Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayAreKicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
I recently had taken the machine apart to clean it but ever since I've put it back together and booted it up, i noticed things were slightly slower and it wasn't until now that i realized one of the CPUs and half the RAM isn't even being recognized.

There should be 2 processors, 12 cores, 64gb RAM.
All of it was working before cleaning it.

Another issue I've been having since it put it back together is that any small bump into the machine immediately powers it off. I had to put foam under it because even too hard of a footstep was enough to do it.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5
Graphics : Radeon RX580 8GB
PCI: GC Titanridge 2.0

bmoraski

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
When you say " took apart " Do you mean slid the tray out and used compressed air ? Or removed ram, cpu etc ?

JayAreKicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
When you say " took apart " Do you mean slid the tray out and used compressed air ? Or removed ram, cpu etc ?
Sorry, I should have gone more in depth. Both Heatsinks/CPUs and all RAM were removed from the CPU tray and cleaned with compressed air. Every piece of the machine was removed from the case and reassembled.

JayAreKicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Then 99% the CPU B heatsink isn't installed correclty to apply proper pressure to the CPU.
i had been using it with both for about 3 years before i just took them out. what would i have to do differently to apply the correct pressure?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do you have washers to protect the socket? If yes, then may be you can just tighten the heatsink a bit.

If no, then may be increase 1/8 turn of each heatsink screw, and hopefully it can work.

TBH, for lidded dual processor 2009 cMP. Once got it work, do not open the heatsink again. It can be very hard to get it work again.

Reactions: Macschrauber

JayAreKicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Do you have washers to protect the socket? If yes, then may be you can just tighten the heatsink a bit.

If no, then may be increase 1/8 turn of each heatsink screw, and hopefully it can work.

TBH, for lidded dual processor 2009 cMP. Once got it work, do not open the heatsink again. It can be very hard to get it work again.
I’ll check it again and see if can get it to connect. Would the 2nd cpu connecting make it so that the other 4 RAM work too? Thanks for your help with this!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I’ll check it again and see if can get it to connect. Would the 2nd cpu connecting make it so that the other 4 RAM work too? Thanks for your help with this!
It should. However, really depends on "if the pressure act on the CPU is correct and even". If not perfect, may be one (or more) DIMM still won't be recognised.

Also, please make sure you only remove heatsink B, but not heatsink A. If heatsink A get screwed, the cMP won't boot at all. And if you remove heatsink B to check any washers, please also check if any socket pin is damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.