20"-22" External Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dsoren, Sep 20, 2008.

1. dsoren macrumors newbie

I currently have 2.16 Core 2 Duo Macbook and am starting to get sick of the small screen! So, I'm in the market for a 20"-22" monitor and need some advice.

I use my machine for the basics (web browsing, music, skype) but I also do a bit of freelance web and graphic design work. My budget is around $450, but I'll also need to buy a BT keyboard, so that leaves me $370ish to spend on the monitor. Here are a couple that I've been looking at...

Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP

[​IMG]

HP W2207H

[​IMG]

Any advice on either of these monitors? Any monitors that you would recommend instead of either of these?

Oh, and I currently have 1gb of RAM...is that sufficient enough to power a display of this size?

2. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I use the 20" version of the Dell at work, and it's a great monitor. But in terms of bang for your buck check out this monitor. It has fantastic reviews, and will cost quite a bit less than the Dell. It's obviously not as full-featured (no USB ports, etc.) but it has a great picture. Just my 2 cents...

3. TSE macrumors 68030

I just bought a about 4 months ago Samsung 22" 2232 BW and love it, bought it for $280 and it is great. :D

4. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion...that price point is extremely attractive to me.

Can anyone tell me anything about the general quality of Acer monitors? I've used them before, but not for extensive lengths of time.

The main thing I like about the Dell in addition to the supposedly great picture quality is the UltraSharp adjustment feature. I'm also a cable management freak...so I love the hole in the back :).

I do like the prospect of saving $129 though...

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

All the displays discussed in this thread so far have TN panels. If you're going to be doing critical image work, you should invest in a higher quality 8-bit panel, such as an IPS.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

He said he needed just basic use. He is not a professional image/video editor so it doesn't really matter.

Acer makes decent quality monitors, but I have had to deal with their repair service before and it was a horrible experience.

I would definitely check out the Samsung 2232 BW, it looks great, and is great. Check it out, almost every Bestbuy carries one.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

When he says this:

It indicates he's planning to do this as a business as well, thus my choice of the word invest. $400 is close to a 24" S-IPS or H-IPS display. Of course, OP is the only who has to make the decision.

8. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is a business investment...

Would someone mind explaining what the difference is between IPS and TN?

9. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The two principal issues, for me, are that TN panels have smaller viewing angles (thus an apparent fall-off at the tops, bottoms and sometimes the sides) and they are 6-bit (2^6 R, 2^6 G, 2^6 B for hundreds of thousands of colors). IPS (such as S-IPS and H-IPS) do not have the viewing angle issue (not perceptible, anyway) and are 8-bit panels (millions of colors). Some TN monitors use dithering to try to compensate for their lower bit depth, but I've not seen such technology that comes close to IPS (or even PVA, etc).

The 20" iMac has a TN panel. The 24" iMac has an H-IPS panel. One of the reasons why the 24" is so much more expensive.

11. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like an IPS monitor would be expensive. Could I get one with my budget? Can you provide me with an example of one?

By the way, CaveMan, I was in Dusseldorf last month - great city :)

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well I have a samsung monitor, and it cost me around 350. but add tax, well. thats a different story.

13. TSE macrumors 68030

Sorry, misunderstood. :D

S-IPS panels can get pricey, if you need exact color accuracy definitely get one, if you don't mind your colors being a little bit off, definitely go with the samsung I suggested or something similar.

14. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I 'd buy a secondhand 20" Apple display.

I bought one (actually 2) for only a little more than i paid for a 22" Acer, although the latter was bought a year or two ago.

There are 2 revisions of Cinema display. The pre August 2006 model (A1081) is not as bright as the later model. Mine are the original model.

15. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't even think of that...I'm seeing a couple on ebay in the buy-it-now for $350 range. They look the new(er) version. Seems a little too good to be true though...

Are the ACDs THAT amazing though? I heard that they used the same displays as the Dells...

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They used the same panel, but it is the electronics that make the display when similar panels are used. I don't think Dell even have 1680x1050 S-IPS/H-IPS based display anymore. Most companies have moved to cheap TN panels for that native resolution (20-22" displays). The ACD at that price is a good buy, their color accuracy is decent enough.

17. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read somewhere that 20 inch and 22 inch monitors generally run at the same resolution, so the picture on the 22 inch ends up blurier...is this true?

18. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes, they generally run the same resolution. However, that does not make the picture blurrier, it just makes the picture slightly larger.

19. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay...I'm really torn between the Dell and the used 20" ACD. I like the idea of having a brand new monitor, and I love the adjustability. At the same time, the ACD is unbelievably beautiful.

This is a tough one...

20. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

Just bought an HP w2207h from Best Buy. Love it so far...the screen and the bezel look beautiful. It'll look even better once I buy an DVI to HDMI cable.

I almost think this thing is TOO big though...I might need to downsize...I feel like I'm sitting in front of a TV.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The 22 inch monitor will have larger pixels. The image is just slightly bigger. There is no blur; blur happens when you take say a 24 inch monitor with higher native resolution and switch it to a lower resolution. 22 inch is great once you get a bit older :eek:

22. dsoren thread starter macrumors newbie

Question: I have this thing hooked up via VGA right now. I'm contemplating buying a DVI to HDMI cable so I can use that input...my question is this: how dramatic will the difference be between HDMI and VGA? Is it worth spending the money on the cable?

23. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

Well, if you are a serious graphic designer, i don't recommend to go for the 22version LCD which from my knowledge most of the 22 LCD are made of TN panel, what does that mean, it means less color reproduction and only can run low quality 6-bit color. With that said, choose from either 20" or 24" with IPS(in Panel switch) LCD. The price could be higher, but really could bring your excellent experience and durability. Good luck..

24. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

That Acer sounds good, but I have heard so much bad stuff about any Acer product. Comments?

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes they run at the same resolution, but all 22" panels are 6-bit TN which means they don't support thousands of colors, have crappy viewing angles, and poor color.

20" are sometimes TN, but you can get S-IPS such are the Apple Cinema Display or a Dell 2007FPW (if you're lucky). Sometimes your may be a PVA/MVA, has good color too. S-IPS, (H-IPS), PVA, MVA are all 8-bit panels have display millions of colors.