Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
What I would suggest is to follow the instructions in the video, the part about episode4, where the author explains how to use these files.

I started to copy all the files in the package over to my target drive, when I noticed this process was trying to overwrite existing files. It didn't work as these existing files were locked. Then I realized this wasn't what I wanted to do. I wanted to update my existing installation os El Capitan 10.11.4 to 6, and not start from scratch.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
BTW, if anyone knows where I could get a complete 10.11.6 build, (non usb) that would be great. Thx again
In addition to @jbarley’s route, you can download 10.11.6 as the full Install OS X El Capitan app directly from Apple. There are two methods:
  1. If you have access to the App Store and you have already downloaded Install OS X El Capitan previously, then you can find it under the Purchased tab in the App Store
  2. There is a knowledge base article specifically set up to allow the download. The link is included in my post #1390

Last edited:

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
Finally succeeded in getting El Capitan 10.11.4 updated to version 10.11.6. First time I tried it the combo update file overwrote the Pike efi boot file, but the second time I tried it, it didn't. I am now patching this version with all updates, excluding the 2018 spectre and meltdown fixes. Looking forward to a current Mac finally! *whew* Also wanted to add that I purchased on eBay for this machine, a matching pair of Intel Xeon x5355 2.66 GHz 771 processors, all to achieve that 8 core status. Next will eventually be the vid card, but not right away as the learning curve on this Mac will keep me busy in the following months I'm sure. Its already tied me up for 3 days just trying to get it updated! Nice to know there are helpful folks here.:)http://www.ebay.com/itm/272964776764

avinator

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2006
I was able to install it on my Mac pro 1.1 but I noticed a security update 2018-002 . After applying the update, it boots in the loop.

I should of left it alone...

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
I was able to install it on my Mac pro 1.1 but I noticed a security update 2018-002 . After applying the update, it boots in the loop.

I should of left it alone...

When you get it up and running this wiki list of update links https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_El_Capitan helps you to choose them manually. Dont let your OS system autoupdate or it will update the newest 2018 updates that include the meltdown and spectre fixes that your xeon processors are not affected by

avinator

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2006
When you get it up and running this wiki list of update links https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_El_Capitan helps you to choose them manually. Dont let your OS system autoupdate or it will update the newest 2018 updates that include the meltdown and spectre fixes that your xeon processors are not affected by
We'll do..if I remember correctly that didn't make a difference in the past but I'll try it.
Any way I can undo the update?

EpilepticGerbil

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Victoria BC, Canada
We'll do..if I remember correctly that didn't make a difference in the past but I'll try it.

I'm not an expert by any means but i did do a google search and found this: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/276469/apple-macbook-air-stuck-in-continuous-boot-loop But if it were me, I would just re-install the OS with the most current version I have. The nice thing about Macs is when you do a repair re-install, the OS usually keeps your existing files intact. I would follow this video exactly. It definitely helped me with my reinstall: Check the rthpjm's post #1390

Last edited:

jaybarnes

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Massachusetts, USA
Hi rthpjm and others. Thank you so much for the work you've done on this project!

I have a MacPro 1,1 with 14 GB of RAM. I did a clean install of Lion on an external drive, booted to it, erased my new SSD drive and let fly the 'piked el capitan' install program. It went through it's paces and stopped with the 'error occurred while extracting files from the package Essentials.pkg'. I thought well, everyone has been pretty clear that 12 GB of RAM were required. But the language is 12GB 'or more'. So I removed the last 4 x 512MB modules and replaced them with 1GB modules. Total of 16GB of RAM now.

Restarted the process and got the same error message about extracting files from Essentials.pkg. It errors out pretty quickly. One minute after I've selected the destination disk for the install.

Has anyone seen that? Do I need more than 16GB of RAM?

-Jay

Last edited:

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Hello @avinator

It’s easy to recover from the SU2018 boot loop, if you have another working Mac. Essentially you can extract the known-good kernel file from the Security Update 2017-005 package (using Pacifist).

The path is /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

You need to get that copy of the kernel file over to your bricked MacPro. Use Target Disk mode or maybe a USB memory stick...

