Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
The thread's name is c**p :eek:

Do you have another suggestion for a thread name then? :p

Hiddink has ruled himself out, Mancini appears to be staying at Inter Milan... so, who do we think is going to assume the Poison Chalice™ that is the role of being Chelsea manager?

The "Special One". How good would that be for his ego but I would not count him out. I imagine it will go to big Frank when he leaves Barca.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
Do you have another suggestion for a thread name then? :p

Something along the lines of the original one, you've got to keep continuity! It'd be like being called Czechoslovakia and changing your name to... Oh, wait...

*Mourinho stuff which I accidentally deleted*

In all honesty, I really want our manager to be Steve Clarke, he's been there for donkeys' years, he knows the team and the club, he had success for us, now he can with us. I just wish he'd be given a free reign and enough time.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I believe Steve McClaren is still looking for work. Or Ian Holloway, for that matter.

Brianstorm91 – I'd heard a rumour Everton were interested in Clarke for their assistant manger. Any truth in this so far as you're aware?

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I believe Steve McClaren is still looking for work. Or Ian Holloway, for that matter.

Brianstorm91 – I'd heard a rumour Everton were interested in Clarke for their assistant manger. Any truth in this so far as you're aware?

Wasn't McLaren offered a job abroad? I forget who it was, though.

And no, not heard a thing but the word is that he's after a managerial role, be it at Chelsea or elsewhere, I think he wants to move on up the ladder.

Retired
May 16, 2006
As long as Bullard and McBride stay in shape, I think we'll be pretty comfortable.

I see Man Utd winning the Premiership again, but I have a feeling that it will be their only trophy. If Chelsea can't get anything with a new manager and a fresh wad of cash, I predict Abramovich to start ditching some of the players; Drogba has got to go if he doesn't stop the diving and awful approach to the game.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
If you had offered me third place in the league and a spot in the Champions League at the beginning of last season, I'd have taken it, I would not have believed you, but I'd have taken it.

A Gooner till I die.

A club of Arsenal's size shouldn't be happy with being third and a CL place, a brief look at the history books should tell you that's not what we aim for.

We did well last season, and really (I say this totally seriously) should have won the league. The run of draws totally killed us, including 2 draws to Birmingham, who were then relegated - not good enough. 5 points clear, we should have gone on to take the league. I hope that pushes the players on next season.

And Flamini will be playing in the UEFA Cup with Milan.. :p Enjoy Thursday night treks to **** holes like White Hart Lane, Flamster..

I can't see Bridges having a future at City. I believe he has another year left on his contract, so the club might try to cash in on him in the summer.

Huntelaar's a pretty good player – he's impressed for the Dutch U21's and there was apparently a bit of a hoo-ha in the Netherlands when he was left out of the full national side for the last World Cup (kind of a reverse of England's Theo Walcott selection ;)). I reckon he might be a useful purchase – my contacts across the North Sea tell me he's got talent.

Of course, if Fergie does decide to buy him he might be looking to offload one of his other strikers. You can see where I'm going with this one. :D

Feeeeooooo is back in the England squad, deservedly too I think after his performances at the end of the season for us. Next season could be a breakthrough for him, he has a lot of potential, which he is starting to realise. Exciting, very exciting. All you need to do is look at that run through the whole Liverpool team, and I can't help but get very excited at the prospect of next season! :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I want to say that Arsenal will probably come back and win the Premiership in '08-'09, except for one thing - after Man U's dominance this season I fear that will happen only if the red devils go through the kind of slump arsenal suffered this spring.

I want to see Liverpool challenge for the league title, end of story. The Champions League is great but a certain team just did the double so no excuses anymore, even if it must be said that United have a better squad than Liverpool and we only got our deserts. :(

We need another striker. Torres is ******* amazing but we're putting all our eggs in one basket - we can't count on him and Stevie G to score all our goals. And for goodness sake we need to sort the owner debacle.

And I want to see old Dean Windass score 20 goals and prove the pundits wrong.

Oh, and after thinking about it I don't think that Avram Grant did a "bad" job for Chelsea but I think that the blues would have stolen the league from United or won the CL title (or maybe even both) had the Special One been at the helm. In retrospect I think that Mourinho has that extra bit of something that makes a skilled manager truly great.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
<Snip>

I am both happy and relieved right now. Roll on next season :)

Hey, I bet Anthony Elding is kicking himself in the reserves at Scummy Leeds. Could be at the same level playing every week.

Frank Rijkaard is just about set to be Chelsea manager next season, he says he watns a year off but if you get offered that job can you not take it?

I also can't see why there is all this Arsenal for the title talk. Unless Wenger spends big and very wisely they are not going to challenge for the title. They fell off really quite badly 3/4 of the way through the season showing their immaturity and now they've lost arguably their best midfielder from this season and very possibly Helb as well. It's possible but they are going to need investment. For me, a goalkeeper, 1/2 defenders and 2/3 midfielders.

