Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lynyrd65

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
I rescued an old Mac Pro 1,1 from my work without a hard drive (they kept it). I just bought an SSD and installed it. The Mac Pro has an XT2600 graphics card which should be supported.

I also have newer MacBook pro running High Sierra that I was able to retrieve an el capitan install app with.

Is it safe to run Pikify V14 on my high sierra MacBook pro to create a USB install drive for a clean install with this Mac Pro 1,1?

Edit: it is fine, Mac Pro is working great!

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I rescued an old Mac Pro 1,1 from my work without a hard drive (they kept it). I just bought an SSD and installed it. The Mac Pro has an XT2600 graphics card which should be supported.

I also have newer MacBook pro running High Sierra that I was able to retrieve an el capitan install app with.

Is it safe to run Pikify V14 on my high sierra MacBook pro to create a USB install drive for a clean install with this Mac Pro 1,1?

Edit: it is fine, Mac Pro is working great!
Word of warning...
do not apply Security update 2018-001 or 20018-002, they will break your installation.
You can search this thread for more info on these updates.

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Is anyone aware if the current installer app already has the security updates and updated kernel included? If so is there a way to embed a working kernel into the installer so that it can be used. I can't seem to find my older El Cap download atm.

lynyrd65

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Is anyone aware if the current installer app already has the security updates and updated kernel included? If so is there a way to embed a working kernel into the installer so that it can be used. I can't seem to find my older El Cap download atm.
I just installed El Capitan with an Install App from my Macbook Pro. I'm on 10.11.6 but the App Store is telling me I need to install the security update (obviously I won't install it).

So I guess for now thats what's in the app.

Jessedmanuell

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2018
A new Security Update 2018-002 has been issued and most probably installing it will render the pikified El Capitan installation on a 1,1/2,1 Mac Pro inoperable, so be warned.

Hola, no sé si lo puedes ayudar, los resultados del Huracán maria que destrozó mi casa en PuertoRico no había podido prender mi Mac pro 2.1 Hasta ahora que logre volver a miHogar,pues sin saber nada de esto caí en la actualizazacion 2018-002,mi problema se agraba,porque primero hacía el ciclo de bluque,y ahora no hace nada cuando la enciendo ,sólo prenden los abanicos ,alguna idea ?

Hello, I do not know if you can help, the results of Hurricane Maria that destroyed my house in PuertoRico had not been able to turn on my Mac pro 2.1 Until now I can return to my Home, because without knowing anything about this I fell in the update 2018-002, My problem is getting worse, because I was doing the bluque cycle first, and now it does not do anything when I turn it on, only the fans turn on, any ideas?

TT01

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
Los Angeles
Wow, that is sad to read. That guy was absolutely brilliant, good luck to him and hopefully things get back on track for him!

Out of interest - now that El Cap is at the bottom of the support chain and will be dropped by the end of the year by Apple, what are people's plans for their 1.1/2.1 systems?

Keep going with El Cap? Or, keep them running with Windows/Linux?

Or, sell them/ditch them altogether?

I could not yet figure out how you guys put the reference into a nice box. May be I will find out one day. (Wonderful! It seems worked this time.)

Yes, Pike is an exceptional engineer, one of a kind and I already miss him. With his extraordinary talent I am sure he has found an amazing and challenging job to do. I wish him great luck. Who knows, we may hear from him again.

Here is my views about to keep Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 or sell, donate, give away, and I hope not to thrash these resource rich beauties. I say definitely keep them. The reasons are that:

1. They will be much less valuable now since the MacOS upgrades and security updates stopped, the new iMac Pro came out and a new Mac Pro is on the horizon.

2. They are the bridge between the past and the present. If you give them up then you lost your touch with all your old software and data. Like losing your history. I have a new computer running High Sierra with Thunderbolt 3 ports and I cannot run all my data and software. Also Apple warned everyone that HS is the last macOS to support 32 bit and they say contact your 32 bit software companies asking them to come out with 64bit versions. I thought there must be a few left but when I checked I had a shock that was not the case, although I had the latest versions. Even Apple and Adobe have many software & components that are still 32 bit. I think it is going to be messy when the new macOS comes out in the Fall.