The update does not typically affect the Recovery HD, therefore you can usually boot into the Recovery HD on your MacPro. Once booted, there’s usually a Utilities menu, from here you can launch a terminal. Copy the good kernel overwriting the newer-but-bad kernel.

Reboot.

I’ve written lots about it in this thread. Be aware that I personally would recommend a re-install of 10.11.6. This is because you’re now potentially using a downgraded kernel with upgraded kernel extensions (kexts - this might cause other operating issues)

Reactions: jbarley

macpro1.1

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Hi guys,
I hope u can help me out.
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with Mac OS X Lion (21gb ram) and downloaded a copy of El Capitan and the pinky app v14
I run the app and all was fine.
By clicking on “restart” the problem starts.
I have a black screen (normal, because I have a flashed graphics card), but after a half hour I didn’t see anything and the Mac Pro makes low noise “click” sounds. So I decided to shut down the Mac by pressing the on/off button for seconds. Afterwards I pressed it again to start up again. The Mac starts, but I did not here the start up sound :((
What happened and what can I do to make it working?

macpro1.1

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Hi guys,
I hope u can help me out.
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with Mac OS X Lion (21gb ram) and downloaded a copy of El Capitan and the pinky app v14
I run the app and all was fine.
By clicking on “restart” the problem starts.
I have a black screen (normal, because I have a flashed graphics card), but after a half hour I didn’t see anything and the Mac Pro makes low noise “click” sounds. So I decided to shut down the Mac by pressing the on/off button for seconds. Afterwards I pressed it again to start up again. The Mac starts, but I did not here the start up sound :((
What happened and what can I do to make it working?

Ignore my post. Now it works.
I think the missing start up sound is normal by El Capitan!
And the screen came on after switching all inputs and three restarts.
Now it’s installing El Capitan

jaybarnes

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Massachusetts, USA
Hi rthpjm and others. Thank you so much for the work you've done on this project!

I have a MacPro 1,1 with 14 GB of RAM. I did a clean install of Lion on an external drive, booted to it, erased my new SSD drive and let fly the 'piked el capitan' install program. It went through it's paces and stopped with the 'error occurred while extracting files from the package Essentials.pkg'. I thought well, everyone has been pretty clear that 12 GB of RAM were required. But the language is 12GB 'or more'. So I removed the last 4 x 512MB modules and replaced them with 1GB modules. Total of 16GB of RAM now.

Restarted the process and got the same error message about extracting files from Essentials.pkg. It errors out pretty quickly. One minute after I've selected the destination disk for the install.

Has anyone seen that? Do I need more than 16GB of RAM?

-Jay

I think I will try the Pikify USB method and see if I get a different result. And do some RAM tests to make sure I've really got 16GB of RAM as the OS reports.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
I think I will try the Pikify USB method and see if I get a different result. And do some RAM tests to make sure I've really got 16GB of RAM as the OS reports.

Hello @jaybarnes

The issue that you describe is well documented and is usually the result of “not enough RAM”. The pikify method of installation uses Apple tools, but these tools assume an immutable (read-only) Install media (e.g. a DVD). As such the installer runs from RAM disks. There is a particularly large compressed installer package (Essentials). It’s the combination of RAM disk and this large file that needs to be unpacked that causes the high memory requirement.

Supported Macs capable of running El Capitan all shipped with 1GB memory modules or better. We assume that Apple has therefore depreciated (does not consider valid) the 512MB RAM modules. From my experience I suspect (but can’t prove) that the memory page boundaries and/or interrupts are now expected to lie on 1GB boundaries. This means that 512MB cards are VERY problematic. The community advice is to remove them from your MacPro if you have any installed. History has shown us that original MacPros and El Capitan simply do not work well with 512MB cards.

Other users have reported problems with memory detection. There might be “plenty” of RAM fitted, but the running OS does not detect all of it. The usual culprit is mis-installation of the RAM modules. MacPros must have matched pairs installed, largest modules in the first slot/pair-of-slots. There’s a diagram printed on the inside of the removable side panel.

