kills it a lot quicker. Look into it, it saved my drive and slow drive performance

AD-81

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
hdapm

Petty much bang on, get the beachball whilst performing simple functions but also get mac freezing and for example itunes audio stopping for a few seconds at a time every 10seconds or so.

I just tried installing hdamp fro my Spinpoint M8 and it has failed: 'APM not supported'

This is soo frustrating, it shouldn't be this difficult!

AD-81

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB HHD

Has anyone successfully installed a Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB HHD in a Macbook Pro with no performance issues?

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Has anyone successfully installed a Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB HHD in a Macbook Pro with no performance issues?

I haven't had any issues, but it's a secondary drive for me. Still, I've streamed video content for hours from it and didn't have a single hiccup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.