I definitely need my Mac Pro 2,1 and I am not giving it up. It is so versatile. Together with my 30" Cinema display--still in excellent shape--they are an amazing system. I can go back and put in my 10 year old system disks and they boot up. All my old photo and video HDDs still work. I do not need to figure out how am I going to use and look at my old stuff through Thunderbolt 3 ports and are they compatible. I just turn on my Mac Pro 2,1.

I hope we all keep our vintage Mac Pros. We make good use of a lot of resources and they may become valuable antique one day. After over a decade, while working so well--great thanks to Pike and all these amazing and caring experts here--parting is a no-no for me. It is now going to cover my past work and the new mac will take me to the future.

NOTE: I have a quick question, please. What is the consensus? Is it better to remain at security update of 2017-5 or update to the latest 2018 security update but use the old kernel? Anyone having problems using the old kernel? What are the pros and cons, please?

Last edited:

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Once you replace the new kernel with the old one (pre-2018-001), it's like you have not updated, because it's all about the kernel. Except for the Software Update daemon, it thinks you have.

waynito

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
California
Hi, I have a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 with pikefied El Capitan, and I cannot get Diskwarrior to make a recovery disk. Do you think that the pikefy messes up the process? Alsoft has not been able to help me.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Hi, I have a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 with pikefied El Capitan, and I cannot get Diskwarrior to make a recovery disk. Do you think that the pikefy messes up the process? Alsoft has not been able to help me.
Search for rrhd in this forum thread
Page 65 item 1607

waynito

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
California
Search for rrhd in this forum thread
Page 65 item 1607

Thanks for the suggestion. Your script ran fine on the second run. First time it suggested that I reboot, which I did. DiskWarrior Recovery Maker 1.2 still fails with the same error messages as before. :(

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
Hello I'm having issues with my 1,1 > 2,1 converted mac pro. It seems when I try to upgrade to El Capitan from Lion, Terminal says the volumes are not available. I've placed the "Install OS El Capitan" file in the Applications folder and, when that didnt work, I tried the two other installed hard drives in this machine, but to no avail does terminal find the install application. I get as far as Pikes installer but as soon as i drag the EL Cap installer over and hit enter I get this error continually. Any help would sure be appreciated :(

Last login: Sat May 12 21:06:41 on ttys000
rjss-mac-pro:~ RS$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# cd /Users/1stMacEvr/Downloads/pikify3.1
bash-3.2# ./createpikeinstallmedia /Users/1stMacEvr/Downloads/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app
Cannot find the volume /Users/1stMacEvr/Downloads/Install OS X El Capitan.app
/Users/1stMacEvr/Downloads/Install OS X El Capitan.app does not appear to be an available volume
bash-3.2#

bash-3.2# pwd
/Users/1stMacEvr/Downloads/pikify3.1
bash-3.2# whoami
root
bash-3.2# ./createpikeinstallmedia /Users/1stMacEvr/Downloads/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app
/Users/1stMacEvr/Downloads/Install OS X El Capitan.app does not appear to be an available volume
bash-3.2#

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
bash-3.2#
Hello @EpilepticGerbil

(Great handle by the way :cool:)

Take a closer look at the video. From the text that you have attached it is obvious that you are dragging/dropping the Install OS X El Capitan app when you should be dragging and dropping the disk icon that you want to use for the “built/slipstreamed” installer files.

(The pikify script or the App takes the Apple supplied installer, and builds a “new installer” with the Pike modifications. Once it’s done that, you reboot into that modified installer and proceed from there).

Your problem is that you’re drag/dropping the wrong item

Reactions: EpilepticGerbil

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
Thanks rthpjm for your help. Thought I was clearly making progress when, after following your advice by dragging my target disk icon into terminal, and that the pikefy install finally ran its course, and that upon reboot I was greeted for 1 minute with a white screen, and then a grey screen....and that is where I am now, forever on grey screen and black mouse cursor. Nothing else. Did I mention I have 24Gbs of ram? 24. ;) Not sure if this is a video card compatibility issue but seems unlikely since my 9800GT is showing something. I turned off machine, pulled out the target drive and rebooted to the Lion drive and that is where I am now.

