2.0 firmware in June - get out your wallets

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gbross, Mar 6, 2008.

1. gbross macrumors member

The above is from the Apple site.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This was expected, since the iPod's price is not amoritized over time. The reason there is no charge for the iPhone, because the income for the iPhone is spread out over the two years of the contracts.

TEG

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Some people just got to complain and will not be able to understand why they have to pay.

4. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

So how much do you guys think this will cost ?

I think it might be somewhere around 20-30$ the same way the january update was... but whats everyones opinion?

5. russellelly macrumors regular

I grudgingly paid for the January software update, but I'm going to be annoyed if we're paying for updates frequently. Having said that, allowing free apps to be distributed is a pleasant surprise, so one * small* fee may not be the end of the world.

6. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

I am not normally a complainer and was happy to pay the $20.00 for the first round of apps.

I will also be fine with paying for any apps that I may want.

The thing that is pissing me off slightly (and it really is just slightly) is that apple is making me pay for the ability to download these apps.

If i am wrong please correct me but to me it sounds as if 2.0 is simply going to update the software so that you can apply any new apps from outside developers.

Will this stop me from buying apple products. hell no (I will be getting my first iMac within the next two months) and i think people that come in here and say things like "apple has screwed us yet again" are not bright and really just need to find somewhere else to go

but i am slightly perturned by this.

7. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I'd say $20* like last time...

*It was actually $19.95:p

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I think what pisses us off is that new customers won't be charged any more for their iPods than we were (in fact, they'll likely pay less than we did, due to price cuts) but they'll get the new firmware for free. In that respect, it's almost as if Apple is penalizing early adopters, when in reality it's the early adopters they should be most concerned about pleasing.

9. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I don't know why people complain about having to pay a little more for things. If you can afford a $400 item, a few more bucks here and there is not going to hurt you. At least you have a product that can be updated with cool things. Outside of some bug fixes, iPods are pretty much a closed system as well as most competitors electronics out there. And if you don't want the updates on your iTouch, then don't buy them.

10. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Well, i havent purchased an iPod Touch yet, i plan too.
    But now with 2.0 coming out, will the price of the Touch go up to accommodate this fee or will it remain the same?

Cause if its like the january update then perhaps i should hold off until its standard on the Touch and then i dont have to pay the fee because it will be already there (like the Jan update)

any suggestions?

11. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

i would wait if you can. That is one of the problems that us early adopters have. The inability to be patient.

Then agian you can use this wait argument until you are waiting so long that the product is obsolete

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

13. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

I am not really up on this can someone please explain as layman as possible why this act makes them charge us for the apps.

14. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

No i am starting to hate them more and more... grrrrr

I dont know if will wait... i think i might just buy, cause its not a hardware update, so its 20$ i dont mind spending for an extra 3 months of Touch usage.

15. aft macrumors regular

Waiting 3 months to save $20-$30 is crazy, but maybe I'm just impatient. Skip the McDonald's for 4 days over the next three months and it will pay for itself and in he meantime you'll be enjoying a perfectly functioning iPod touch.

16. nylock10 macrumors regular

I'm just happy to hear I'll be able to get AIM on my iPod touch without jailbrekaing.

Hey does anyone know if I can use the SDK without the January Update? The iTunes store won't download the January update for me :mad:

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

No, it's Apple greed we seem to be dealing with. If this was really a SOX issue, then how is it that Microsoft was able to update the Zune's firmware for free to allow all kinds of new features? They didn't have to charge existing customers for the new features, despite their every move being scrutinized by the DOJ - it wasn't an issue.

Apple doesn't have to charge us, they choose to. It's called fleecing the sheep ... :mad:

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Why do we have to pay for apps? The damn touch costs the same as the iphone...

19. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Companies have to charge EXTRA for features not originally included or advertised (like when Apple had to charge users for 802.11n updates to their computers).

Updates to features are free, updates to NEW FEATURES is not...

Touch users originally bought them as iPods, Apple has to charge to update them to PDA's (the iPhone Apps).

You will be charged again to have the ability to use third party apps (version 2.0 software).

iPhone users to not have to pay becuase they are originally advertised as being Smartphones with the ability to use them as PDA's and update them with new features and software.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

This has been discussed before. Check out the older posts about Sarbanes-Oxley.

BTW: MS originally advertised that the Zunes were upgradeable, and the upgrade didn't really add TOTALLY new features anyways...

21. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Why should and update from a 1.x to a 2.0 be a FREE upgrade? iPod Touch and iPhone are not the same product, even they are very similar.

:eek:

22. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

Ok so know here is something i do not understand then. If the first $20.00 was to turn them into PDA's then why this new fee. I was always able to buy software from other developers for Palm products and other such PDA's. So if the Jan Update turned it into a PDA then i do not see how the ability to add 3rd party apps is a "new feature"

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Funny that Apple has now had two chances to advertise the Touch as upgradeable but has chosen not to. Why do you think that is?

:apple: Pure. :apple: Greed. :apple:

I love my iMac, love my iPod Touch, and am dying to get an iPhone. But there's no way in HELL I'll pay those greedy bastards for iPod Touch firmware. Not when new customers get it for free, and when I'll be able to get it for free with a little JB'ing. Think different, bub. ;)

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sold As: iPod Touch users can buy Music, TV Shows, Movies, and Videos.

NEW FEATURE: iPod Touch users can now buy Games, and Third Party Apps.

Sell your Touch, then buy one with more memory and the new software... ;)

25. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Apple is in no way "penalizing" us as early adopters. By the time this comes out, many of us will have had our iPhones/touches for almost a year. We've had the opportunity to use these devices for months before others.

Saying that Apple has penalized us is like saying that people who bought the original Bondi Blue iMac G3 were penalized when the G4 was released. Or that people who bought a MacBook with 10.4 installed were penalized when MacBooks were sold with 10.5 installed. New features; better hardware; nicer design: these are all typical advances in the gadget world. If you can't get over that, you'll always play the "poor me I should have waited" game.