Resolved 2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr. Zarniwoop, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Rough Edge macrumors newbie

Rough Edge

ok Mr. Zarniwoop,

I did the terminal commands and got the bluetooth working in Yosemite,
    but when i do the command for the sound it says:

"Failed to unload com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload)"

Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Oh. Bash. I thought you were doing applescript, lol! I don't care, :D

3. applereviewguy macrumors regular

I actually don't regularly use a 1,1, but my dad has a 1,1 that he uses for architecture that I have been testing on.

They are amazing machines. With X5365's, it is faster than his old 27" i7 iMac.

----------

Ah, I can't do applescript for crap. I can read and understand it, but I can't put it together myself :)

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yeah, just load it. Mine did that too. I'll write an applescript for it.

Yay! Built the 'dream' config plist. Uploading soon. Also, boots really fast now!

----------

No problem. I'll see what I can do tomorrow, I just like GUIs. Also, yeah, this machines are amazing. Think of Jackie Chan, old but still kick-azz.

5. Rough Edge macrumors newbie

Rough Edge

Share that config file, share it!! LOL.. yes Yosemite is looking pretty cool... I actually use it for simple browsing cause i love the clean look a lot... Im on it now! Cant wait till the DP2 comes out to mess around with the new features and waiting on the "Dark Mode" lol...

Attached Files:

• lol.jpg
      lol.jpg
      File size:
      483.9 KB
      Views:
  6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Its coming, although I don't think you don't need it, its just for the boot options.

7. applereviewguy macrumors regular

[​IMG]

8. 128keaton, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

The Guide!

AppleReviewGuy has a script that simplifies most of this, but I thought it would be nice to see a guide.

I am NOT responsible if you screw up your system. Not for noobs.

1. Aquire the OS X 10.10 Installation application.

2. Right click on it to "Show Package Contents"

3. Inside the app, go to 'Contents/SharedSupport' and mount InstallESD.dmg.

4. Open Terminal and run
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/
    then
    Code:
    open BaseSystem.dmg

5. Open Disk Utility, select your Thumbdrive (It needs to be larger than 6GB, I think.) and make 2 partitions, BOOT and Installer. Before you click 'Apply' click 'Options' and select 'Master Boot Record' but make sure you are still formatting it as 'Mac OS Extended.

6. Click 'Ok' then 'Apply' then wait for a bit.

7. Select 'Installer' in the Disk Utility list then go to 'Restore' (at the top).

8. Drag the mounted BaseSystem.dmg (white one, not the file with the disk on it) into the Source field and drag 'Installer' (from the disk util list) into the Destination field.

9. Click restore and get some coffee, long night ahead.

10. Now, in terminal, run these commands (Courtesy of AppleReviewGuy):

Code:
    cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
    cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
    rm -Rf /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
    mkdir /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
    cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/Packages/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

10. Alright, good job, download the Clover package here

11. Run the installer, but MAKE SURE you change the install location to your 'BOOT' drive. Also make sure your options you chose look like this:
    [​IMG]

12. Almost ready to reboot, just download this config.plist and place it into the root of your BOOT drive.

13. Run the bless command in terminal
    Code:
    sudo bless --folder=/Volumes/BOOT --file=/Volumes/BOOT/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi --setBoot --legacy

14. Reboot, when you hear the bong, hold option until the drive select menu appears.

15. Select 'Windows' and wait for a bit. When that appears, just make sure you select 'Boot OS X from Installer'

16. Wait a bit again, then the OS X Yose installer should appear. Run through it, make sure you select the partition you want to be Yose.

17. Reboot and run through steps 14 and 15, but this time it should boot into the First time Setup wizard.

18. Whenever you reach your desktop, if audio is broken get this and run it.

----------

its there.

9. applereviewguy, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

applereviewguy macrumors regular

Good job!

Just missed:

cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
    cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
    rm -Rf /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
    mkdir /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
    cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/Packages/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

And I think the image might be wrong for clover

EDIT: You fixed the image while I was writing :)

----------

Script will be done some time today*

10. thervp macrumors newbie

Dang guys! You've all been really busy. I will probably just use Clover for now. Good work and kudos!

In case you're wondering, I got as far with my changes to Tiamo's source code as I did with his original boot.efi, which was essentially nowhere. Oh well. Tiamo or some other genius will come and fix it for us.

11. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yup, whoops!

12. applereviewguy macrumors regular

Updating script into an automator app. Making this a learning experience for me.

Working good so far.

13. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yay! AutoTomater.

14. applereviewguy macrumors regular

Just a question, do you have any idea on how to use user input to get the name of a disk and partition that disk?

15. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

16. applereviewguy macrumors regular

17. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I'll figure it out, post the code, then sleep.

Code:
    set drivename to the text returned of (display dialog "Pick yo drive, bitch" default answer "Installer")
    say drivename

more halp
    Code:
     set drivename to the text returned of (display dialog "Pick yo drive, bitch" default answer "Installer")
    say drivename
    do shell script "cd /Volumes/" & drivename

I cannot get it to ignore spaces, but thats what I got.

18. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

19. applereviewguy macrumors regular

20. Mr. Zarniwoop thread starter macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

21. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yeah, I wouldn't use that guide, its poorly written. Never heard of MacPwn, either. I'm sticking with the official build of Clover. Our guide will work, even if it seems 'more complicated'. Remember, this is really for developers, not for newbies.

22. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the advice. In any case, I don't think I entirely qualify as a noob, considering I was had already installed Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro 1,1, via Chameleon before it was officially released (don't ask me how I got the installer). In the case of Yosemite, however, considering the Chameleon path is somewhat unclear at the moment and that I know next to nothing about Clover, I'll wait a few more weeks before I physically install it. Yesterday I installed Yosemite as a VMWare Fusion 6.0.3 virtual machine. Installation went fine, but it seems to me that every time the VM is started (at least, that's what it did after installing VMWare Tools), it takes a long time to boot. It's as if it was rebuilding caches or something like that.

23. gpatpandp macrumors 6502

gpatpandp

All that time wasted...

exactly what I meant when expressing my personal dislike for Clover and the inconsistencies I always seem to come across when using it. I could swear that in order to install Clover on a real Mac, all one needed to do is format the BOOT partition in the following manner: GUID/FAT 32. All this time I am scratching my head as to why on earth my OS X 10.10 Install won't boot. I log onto here this morning read over the updates and discover that it is actually MBR/HFS+. And that was all I needed to do…done. I had everything else down pat accept for the correct Clover BOOT partition scheme.

Next time I run into the so called experts who completely gave false info regarding OS X 10.10 Yosemite and its supposed inability to Legacy boot, I will kindly inform them to get there facts straight. Indeed I had genuine cause to be alarmed when I was informed of this the other day as if it were true, indeed we all would have been screwed. Turns out that assessment was total b.s. and in Legacy mode Clover boots OS X 10.10 Yosemite just fine. Knuckleheads !!!

At any rate thanks for everyones collaboration and for setting the record straight.

24. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Well, the Clover bootloader has been great for me. It boots up fast and everything (except my graphics card) has been working how it should. I have bluetooth and audio working fine.

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out, I made a note in the guide to tell people to use 'Mac OS Extended'.

25. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

In case someone can benefit from this knowledge, it appears a reputable hacker has discovered how to decode the lzvn'ed kernel. Have a look at https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/os-x-10-10-yosemite-dp1-kernelcache/

Am I wrong in my hunch that if someone were to include the relevant _lzvn_decode: function into the source code of Tiamo's boot.efi and then recompile, at least half of our problems would be solved?