Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
They said they wanted 'revolutionary'

"with a slightly rectangular face" Probably just means similar to 4:3 i.e slightly square.. and completely rectangular.

I was holding out for a rhombus or an octagon. Both of them are slightly square, so I still have hope.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The 23rd century today!

Attachments

• Star-Trek-The-Motion-Picture-Wrist-Communicator-4.jpg
    Star-Trek-The-Motion-Picture-Wrist-Communicator-4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 116

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Oh God no. As if we need yet another iToy for pretentious hipsters. I'm just going to love how Apple will spin this "iWatch" as revolutionary, just like they did with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, yet these toys don't offer anything useful except the shiny Apple logo to make oneself look superior in public. And charge a premium for it, of course. Then again this the same company whose iMacs don't even have Blu-rays. What passes for innovation at Apple is handicapping their 21.5-inch iMac with crappy tech specs while making it more affordable, when they should be improving tech specs just to appease those people who have zero intention of buying one in the first place, while those who do just want to plug and play.

Point is, I just have to laugh at those who buy these Apple mobile devices when the sole purpose is to have the right to be smug. But I guess I have to hand it to Cupertino for convincing the public to buy a big iPod touch by the millions.

Uh huh. And the Apple users are the smug ones? Right. Someone needs to look in the mirror :rolleyes:

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Doesn't matter I have android phone anyways now. Apple lost me in phone frontier.

I'll buy moto 360 when it's out.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
I post in hope that some might save a bit of cash if they could see what others see.

You might try a search for "rolex police", just for the past month to see a list of muggings and other thefts. Wearing a visible, easily removed status symbol does have a serious drawback.

Will the bauble need to be charged up every few days as rumored? My watch has been going for two years now on the same cheap, user-replaceable battery.

Do you wear a watch just to know what time it is? Because that has been unnecessary for twenty plus years now and is weird, regardless of how much you paid for it.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Oh God no. As if we need yet another iToy for pretentious hipsters. I'm just going to love how Apple will spin this "iWatch" as revolutionary, just like they did with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, yet these toys don't offer anything useful except the shiny Apple logo to make oneself look superior in public. And charge a premium for it, of course.

You're right.

It's such a shame they never sold many of the 3 devices you mentioned.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Do you wear a watch just to know what time it is? Because that has been unnecessary for twenty plus years now and is weird, regardless of how much you paid for it.

Many people still do and pay a lot of money for it.

yqu6upe7.jpg

(Pic stolen from the internet).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
2.5" Jesus Christ. That is the lifted Chevy 1500 with the dangling ball sack from the trailer hitch of watches.

I wear a watch or used to. I have a few but one was pretty sentimental to me. I took it off very recently though and while I'll keep it, I just don't want to wear it. It's just a watch, I suppose. :eek:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Oh God no. As if we need yet another iToy for pretentious hipsters. I'm just going to love how Apple will spin this "iWatch" as revolutionary, just like they did with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, yet these toys don't offer anything useful except the shiny Apple logo to make oneself look superior in public. And charge a premium for it, of course. Then again this the same company whose iMacs don't even have Blu-rays. What passes for innovation at Apple is handicapping their 21.5-inch iMac with crappy tech specs while making it more affordable, when they should be improving tech specs just to appease those people who have zero intention of buying one in the first place, while those who do just want to plug and play.

Point is, I just have to laugh at those who buy these Apple mobile devices when the sole purpose is to have the right to be smug. But I guess I have to hand it to Cupertino for convincing the public to buy a big iPod touch by the millions.

I have to agree.

Apple makes great products, but some of them are really useless. My retina MacBook Pro is great, but that is probably just because it is a very well made laptop, and not because it is the fruit of some "revolutionary" idea at Apple headquarters. The iPhone is indeed truly useful for me, as it allows information to be at my fingertips all the time, and I found it to be way better than any alternative that I've searched for.