I have no way of knowing if any of the above is new to you, or if it’s all old news. If you think the RAM is installed properly, consider ejecting all the modules and re-seating them...

You could do a before and after test. The Apple menu often has About this Mac and the Memory tab, or from a Terminal you can type the command
Code:
free -m

Or if that doesn’t work
Code:
system_profiler SPHardwareDataType

Last edited:

hughc

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Following this great thread, I got the OS installed and patched just fine to 10.11.6. Kudos to those on whose efforts we ride!

Machine is a MacPro 1,1 with 20GB RAM and a Radeon 5870 that a previous owner installed.

The primary use of the machine is to run Adobe Creative Cloud apps, but I can't get any of the installers to run; the Creative Cloud desktop client installer just flashes up for an instant, after entering admin credentials, and is gone again.

El Capitan's on the supported list for CC2017. Is anyone running it successfully on an original Mac Pro?

jaybarnes

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Massachusetts, USA
Hello @jaybarnes

The issue that you describe is well documented and is usually the result of “not enough RAM”. The pikify method of installation uses Apple tools, but these tools assume an immutable (read-only) Install media (e.g. a DVD). As such the installer runs from RAM disks. There is a particularly large compressed installer package (Essentials). It’s the combination of RAM disk and this large file that needs to be unpacked that causes the high memory requirement.

Supported Macs capable of running El Capitan all shipped with 1GB memory modules or better. We assume that Apple has therefore depreciated (does not consider valid) the 512MB RAM modules. From my experience I suspect (but can’t prove) that the memory page boundaries and/or interrupts are now expected to lie on 1GB boundaries. This means that 512MB cards are VERY problematic. The community advice is to remove them from your MacPro if you have any installed. History has shown us that original MacPros and El Capitan simply do not work well with 512MB cards.

Other users have reported problems with memory detection. There might be “plenty” of RAM fitted, but the running OS does not detect all of it. The usual culprit is mis-installation of the RAM modules. MacPros must have matched pairs installed, largest modules in the first slot/pair-of-slots. There’s a diagram printed on the inside of the removable side panel.

I have no way of knowing if any of the above is new to you, or if it’s all old news. If you think the RAM is installed properly, consider ejecting all the modules and re-seating them...

You could do a before and after test. The Apple menu often has About this Mac and the Memory tab, or from a Terminal you can type the command
Code:
free -m

Or if that doesn’t work
Code:
system_profiler SPHardwareDataType

Thanks @rthpjm.

I was indeed aware of the problems with the 512MB modules thanks to posts of yours and so last week I did replace the last 4 512MB modules with 1GB modules to get to 16GB total RAM. Yet I was still getting the Essentials installer package error. But I had success last night by doing the pikify process from with your script (V14) rather than the app and by running it from an internal Lion drive rather than an external USB version of Lion that I had booted to. That later detail may be irrelevant.

In any case, it worked. I'm now working on the 10.11.6 update which either hangs or sets me back to Lion. I know not to load the 2018 security updates. So I'm going to try grabbing the 10.11.6 update directly from the Apple support site rather than taking the update that I get from Apple's software updater. I seem to recall reading about that earlier in this thread.

I do appreciate your research and your time. Your detailed explanation above about why 512MB modules may be problematic was very interesting.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
In any case, it worked. I'm now working on the 10.11.6 update which either hangs or sets me back to Lion. I know not to load the 2018 security updates. So I'm going to try grabbing the 10.11.6 update directly from the Apple support site rather than taking the update that I get from Apple's software updater. I seem to recall reading about that earlier in this thread.

From your description it sounds like you are getting a “combo” update from the App Store. This will happen if the current revision is more than one point release older than the update, i.e.
10.11.4 -> 10.11.6
10.11.3 -> 10.11.6
Etc.

You only ever get the “incremental” update if you’re going from one point release to the next, i.e.
10.11.5 -> 10.11.6
10.11.4 -> 10.11.5
Etc.

