Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Earlier today i upgraded my Mac Pro 2,1 from 10.9.5 with tiamo boot.efi to Yosemite using my mac pro as target machine to my Macbook pro early 2008 and upgraded to yosemite that way and replaced the boot.efi. but when i boot the mac pro up the screen is black. I did try and remote login in from mbp. and it didn't load the kext files for the graphicscard. its a AMD 6870.

I have installed Yosemite on a separate harddrive in the mac pro to test out the DP to try it there first and the graphics card loaded fine there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 03.43.58.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 03.43.58.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 03.44.08.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 03.44.08.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,258

-Drizzt-

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
Tried to update my MacPro that was using Tiamo's boot.fi to boot a custom Fusion drive. It was a failure.

The Apple logo shows up, than a blinking folder with a question mark.

Will try to rebuild the fusion drive from the installer..

the bug

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
You can always boot to the installer on a USB stick and repair permissions from there.
DOH ! You are absolutely right I didn't think of doing that.:eek:
I'm not sure yet, but I might just install Yosemite over the weekend, and patch the recovery drive later if a working boot.efi file becomes available.

Still I may wait, I think Pike is close on this one, and I may give it another day or two before I commit fully to Yosemite when there is a so called "final" build.

Speaking of which, I've seen a lot of different builds in this thread.
There are some "X64" and some "Win32" builds, are there any advantages to trying a "X64" build over a "Win32" build ?

If I'm assuming correctly it is NASM, which is doing all the assembly language "heavy lifting" for the VS environment.
If that's the case shouldn't the assembly language output be pretty much the same regardless of what the "build target" output of VS is set to?
I know there may be some other file parameters which are different between the two build targets, but assembly is assembly, right ?

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a hundred years since I had to find a way to compile 6800 assembly language through a PASCAL compiler (gawd I'm old) :eek: ,so I may be missing something between the two different builds.

Also, do you think there is eventually going to be a "final official/un-official" build ? It would be nice (for future troubleshooting, if nothing else) if there was one recommended file which everybody uses (much like Tiamo's original file). :)

- Jay

Confused-User

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2014
I've been thinking more about using "createinstallmedia" instead of going through all the steps we have to take right now.

The only real problem, IIUC, is that you can't patch the read-only DMGs to hold Pike's boot.efi, and so installation will fail when the Mac reboots.

Why not take an approach similar to the one tobyg used? Something like this:
1) Run createinstallmedia on your USB stick (or whatever, call it "Ustick" for convenience)
2) replace boot.efi on Ustick, so it can boot
3) Add a launchd service on Ustick that runs on shutdown (well, that runs at startup and idles till shutdown, IIRC), which replaces the boot.efi on the install target.

Now, #3 could get tricky, if there are multiple volumes mounted besidesUstick and the install target, but it's probably OK to just search for the two instances of boot.efi on every attached volume, and replace them. You could modify tobyg's code to do all this in just a few minutes.

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

I've been thinking more about using "createinstallmedia" instead of going through all the steps we have to take right now.

The only real problem, IIUC, is that you can't patch the read-only DMGs to hold Pike's boot.efi, and so installation will fail when the Mac reboots.

Why not take an approach similar to the one tobyg used? Something like this:

1) Run createinstallmedia on your USB stick (or whatever, call it "Ustick" for convenience)

2) replace boot.efi on Ustick, so it can boot

3) Add a launchd service on Ustick that runs on shutdown (well, that runs at startup and idles till shutdown, IIRC), which replaces the boot.efi on the install target.

Now, #3 could get tricky, if there are multiple volumes mounted besidesUstick and the install target, but it's probably OK to just search for the two instances of boot.efi on every attached volume, and replace them. You could modify tobyg's code to do all this in just a few minutes.

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

You also have to be able to modify the OSinstall.mpkg which is located on the read only dmg. Basically createinstallmedia copies the Install OS X Yosemite app exactly as is and makes it bootable. Everything (if I remember correctly) that we need to be able to modify so that the installer application will allow it to run on the unsupported Mac Pros is in a read only state.

----------

DOH ! You are absolutely right I didn't think of doing that.:eek:

I'm not sure yet, but I might just install Yosemite over the weekend, and patch the recovery drive later if a working boot.efi file becomes available.

Still I may wait, I think Pike is close on this one, and I may give it another day or two before I commit fully to Yosemite when there is a so called "final" build.

Speaking of which, I've seen a lot of different builds in this thread.

There are some "X64" and some "Win32" builds, are there any advantages to trying a "X64" build over a "Win32" build ?

If I'm assuming correctly it is NASM, which is doing all the assembly language "heavy lifting" for the VS environment.

If that's the case shouldn't the assembly language output be pretty much the same regardless of what the "build target" output of VS is set to?

I know there may be some other file parameters which are different between the two build targets, but assembly is assembly, right ?