UPDATE: Have pulled out the Lion drive and reinserted the target El Capitan drive - rebooted and now I have an OS installing with a top blue fading to red "X" on the screen. Keeping fingers crossed that the install is working. I was hoping to retain a dual boot system with Lion and El Capitan both working harmoniously together but I don't know yet if that will work, will post another update if this all succeeds... or doesn't :(

Last edited:

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
Success!
It took some patience, hope, and 3 involuntary reboots before system was back up to speed. Now running El Capitan and what a difference. It's actually faster than Lion and more responsive, at least on my system. I really hope I don't mess this up now. Can someone let me know what updates I can use? There is system update 10.11.16 and recovery update 1.0. Again, thanks :)

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Be careful of the 2018 security updates - 2018-001 and and 2018-002. They'll brick your system and cause a continuous boot loop.

If you get offered those in the App Store, expand the update and right click, then click "Hide Update". The application updates to iTunes and Safari have been fine so far, but do NOT install the security updates.

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
I hid the 10.11.16 batch of updates which included 2018-001 and 2018-002. The other non security updates were installed and when I went to check for other previous updates, the store said none were available. Maybe El Capitan 10.11 is the most current version? Only problem I'm having now is no audio. Went into sound in system preferences and enabled my Audio line-outport speakers but still no sound. Is it possible that there are no audio drivers in El Capitan for 2006-2007 1,1 > 2,1 Mac Pro?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Success!
It took some patience, hope, and 3 involuntary reboots before system was back up to speed. Now running El Capitan and what a difference. It's actually faster than Lion and more responsive, at least on my system. I really hope I don't mess this up now. Can someone let me know what updates I can use? There is system update 10.11.16 and recovery update 1.0. Again, thanks :)
Methinks someone is confusing 10.11.16 for 10.11.6 the last version of El Capitan.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
I stand corrected, I keep saying no to drugs but they just won't listen...o_O
“Standard” point upgrades are okay to install - so long as you use either capitanPikeFix or my Boot64. Some, but not all of the point upgrades replace the boot.efi file(s). These two utilities put the Pike versions back into place automatically and before the update finishes. This means that the machine reboots just fine at the end of the update process.

Every security update up to and including Security Update 2017-005 is okay, as are all the app updates.

Problems occur with the 2018-001 and newer Security Updates. These security updates contain fixes for the Meltdown and Spectre hardware flaws, implemented in the “kernel”. The kernel file is replaced by these updates and causes our old MacPros to crash, going into a boot-loop.

You can pretty much install everything up to Security Update 2017-005, and all app updates, you just shouldn’t install Security Update 2018-001 or 2018-xxx.

Most owners of MacPro 1,1 or 2,1 machines who follow this thread will likely be at 10.11.6, Security Update 2017-005, and all Apps up to date.

Some owners are also choosing to install the 2018-xxx Security Updates and then downgrading the kernel file. I wrote a lot about it in this thread.... (p.s. I don’t recommend this approach)

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
I tried installing a 10.11.5 combo update knowing full well no meltdown or spectre fixes were present, however the update did wipe out Pikes beloved 64bit .efi on my 10.11.0 install. So I had to reinstall but used a newer 10.11.4 build that I found. I did search for the safest, most recent build for my 2,1 machine; and yes, that was El Capitan (15G17023) dated Dec 2017.
Still, it would be nice to use security patches that are most current that don't include the spectre and meltdown fixes.
So how do I know which patches are safe to use without wiping out the *.efi? and for safety, how do I use the Pike fix or your Boot64 fix installing these separate newer security patches?
BTW, if anyone knows where I could get a complete 10.11.6 build, (non usb) that would be great. Thx again

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
I dont know how I managed to reply from within your quote box but ..
Thanks for that link jbarley ! :) I'll give it a shot and post the results.

Ok, well downloaded the 11gb+ dmg file...when I click on it, it opened two windows each with folders: One window - a "recovery" folder, the 2nd window - Applications, Library, System, Users.
Not your typical "X" file showing up when you click on the dmg file.
Do you suggest placing this dmg file into the applications folder and dragging my target drive into ./createpikeinstallmedia terminal window for installation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.