Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hendrik94

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Germany
I only did that because i need to add two board ID's to the OSInstall.mpkg Distribution file. To do this you will need to install the Flat Package Editor and i don't have any idea how to do this... so i thought that one (wich was edited) from 10.9 could work...

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I only did that because i need to add two board ID's to the OSInstall.mpkg Distribution file. To do this you will need to install the Flat Package Editor and i don't have any idea how to do this... so i thought that one (wich was edited) from 10.9 could work...

Follow the guide, it tells you how to get the FPE.

lurkingbf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
This was a total failure for me using an external HD (I tried one with firewire, and another with USB). I followed the instructions to the letter, and then double-checked my work. When it came time to add my 1,1 board ID, I simply replaced the last one in the list--rather then adding a new one--in order to avoid the whole italicized quote mark issue.

When I select the external HD to boot from startup disk, the chime goes, the HD reads very briefly, then, after about 1 minute, the chime goes again, and it reboots. It will keep doing this cycle forever until manually interrupted.

Any ideas on a good place to start troubleshooting? Perhaps I missed something painfully simple?

Of note, I have a generic PC video card installed, so cannot see the EFI boot screen. I don't think that should matter, though.

Thanks.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

This was a total failure for me using an external HD (I tried one with firewire, and another with USB). I followed the instructions to the letter, and then double-checked my work. When it came time to add my 1,1 board ID, I simply replaced the last one in the list--rather then adding a new one--in order to avoid the whole italicized quote mark issue.

When I select the external HD to boot from startup disk, the chime goes, the HD reads very briefly, then, after about 1 minute, the chime goes again, and it reboots. It will keep doing this cycle forever until manually interrupted.

Any ideas on a good place to start troubleshooting? Perhaps I missed something painfully simple?

Of note, I have a generic PC video card installed, so cannot see the EFI boot screen. I don't think that should matter, though.

Thanks.

This sounds like you didn't do the part about the kernel. Steps 14 - 16 in part one of the guide.

eyseman

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
[SOLVED!] USB and Sound Issues

Hi,

thanks to the step-by-step guide and the new b/w boot.efi, I managed to install Yosemite from an external FireWire Disk to my MacPro. The boot process works like charm, except that I do not see the boot logo for some reasons. However, I do face USB issues. The keyboard works just fine, but my mouse is incredible laggy. If I unplug the mouse and plug it back in, it is not recognized anymore. My G35 headset is also not detected (I also do not see a speaker icon in the menu bar whether I have the headphones plugged in or not).

My configuration is:
MacPro 2,1 (firmware upgrade from 1,1)
2x quadcore 2GHz
8 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 7750 HD 1GB

I had similar issues when upgrading from 10.9 to 10.9.2. I hoped to solve these with Yosemite. :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Best,

eyseman

I checked the error logs for any clues when plugging in my headphones. It seems that "considerRebuildofPrelinkedKernel" error occurred.

Therefore I rebuilt the kernel cache as found here:
http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5661-error-109-help/

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

and tata: all my USB devices work again! :)
also tested it with a reboot/shutdown -> still works ;)

lurkingbf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
This sounds like you didn't do the part about the kernel. Steps 14 - 16 in part one of the guide.

You, sir, are a genius.

I actually DID copy the kernel file as noted in steps 14-16; however, I named the folder containing said kernel file "Kernals" instead of "Kernels". <slaps forehead!>

Time to give it another go...

Many thanks.

----------

You, sir, are a genius.

I actually DID copy the kernel file as noted in steps 14-16; however, I named the folder containing said kernel file "Kernals" instead of "Kernels". <slaps forehead!>

Time to give it another go...

Many thanks.

Well, that certainly made a difference. Hahaha. I am now booted up into the installer.

And to think that one little "a" that should have been an "e" was preventing enjoyment of all this Yosemite fun? Go figure.

Thanks again, Hennesie.

the bug

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Woo Hoo !

A big thanks to everyone here, also the mysterious Tiamo, and of course Pike !
I have been following this thread with great interest, and just installed Yosemite on an external drive on my 1,1 flashed to a 2,1 !