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a hundred years since I had to find a way to compile 6800 assembly language through a PASCAL compiler (gawd I'm old) :eek: ,so I may be missing something between the two different builds.

Also, do you think there is eventually going to be a "final official/un-official" build ? It would be nice (for future troubleshooting, if nothing else) if there was one recommended file which everybody uses (much like Tiamo's original file). :)

- Jay

The x64 builds oddly would boot the installer but would not boot the installed OS. Most people are using one of the two files from my guide. They are both Win32 Release builds. Once the Recovery HD fix is complete I will post two new files for grey and black boot.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
This should work for now. And since there seems to be no 'final' boot.efi yet for Yosemite, this is probably the best for now.

Actually, I would suggest people not even worry about this package for now. Not until there is a 10.10.1 which may or may not overwrite the boot.efi file.

This is assuming the package/launchdaemon stuff works the same in Yosemite. I've never tested it. Never installed Yosemite yet. Too busy with other things.

yes, the "com.tiamo.macprofix.plist" is still working. thnx!

----------

If you install his current script and then before restarting replace the boot.efi.tiamo with the new boot.efi a change the name accordingly.

thank you hennessie. I already did that (for testing). it's not about me, it's about people not comfortable with the terminal and replacing files in the system folders...

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
I tried to do a fresh installation of Yosemite on my SSD and it booted fine up, after installation, chose to migrate from my backup in the setup after installing yosemite. and after it migrated and restarted only black screen. i got the no kext loaded. So i'm installing from scratch again and start installing programs again and move stuff rom my backup manually.

andyyau

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
My MacPro 1,1 (2,1 rom) was using 10.9.5 with Tiamo boot loader.

I just tried SFOTT Yosemite_beta to make an install USB disk and it works very well. It installed Yosemite without any problem and it is very easy to use. There is no need to do so many steps in the installation guide. Just run it and select from the menu to create the disk.

PS: I just used upgrade instead of fresh installation.

chromedome45

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Thanks Hennesie for a great guide. Also to lurkingbf I did the same thing with the Kernels folder. Had an "a" instead of an "e" and it does as we all know make a difference.

Also may want to check out a little program called "show all files" it is a native OS X app and makes it easier to un hide and re hide hidden files without using the terminal commands.

See here: http://download.cnet.com/Show-Hidden-Files/3000-2383_4-75415396.html

Last edited:

ProfDrLuigi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Cloning not possible

Hi folx.

I have a "big" Problem on my MacPro 2,1. I installed 10.10 on a 2nd Partition side by side with 10.9 on the same disk (128GB SSD). No Problems so far. Now I want to delete the 10.9 Partition, cloning the 2nd Partition with 10.10 to the first Partition and after that delete the 2nd Partition because its not needed anymore. Cloning with the latest CCC went smooth.

The problem now is that I can´t boot from the first Partition. I get stuck at the "FireWire"-Part. See picture. I tried to boot with clover and the orig. bootefi. But this doesn´t work too. The 2nd Partition is still booting very fine and fast.

I have really no clue what could be the problem. Perhaps Apple changes something and write the Partition-ID where 10.10 was installed somewhere into the System???

I´m totally confused. Never had such Problems in the past.

I tried to clone the working Partition to a "normal" Harddisk too. But it stops at the same position as the 1st Partition of my SSD do.

Attachments

• stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20141018_173131.jpg
    IMG_20141018_173131.jpg
    762.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

DRauch

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Arizona
I wrote a quick guide for SFOTT here.
I followed this guide now my Mac is stuck in a Re booting Loop. I had to stick my old 7300gt back in to see what it was doing. It shows a black page with the apple and a status bar. gets about half way and then reboots.

Mac Pro 1,1 had Mavericks with Tiamo Efi. using Nvidia 650ti VC. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this

jfalberti

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2014
Visalia CA
Rebuilt Fusion drive, does not work.

Destroyed Fusion drive and installed on SSD, it works

I have a Fusion drive i created using an OCZ 128 GB SSD and a WD 1 TB HDD and installed Yosemite to it with no problems whatsoever. I used my 2007 MacBook Pro connected to my Mac Pro via Firewire. After install and before first boot on the Pro, I replaced the boot.efi and it rebooted perfectly. Originally had Mavericks on the Fusion drive, and everything upgraded properly. Runs great. If anyone is interested this is my Mac Pro's configuration:

Mac Pro 2006 1,1 with firmware flashed to 2,1
2 Xeon 5355 quad core processors
24 GB RAM
ATI Radion HD 4870 GPU flashed wwith Apple EFI
1 1.28 TB home made Fusion drive
2 WD 1 TB HDD

Since Apple seems to support OS releases on a 2 year cycle, there is no reason I can't get at least 2 more years from this machine, barring hardware failures.

Thank you to everyone on here for all your hard work to make this happen. This is the best group of people ever.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Is iMessage working for everyone? I'm trying to sign in and get the message attached. Should I expect this to work, I'm using the modified boot.efi. If I call up support will they help me?