All combo updates contain all files that have been updated from the .0 initial release up to and including those for that update, i.e.
10.11.6 combo update contains all files that have been updated since the initial release of El Capitan 10.11.0

This means the combo update will include an updated boot.efi file. This will overwrite the Pike version. If this happens, when the machine reboots it will make the initial attempt to boot from your El Capitan drive but the boot loader will fail due to the Apple version of the boot.efi code expecting a 64-bit EFI ROM (original MacPros have a 32-bit EFI implementation in ROM). The boot ROM then discards the El Capitan partition from its list of bootable partitions and moves on to the next in the list, which will likely be your Lion partition which will have a 32-bit compatible EFI extension boot.efi.

You can fix it from your Lion partition. Simply copy the Pike boot.efi into the two documented locations whilst booted from lion. Choose your El Capitan as the startup disk and restart. Again I’ve written lots about this in this thread (as have others). Maybe search this thread for posts by me and contains cp boot.efi... post #3614 is a good candidate

P.S. don’t forget that there are two utilities in this thread to catch the condition where an Apple update overwrites the Pike boot.efi file. Choose one or the other of capitanPikeFix or my Boot64 utility.
It’s worth pointing out for future reference in case you go for another build. However, once your classic MacPro reaches 10.11.6 the utilities become redundant (because there will be no further OS updates, therefore it’s unlikely that the boot.efi file will be overwritten)

Last edited:
Reactions: Argyboy

Rocketman83

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
Skaneateles, NY
Following this great thread, I got the OS installed and patched just fine to 10.11.6. Kudos to those on whose efforts we ride!

Machine is a MacPro 1,1 with 20GB RAM and a Radeon 5870 that a previous owner installed.

The primary use of the machine is to run Adobe Creative Cloud apps, but I can't get any of the installers to run; the Creative Cloud desktop client installer just flashes up for an instant, after entering admin credentials, and is gone again.

El Capitan's on the supported list for CC2017. Is anyone running it successfully on an original Mac Pro?

I'm running Adobe CC2018 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, etc.) on my Pikified 2007 Mac Pro 2,1 w/ El Capitan, 32GB RAM, Radeon 5770. No issues except Adobe Dimension always crashes at startup. My machine supposedly doesn't meet the spec requirements, which is likely more a business decision on Adobe's part than an actual fact.

jaybarnes

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Massachusetts, USA
From your description it sounds like you are getting a “combo” update from the App Store. This will happen if the current revision is more than one point release older than the update, i.e.
10.11.4 -> 10.11.6
10.11.3 -> 10.11.6
Etc.

You only ever get the “incremental” update if you’re going from one point release to the next, i.e.
10.11.5 -> 10.11.6
10.11.4 -> 10.11.5
Etc.

All combo updates contain all files that have been updated from the .0 initial release up to and including those for that update, i.e.
10.11.6 combo update contains all files that have been updated since the initial release of El Capitan 10.11.0

This means the combo update will include an updated boot.efi file. This will overwrite the Pike version. If this happens, when the machine reboots it will make the initial attempt to boot from your El Capitan drive but the boot loader will fail due to the Apple version of the boot.efi code expecting a 64-bit EFI ROM (original MacPros have a 32-bit EFI implementation in ROM). The boot ROM then discards the El Capitan partition from its list of bootable partitions and moves on to the next in the list, which will likely be your Lion partition which will have a 32-bit compatible EFI extension boot.efi.

You can fix it from your Lion partition. Simply copy the Pike boot.efi into the two documented locations whilst booted from lion. Choose your El Capitan as the startup disk and restart. Again I’ve written lots about this in this thread (as have others). Maybe search this thread for posts by me and contains cp boot.efi... post #3614 is a good candidate

P.S. don’t forget that there are two utilities in this thread to catch the condition where an Apple update overwrites the Pike boot.efi file. Choose one or the other of capitanPikeFix or my Boot64 utility.
It’s worth pointing out for future reference in case you go for another build. However, once your classic MacPro reaches 10.11.6 the utilities become redundant (because there will be no further OS updates, therefore it’s unlikely that the boot.efi file will be overwritten)

Yes, you were right. And for some reason I had jumped to the assumption that Boot64 was part of your Pikify script. So I installed Boot64 and did the combo update to 10.11.6. Sadly, as you point out there probably won't be any need for it but you never know.