Also, FWIW, Ian Holloway is a quality manager. He just made the wrong choice in Leicester and Mandaric.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
And I want to see old Dean Windass score 20 goals and prove the pundits wrong.
I'll go along with that. ;)

Next season could be a breakthrough for him, he has a lot of potential, which he is starting to realise. Exciting, very exciting. All you need to do is look at that run through the whole Liverpool team, and I can't help but get very excited at the prospect of next season! :D
I saw him a few years ago when he was playing for Southampton, and even at that age (and even against us) he looked very impressive. It would have been late 2005, I think.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Ronaldo €150 million bid!

This was mentioned on Sky Sports. Apparently Madrid have leaked information to Spanish magazine Marca regarding their latest bid for Ronaldo. They do a lot of leaking :rolleyes: to try and persuade the player etc.

Anyhoo it is broken down somewhat like this:

--
C. Ronaldo = €50 million + Robinho + S. Ramos + Diarra

According to Marca, Manchester United are demanding 50 million€ plus three players from Real Madrid in order to release Cristiano Ronaldo. Those 3 players are Robinho, Diarra and Sergio Ramos.

Those 3 players are evaluated at 100 million€, IMHO: Diarra 25 million€, Robinho 35 million€, Sergio Ramos 40 million€.
--

I also heard yesterday that Real are willing to offer Ronaldo £220k a week (thats sterling not Euros) so he comes away with £150k after tax. There are too things that bug me about this... 1) Thats an insane amount of money and 2) Thats an insane amount of tax.

Oh to be a rich bastard!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hey, I bet Anthony Elding is kicking himself in the reserves at Scummy Leeds. Could be at the same level playing every week.
Elding, although a great player, is by all accounts a very disruptive influence on a team. The Boston fans knew it, and from reports coming out of Edgeley Park he did exactly the same with us. So all in all I'm glad we took Ken Bates' cash for him when we did. If he can grow up a bit and realise it's the team that's important he'll make a name for himself. Otherwise Leeds reserves could be the pinnacle of his career.

Gamble

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
This was mentioned on Sky Sports. Apparently Madrid have leaked information to Spanish magazine Marca regarding their latest bid for Ronaldo. They do a lot of leaking :rolleyes: to try and persuade the player etc.

Anyhoo it is broken down somewhat like this:

--
C. Ronaldo = €50 million + Robinho + S. Ramos + Diarra

According to Marca, Manchester United are demanding 50 million€ plus three players from Real Madrid in order to release Cristiano Ronaldo. Those 3 players are Robinho, Diarra and Sergio Ramos.

Those 3 players are evaluated at 100 million€, IMHO: Diarra 25 million€, Robinho 35 million€, Sergio Ramos 40 million€.
--

I also heard yesterday that Real are willing to offer Ronaldo £220k a week (thats sterling not Euros) so he comes away with £150k after tax. There are too things that bug me about this... 1) Thats an insane amount of money and 2) Thats an insane amount of tax.

Oh to be a rich bastard!

I would personally love to see that happen. Agreed 41 Goals in a season is a magnificent feat for anyone let alone a midfielder but i just don't like the way he plays. He wants everything done around him and if it doesn't he throws a strop. And i am a United/Hull supporter. I would hate to see Saha go i do think he is a good player he just needs to rid his injuries and get a few games under his belt to get him going again.

Also what an awesome goal by Windass :D 20 goals this season! Let keeps Okacha and Pedersen fit and get Freddy Adu and we will get 17th :D

Retired
May 16, 2006
Fabio has appointed the loathsome JT™ as captain of England for the USA match. Football lowers itself a little nearer to the gutter...:(

Ferdinand would be a much better choice, I'm still considering whether to take up my friends' offer of going (he got two tickets, but I declined as £60 is too much for me, but so far he hasn't found anyone willing). This has made me feel slightly more sure I won't go.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I don't get all the hate for JT, Ferdinand can be just as vile towards referees, the second of our premiership matches comes to mind - he was going ballistic.

Ew, something like this.

011rio2_468x491.jpg

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Well I'm glad the season is over, didn't go exactly to plan for Birmingham.

Now all the promotions are known here are my predictions for the up coming season.

Premiership

Winner - Arsenal

Relegated - Stoke, Hull and Fulham

Championship

Winners - Crystal Palace

Runners-up - Birmingham

Playoffs - Watford, Reading, Wolves and Ipswich

Relegated - Doncaster, Blackpool and Barnsley

League One

Winners - Leeds

Runners-up - Carlisle

League Two

Not got a clue...

Oh and big talking point of the season... England's World Cup qualifying campaign

Now for the cruel bet. First premiership manager to get fired will be... Roy Hodgson

League Two

Winners - Milton Keynes Dons

Runners Up - Peterborough, Hereford

Play off Winner - Stockport

Relegated - Mansfield, Wrexham

I just noticed that i quoted scotthayes' "predictions"... lol my bad.... but the results i posted are actual fact.. i think... ugh, God, more coffee please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.