I think this used to work fine, but maybe that was when I was using the chameleon boot loader a while back, rather than the modified boot.efi. It seems some fiddling somewhere along the line has broken it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 18.22.24.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 18.22.24.png
    31 KB · Views: 121

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Is iMessage working for everyone? I'm trying to sign in and get the message attached. Should I expect this to work, I'm using the modified boot.efi. If I call up support will they help me?

I think this used to work fine, but maybe that was when I was using the chameleon boot loader a while back, rather than the modified boot.efi. It seems some fiddling somewhere along the line has broken it.

Give Apple Support a call with that code. It will be fixed in 5 mins.

zfxp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
I have a Fusion drive i created using an OCZ 128 GB SSD and a WD 1 TB HDD and installed Yosemite to it with no problems whatsoever. I used my 2007 MacBook Pro connected to my Mac Pro via Firewire. After install and before first boot on the Pro, I replaced the boot.efi and it rebooted perfectly. Originally had Mavericks on the Fusion drive, and everything upgraded properly. Runs great. If anyone is interested this is my Mac Pro's configuration:

Mac Pro 2006 1,1 with firmware flashed to 2,1
2 Xeon 5355 quad core processors
24 GB RAM
ATI Radion HD 4870 GPU flashed wwith Apple EFI
1 1.28 TB home made Fusion drive
2 WD 1 TB HDD

Since Apple seems to support OS releases on a 2 year cycle, there is no reason I can't get at least 2 more years from this machine, barring hardware failures.

Thank you to everyone on here for all your hard work to make this happen. This is the best group of people ever.

I have same exact hardware, but it's really dragging my 7770 down, do you have lag?

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Give Apple Support a call with that code. It will be fixed in 5 mins.

Thanks. They've unblocked the access, said it may take a while to activate, but it should get going again.

The UK desk was closed, so called the US 1-800 number from Skype, which was free. Better than waiting until Monday!

Now I just need that new Wi-Fi/BT card and this 2006 Pro will be kicking it again :)

cwarren

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for all the hard work guys, and community spirit!

Just giving this a go on my 1,1->2,1 using Hennesie's guide. My machine boots off the USB Installer stick I made OK, but stops after the apple logo and progress bar. I get stuck at a blank black or grey screen (depending on which boot.efi I've tried). Any thoughts?

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Just an F.Y.I...

Obviously due the lack of those reporting anything similar, I must be amongst the minority however after experiencing several instances now of either of the two (2) aesthetically/visually most "Apple-like" versions of the Pike Alpha boot.efi randomly just cease entirely from booting, I have gone back to the initial "verbose" boot version as for myself anyway, I have found that works the most consistently without fail.

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
My MacPro 1,1 (2,1 rom) was using 10.9.5 with Tiamo boot loader.

I just tried SFOTT Yosemite_beta to make an install USB disk and it works very well. It installed Yosemite without any problem and it is very easy to use. There is no need to do so many steps in the installation guide. Just run it and select from the menu to create the disk.

PS: I just used upgrade instead of fresh installation.

I tried the same thing but it only lets me install a Beta Version. The installer I have is the official release. How do I get the SFOTT Yosemite Beta to run with the Official Release Installer?

ProfDrLuigi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Hi folx.

I have a "big" Problem on my MacPro 2,1. I installed 10.10 on a 2nd Partition side by side with 10.9 on the same disk (128GB SSD). No Problems so far. Now I want to delete the 10.9 Partition, cloning the 2nd Partition with 10.10 to the first Partition and after that delete the 2nd Partition because its not needed anymore. Cloning with the latest CCC went smooth.

The problem now is that I can´t boot from the first Partition. I get stuck at the "FireWire"-Part. See picture. I tried to boot with clover and the orig. bootefi. But this doesn´t work too. The 2nd Partition is still booting very fine and fast.

I have really no clue what could be the problem. Perhaps Apple changes something and write the Partition-ID where 10.10 was installed somewhere into the System???

I´m totally confused. Never had such Problems in the past.

I tried to clone the working Partition to a "normal" Harddisk too. But it stops at the same position as the 1st Partition of my SSD do.

Ok i solved it by myself. I simply copied the complete Extensions from /SL/E/ from BaseSystem.dmg to my non booting Partition (and rebuild the Kext-Cache). Voila. It boots again. I thinks TrimEnabler is doing something "nasty"?? I re-enabled Trim now on my booting Partiton and its enabled now. Strange thing. :(

Last edited:

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Ok i solved it by myself. I simply copied the complete Extensions from /SL/E/ from BaseSystem.dmg to my non booting Partition. Voila. It boots again. I thinks TrimEnabler is doing something "nasty"?? I re-enabled Trim now on my booting Partiton and its enabled now. Strange thing. :(

Just so you know, a new version of Trim Enabler (v.3.3) was released earlier this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.