Thank you again (and to Pike and many others) who've made this possible. This MacPro1.1 is a great machine: one of the most expensive (measured by initial cost) and one of the most inexpensive (cost per year over 11 years) that I've purchased.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Yes, you were right. And for some reason I had jumped to the assumption that Boot64 was part of your Pikify script. So I installed Boot64 and did the combo update to 10.11.6. Sadly, as you point out there probably won't be any need for it but you never know.

Thank you again (and to Pike and many others) who've made this possible. This MacPro1.1 is a great machine: one of the most expensive (measured by initial cost) and one of the most inexpensive (cost per year over 11 years) that I've purchased.
My thoughts mirror yours exactly.

hughc

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
I'm running Adobe CC2018 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, etc.) on my Pikified 2007 Mac Pro 2,1 w/ El Capitan, 32GB RAM, Radeon 5770. No issues except Adobe Dimension always crashes at startup. My machine supposedly doesn't meet the spec requirements, which is likely more a business decision on Adobe's part than an actual fact.

That's a real 2,1, not a 1,1 with a flashed firmware, I take it? Is there much to distinguish between them?

I'm not sure what else I can do, I've gone through the process to get the machine useable, it's plain vanilla now, from an O/S point of view, and I can't even start to install CC.

I could start over, without applying any patches post-install, but I'm not sure it's going to make any difference. I've got console log files and ACC logs, but I can't decipher them as to what's dying when the installer starts up. The only indicator I saw was a high-level 'Illegal Instruction' error.

Rocketman83

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
Skaneateles, NY
That's a real 2,1, not a 1,1 with a flashed firmware, I take it? Is there much to distinguish between them?

I'm not sure what else I can do, I've gone through the process to get the machine useable, it's plain vanilla now, from an O/S point of view, and I can't even start to install CC.

I could start over, without applying any patches post-install, but I'm not sure it's going to make any difference. I've got console log files and ACC logs, but I can't decipher them as to what's dying when the installer starts up. The only indicator I saw was a high-level 'Illegal Instruction' error.

My machine is a 1,1 with flashed firmware to 2,1. As far as I know, there is no difference between a "real" 2,1 and a flashed version. I have no idea why you're having issues with Adobe CC2017. Wish I was more tech-savvy to offer advice. All I know is CC2018 works on my system, save for Adobe Dimension. CC2017 ran well too previously. I will say both versions are memory hogs. Eats up more and more RAM the longer the program (namely Photoshop) is running. Could be a memory leak glitch. Hopefully, an update will address this issue.

hughc

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Thanks for the clarification @Rocketman83 . The version of CC was a red herring, I wasn't specifically targeting 2017, just the most recent version downloaded from Adobe.

I reinstalled pikified 10.11.4 and then flashed the firmware to 2,1. Has made no difference, the Creative Cloud Desktop installer, fresh from Adobe, won't start. This the truncated .crash that was generated.

Process: Install [355]
Path: /Users/USER/Desktop/Creative Cloud Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Install
Identifier: com.adobe.Install
Version: 4.5.0.331 (4.5.0.331)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [350]
Responsible: Install [355]
User ID: 0

Date/Time: 2018-05-20 18:29:03.364 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.4 (15E65)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: E8084473-6CCD-240F-14ED-8B74CE3B1996

Time Awake Since Boot: 31 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 5

