2.2.1 = TERRIBLE battery life!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eminemdrdre00, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I thought it was just me, but then I saw 2 tweets this morning from iJustine and Leo Laporte.

I have noticed the same thing, but I havent seen many people talking about it here. Anyone else having terrible battery life since the latest update?

2. petemwah macrumors regular

seems the same to me! if i don't use the iphone for anything but calls it goes a couple of days, but playing around with GPS/games/tweeting non-stop and battery life becomes terrible again.

but in answer to your question, compared to 2.2 i feel that my battery life is the same.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My battery is also normal. Try resetting up your email accounts. There may be some sort of hang going on.

Doesn't the tweeter apps use GPS to track your location? That could be running your battery down.

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I was going to a 3rd day before charging.

Obviously, once I turned on Push for Google Contacts and Calendar my time went down to 2 days.

But no, I didn't notice any changes after the 2.2.1 upgrade.

5. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

No change for me. But usually put it on the charger most nights or at least turn if off during the night.

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Still fine here

The battery meter still drops to the same place by the time I'm going to bed, which is a sliver down from full. If it has changed, it's miniscule. There must be some setting certain folks have that is causing the problems.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seen mine go down to 3.5 hours usage, 3.5 hrs standby from 100% to <10% recharge sign. An evening charge is fine - but my phone isn't even making to the afternoon before needing a charge, and taking so long to charge too. 2 charges a day = more cycles = worse battery performance.

Spoke to Apple, they said do a backup, do a restore to factory defaults, see what the usage is like, then bring it in. It's under warranty, so they'll swap out the iPhone with another one (hopefully new battery/new/refurb with new battery), as long as Genius appt sees it as hardware. unless they know 2.2.1 is software related problem. but to be honest, i'd see them happier to swap out the hardware, than say that the 2.2.1 firmware was the issue, at least for the moment, unless an update is coming if there are problems with 2.2.1

Might be worth jumping on the offer, just for a battery with a few hundred less cycles on it, whilst still on warranty.

8. Aj2488 macrumors regular

I've had the same problem. I recently got a replacement iPhone for the battery life (among other reasons) but the battery life is still not as good as it was when using 2.2.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You're doing something wrong then. My battery is exactly the same.

10. danny_w macrumors 601

My battery is the same or better than before, and everything is much more responsive with 2.2.1

11. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've always gotten about 15 hours of life per charge since I bought the phone last July.

Hasn't changed much through any of the OS changes.

13. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

While Im glad not all of you have this problem, it sucks for me and the others who do have it. Im not doing anything differently, but my battery life is noticeably shorter. After a full charge last night before bed, I woke up to it at about 75% this morning. I'll try a factory restore, but when I restore from a backup, wont this just cause the problem to happen again?

14. slashjunior macrumors regular

Mine has gone down. I have made some changes since though. I used to have everything pushed to me on MobileMe on 2.2 and battery life was great, now I have cancelled MobileMe and use Google Sync push for contacts and calendars and Gmail is set to fetch every 15 mins. Whether it is the combination of pushing and fetching I don't know? I am hoping Gmail offers push mail soon though, so we will have to see then.

Although I have started using Twinkle more on my commute in so that could be part of it :eek:

15. danny_w macrumors 601

My battery life is the same as before, but the difference may be that I don't use push and have email set to manual fetch. It always seemed that fetch killed the battery absurdly fast, so I never used it. With light usage and manual fetch I normally get 3-5 days of use. Turning on push killed it in under a day (I never tried it on 2.2.1 though).

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Mine is if anything better, i get like 2 hours more of battery life.
    I used to get about 7 hours of usage and 1 day of standbye now i get like 8-9 hours of usage and 1 day and 12 hours of standbye.

I have 3G off, wifi on, push off, location services on.

17. slashjunior macrumors regular

If anything I have found push to give better battery life than fetch, but maybe that is just me.

18. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I'm just frusterated because I'm doing the exact same things I've been doing. Haven't changed any settings, but battery life is much worse =\

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Is your iPhone switching between 3G and Edge a lot? If it's constantly searching for a signal, the battery will wear down quickly.

20. Takeurtime macrumors member

You guys probably wont believe this but. If you use and external battery pack to charge your iphone the battery will last much much longer! When I charge using the wall charger it hits 100% and I leave it there longer to make sure. Than I stream music with the screen off. My battery runs down to 90 % in NO TIME. But, when I use my leather holster charger I do the same, it hits 100%, I leave it there longer. Than I stream music the same way and after ONE HOUR and 25MIN my battery hits 90%.

It's as if the external chargers continue to trickle charge the battery more after reaching 100%. I like charging the iphone this way before leaving home.

21. cjandnw macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP. I have much worse battery life after 2.2.1
    Let me know if you restore and it gets better please. I hate restoring because it rearranges all my apps. :(

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

After the restore, let iTunes copy all of your apps to your iPhone. After that's done, right click on your iPhone icon and choose "Restore from Backup" and restore from the same backup as before. The reason why they're jumbled up is because iTunes doesn't copy your apps over until AFTER it's restored from the backup, thus putting your apps in the order they were copied. Doing the second restore-from-backup, will keep your apps on your iPhone, except this time they'll be in the same order they were when you made your backup.

23. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Mine has been going down rapidly. I use to have 100% battery life after school but it's at like 80% now... I just figured it was Google Sync that was doing that (and actually still do).

24. finalcut macrumors 6502