As for the others, well, I don't know. The Apple TV is OK for watching movies, and that's all. I have mixed feelings about the iMac; as good as it looks, I only like its 27-inch beautiful monitor, but I wish the specs were better and the keyboard was more functional. And I have an iPad that was a waste of money, as it does not offer half the functionality I would expect it to.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Square? Ugh!. Guess that rules Apples product out. Time to pre-order the moto.
Probably going to skip the 'watch' revolution and stick with the good-old Rolex or another real watch from the collection that will last 100+ years instead of something I will need to drop $250 every 2-3 years and have look like crap..

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I just wish Apple focused more on making the Mac more powerful and the iPad more productive, instead of developing another iToy.

I totally agree, however, more and more you are going to have to leave Apple if you think this way.
Apple are no longer a "computer" company, they are a fashion/lifestyle/image company.

Think we are actually past this tipping point, they have seen where the money is to be made, and we can see, in recent years the trend.

Shame :(

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Question: Should I get a Fitbit band now, or wait to see what Apple brings to the table?

I'd wait, unless you can get a Fitbit really cheap. My Flex's armband has torn twice already in a year and I don't even treat it rough. I'm ready to see what Apple brings. Because I'd honestly like more than just a pedometer which is what my Flex mostly is.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011

Agreed they have been unnecessary for a long time. I like them tho and i'm not wearing a $12 Casio lol as was mentioned. I can't afford super expensive watches but I love My Tissot Navigator 3000's and have wore them for years. Have one to beat up at work and another for play.

Excited to see what Apple cooks up. The health monitoring functions sound great. I'm nearing 40 and I need to start taking care of my body better.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I'd wait, unless you can get a Fitbit really cheap. My Flex's armband has torn twice already in a year and I don't even treat it rough. I'm ready to see what Apple brings. Because I'd honestly like more than just a pedometer which is what my Flex mostly is.

I'm waiting for the new Force.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
2.5" (!!) wow. Typically watch measurements are given in millimeters, so 63.5mm seems crazy; I don't think that can be right. Steve Wozniak is famous for his HUGE Nixie Diode watch whose diameter exceeds the length of his wrist. The Nixie is (only) 55mm in width.

Yes it would be monstrous. It can only be 2.5" if it is a narrow rectangle like the Samsung Fit. Either way, I say we are not seeing the wrist device this year. Leaks are too fast and furious nowadays, we would have already seen something floating around especially if a trial run has already been made.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
2.5" isn't too large if it ends up being rectangular like the Nike Fuelband/Samsung Gear Fit.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I totally agree, however, more and more you are going to have to leave Apple if you think this way.
Apple are no longer a "computer" company, they are a fashion/lifestyle/image company.

Think we are actually past this tipping point, they have seen where the money is to be made, and we can see, in recent years the trend.

Shame :(

Yes, it is a shame. Apple is more and more focusing on making tech devices for people who do not care about tech. The device ends up being beautiful and cool, but also superficial.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
People who desire to spend their (or their parents') cash on these iOS devices just want them to be "cool." They want to be seen as "different" and "edgy" and "rad." It's not like these devices provide some usefulness, no, of course not. They're just status symbols. In fact, I take public transportation just to whip out my iPhone in front of morning commuters. And I don't even turn on the phone. I just pretend I do while I feel the look of envy of passersby.

As for the usefulness of this alleged device, my expectations are rather muted. As I written in previous threads, I don't understand why Apple feels it needs to contribute to health. Apple should be focusing on real innovation. I don't know what that is, but I'm sure it isn't health. Especially when I haven't even used much less even seen the said device. I along with my fellow forum brothers and sisters just know it's DOA as far as usefulness is concerned.

I mean, have you seen Amazon's Fire Phone with its 3-D tracking thing? Samsung's air gestures? Yet Apple wants to create a device and ecosystem that helps us take better management over our wellbeing. Checking our vitals like checking e-mails? Is personal health enough of an important matter that technological innovation should be invested into providing a solution to help people take better stock of their wellbeing and perhaps even change people's attitudes about health so that maybe we can reverse this obesity fad that Americans have become enamored with for the last decade or so and realize health's correlation with quality of life? Ha! For all the Apple tax we pay we deserve innovation that's actually going to improve our lives. Like Home screen widgets. Because believe me, the current static icon-based Home screen will bore me to death long before any illness does. And to top it all off, associated with this watch thing is yet another stock app we can't delete. Sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.