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Thread 5 Crashed:
0 com.adobe.Install 0x0000000105668220 0x105583000 + 938528
1 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001056616cd 0x105583000 + 911053
2 com.adobe.Install 0x0000000105658554 0x105583000 + 873812
3 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e6df2 0x105583000 + 409074
4 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e6803 0x105583000 + 407555
5 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e7614 0x105583000 + 411156
6 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e4e2d 0x105583000 + 400941
7 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e4d5f 0x105583000 + 400735
8 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055a48d3 0x105583000 + 137427
9 com.adobe.Install 0x000000010559c836 0x105583000 + 104502
10 com.adobe.Install 0x000000010559665f 0x105583000 + 79455
11 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055944c5 0x105583000 + 70853
12 com.adobe.Install 0x0000000105595be3 0x105583000 + 76771
13 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffa06ae99d _pthread_body + 131
14 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffa06ae91a _pthread_start + 168
15 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffa06ac351 thread_start + 13
Thread 5 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
rax: 0x0000000000000000 rbx: 0x000070000021c388 rcx: 0x00000001057324b0 rdx: 0xfffffffffffffff0
rdi: 0x000070000021c2d0 rsi: 0x000000005c97ed30 rbp: 0x000070000021c090 rsp: 0x000070000021c040
r8: 0xffff8fffffde3c68 r9: 0x0000000000000005 r10: 0x000000008d9b7b98 r11: 0x000070000021c2e0
r12: 0x000070000021c2e0 r13: 0x00000001056cb9f0 r14: 0x000070000021c2c8 r15: 0x0000000000000018
rip: 0x0000000105668220 rfl: 0x0000000000010246 cr2: 0x0000000105668035

All manner of googling has given me nada on the error codes in here.

Rocketman83

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
Skaneateles, NY
Thanks for the clarification @Rocketman83 . The version of CC was a red herring, I wasn't specifically targeting 2017, just the most recent version downloaded from Adobe.

I reinstalled pikified 10.11.4 and then flashed the firmware to 2,1. Has made no difference, the Creative Cloud Desktop installer, fresh from Adobe, won't start. This the truncated .crash that was generated.

Process: Install [355]
Path: /Users/USER/Desktop/Creative Cloud Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Install
Identifier: com.adobe.Install
Version: 4.5.0.331 (4.5.0.331)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [350]
Responsible: Install [355]
User ID: 0

Date/Time: 2018-05-20 18:29:03.364 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.4 (15E65)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: E8084473-6CCD-240F-14ED-8B74CE3B1996

Time Awake Since Boot: 31 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 5

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Thread 5 Crashed:
0 com.adobe.Install 0x0000000105668220 0x105583000 + 938528
1 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001056616cd 0x105583000 + 911053
2 com.adobe.Install 0x0000000105658554 0x105583000 + 873812
3 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e6df2 0x105583000 + 409074
4 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e6803 0x105583000 + 407555
5 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e7614 0x105583000 + 411156
6 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e4e2d 0x105583000 + 400941
7 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055e4d5f 0x105583000 + 400735
8 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055a48d3 0x105583000 + 137427
9 com.adobe.Install 0x000000010559c836 0x105583000 + 104502
10 com.adobe.Install 0x000000010559665f 0x105583000 + 79455
11 com.adobe.Install 0x00000001055944c5 0x105583000 + 70853
12 com.adobe.Install 0x0000000105595be3 0x105583000 + 76771
13 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffa06ae99d _pthread_body + 131
14 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffa06ae91a _pthread_start + 168
15 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fffa06ac351 thread_start + 13
Thread 5 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
rax: 0x0000000000000000 rbx: 0x000070000021c388 rcx: 0x00000001057324b0 rdx: 0xfffffffffffffff0
rdi: 0x000070000021c2d0 rsi: 0x000000005c97ed30 rbp: 0x000070000021c090 rsp: 0x000070000021c040
r8: 0xffff8fffffde3c68 r9: 0x0000000000000005 r10: 0x000000008d9b7b98 r11: 0x000070000021c2e0
r12: 0x000070000021c2e0 r13: 0x00000001056cb9f0 r14: 0x000070000021c2c8 r15: 0x0000000000000018
rip: 0x0000000105668220 rfl: 0x0000000000010246 cr2: 0x0000000105668035

All manner of googling has given me nada on the error codes in here.
Do you happen to use any type of firewall software that might be blocking Creative Cloud from having access to the Internet? That might be causing it to not install / run. Other than that, I have no idea.

hughc

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Do you happen to use any type of firewall software that might be blocking Creative Cloud from having access to the Internet? That might be causing it to not install / run. Other than that, I have no idea.

Na, the software is vanilla 10.11.4, with the system firewall defaulted to off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.