Before I install on to my internal SSD however, I was wondering if there was any progress on getting the recovery partition to boot with this boot.efi file.

It seems to me, that since Lion the only really effective way of repairing permissions is to boot from the recovery partition and run repairs from there. Otherwise a lot of things don't seem to get repaired, even though Disk Utility says they are.

That is probably the last piece of the puzzle before I install on my main drive, and I know you guys were working on it.

Again, big thanks to all you guys that made this happen !!

- Jay

lurkingbf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
OK, so maybe "running perfectly" was a wee exaggeration. Safari is totally pooched. Can't do a single thing with it without the dreaded SBOD. Force quit is required, but it doesn't help. I tried rebooting, and disabling all the startup crap, but no luck. Perhaps a reinstall would help?

Anyone else have an issue with Safari? So far, it appears to be the only problem.

erokks

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Sweden
I can confirm another successful install of OS X 10.10 on a Mac pro 2.1 with a flashed MSI 7950.
I installed over my previous 10.9 installation. Worked like a charm!

A big thank you to everyone involved, especially Pike.
If you have a Paypal account or perhaps a bitcoin adress i would gladly buy you a beer... and a prosti... beer.

/ eROkKs

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Just upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite using the guide on the front page. By far the easiest to follow and smoothest upgrade since Apple stopped supporting these machines.

I just wanted to add my thanks to those above me, what fantastic work, the pro lives for at least one more year!

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
A big thanks to everyone here, also the mysterious Tiamo, and of course Pike !

I have been following this thread with great interest, and just installed Yosemite on an external drive on my 1,1 flashed to a 2,1 !

Before I install on to my internal SSD however, I was wondering if there was any progress on getting the recovery partition to boot with this boot.efi file.

It seems to me, that since Lion the only really effective way of repairing permissions is to boot from the recovery partition and run repairs from there. Otherwise a lot of things don't seem to get repaired, even though Disk Utility says they are.

That is probably the last piece of the puzzle before I install on my main drive, and I know you guys were working on it.

Again, big thanks to all you guys that made this happen !!

- Jay

You can always boot to the installer on a USB stick and repair permissions from there.

Galostro

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Just upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite using the guide on the front page. By far the easiest to follow and smoothest upgrade since Apple stopped supporting these machines.

I just wanted to add my thanks to those above me, what fantastic work, the pro lives for at least one more year!

What guide are you referring to?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
A note for users upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite

If you're upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite and you had my TiamoMacProFix package installed, you may want to remove a few files before upgrading.

Specifically, remove /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.tiamo.macprofix.plist.
You can remove the /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi.tiamo too but that file won't cause any issues just sitting there.

The com.tiamo.macprofix.plist will try to copy boot.efi.tiamo to the two locations on every reboot. I'm not sure if upgrading to Yosemite would keep this LaunchDaemon or not. But to be safe, remove the /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.tiamo.macprofix.plist before upgrading to Yosemite.

kuglepen

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
Just installed Yosemite using the SFOTT beta, it worked flawlessly. It was on a Mac Pro 2,1 with an Apple Radeon 5770. Great work by all involved :)

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
If you're upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite and you had my TiamoMacProFix package installed, you may want to remove a few files before upgrading.

Specifically, remove /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.tiamo.macprofix.plist.
You can remove the /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi.tiamo too but that file won't cause any issues just sitting there.

The com.tiamo.macprofix.plist will try to copy boot.efi.tiamo to the two locations on every reboot. I'm not sure if upgrading to Yosemite would keep this LaunchDaemon or not. But to be safe, remove the /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.tiamo.macprofix.plist before upgrading to Yosemite.

toby, will there be an updated version of your TiamoMacProFix.pkg ?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
If you install his current script and then before restarting replace the boot.efi.tiamo with the new boot.efi a change the name accordingly.

This should work for now. And since there seems to be no 'final' boot.efi yet for Yosemite, this is probably the best for now.

Actually, I would suggest people not even worry about this package for now. Not until there is a 10.10.1 which may or may not overwrite the boot.efi file.

This is assuming the package/launchdaemon stuff works the same in Yosemite. I've never tested it. Never installed Yosemite yet. Too busy with other things.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.