Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Hi guys, I have a 3 week old Quad 2.9 Mac Pro with ATI 4870. I have noticed the temp to get around 75C+ while CPU is 99-100% idle. I've noticed mostly when running itunes the temp will just keep climbing...fast! Within 3 min of running itunes my computer is at 65C (attached). When running Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Lightroom, the temp doesn't get as high. I've installed SMC Fan Control, and it helps, but the temp will still climb, just slower. Do the new Mac Pro's run hot? Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,955

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Your ambient is high so all the other temps (besides the CPU) are about right. The CPU is running too hot, yes. With your ambient I guess 45c to 55c would be about right or a tad on the hot side.

With smcFanControl set the CPU fan a little higher.

EDIT: Is smcFanControl MP 2009 aware? It sets the correct fans?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Hi guys, I have a 3 week old Quad 2.9 Mac Pro with ATI 4870. I have noticed the temp to get around 75C+ while CPU is 99-100% idle. I've noticed mostly when running itunes the temp will just keep climbing...fast! Within 3 min of running itunes my computer is at 65C (attached). When running Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Lightroom, the temp doesn't get as high. I've installed SMC Fan Control, and it helps, but the temp will still climb, just slower. Do the new Mac Pro's run hot? Any ideas? Thanks!

That's the exact same machine as my boss, so I'll have him check it today and see where he's at.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Here is mine 2.93 Octo with the 4870. I just started working about 30 minutes ago, so nothing really processor heavy open right now. I work at home so my first hour or so of the day is spent drinking coffee and catching up on email and news. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,851

gsdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Your ambient is high so all the other temps (besides the CPU) are about right. The CPU is running too hot, yes. With your ambient I guess 45c to 55c would be about right or a tad on the hot side.

With smcFanControl set the CPU fan a little higher.

EDIT: Is smcFanControl MP 2009 aware? It sets the correct fans?

Ya, it does seem to set the correct fan levels. This is the first computer I have installed smcFanControl, so as far as I can tell it is working correctly :)

Right now ALL fan levels are around 1500.

What is the best way to lower ambient? Make room cooler?

Here is mine 2.93 Octo with the 4870. I just started working about 30 minutes ago, so nothing really processor heavy open right now. I work at home so my first hour or so of the day is spent drinking coffee and catching up on email and news. :)

Thanks! That's good to know.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Ya, it does seem to set the correct fan levels. This is the first computer I have installed smcFanControl, so as far as I can tell it is working correctly :)

Right now ALL fan levels are around 1500.

What is the best way to lower ambient? Make room cooler?

Thanks! That's good to know.

Yeah, try 1700 or 1800. :) And yeah, I dunno what's comfortable to you but my workspace right now is 23.7c. The Machine is reading an ambient right now of 24c. 28c is too high for me during summer. Maybe I'm weird tho. I like it 23c in summer and 27c during winter. :D

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Values for an early 2008 Mac Pro

this are the current values of a 2008 Mac Pro (2.8 x 8).

point to note, the ambient is 30ºC and no fan control whatsoever yet, been on since day 1 with the typical reboots after hardware upgrades & software updates. times when mac is shutdown - due for cleaning, system maintenance, esp. the dust collected on the ATI 2600 card.

note: mac was just awaken barely 15 mins ago when screenshot was taken. 'll take another screenshot maybe in 3 hrs time. nothing cpu intensive going on yet.

Attachments

• Picture 29.jpg
    Picture 29.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 109

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Seems a tad warm for Nehalem. I'm used to seeing idle temps in the low 40's C.
this are the current values of a 2008 Mac Pro (2.8 x 8).

point to note, the ambient is 30ºC and no fan control whatsoever yet, been on since day 1 with the typical reboots after hardware upgrades & software updates. times when mac is shutdown - due for cleaning, system maintenance, esp. the dust collected on the ATI 2600 card.

note: mac was just awaken barely 15 mins ago when screenshot was taken. 'll take another screenshot maybe in 3 hrs time. nothing cpu intensive going on yet.
Not bad, particularly for your ambient of 30 C. :D

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Here's mine… granted it's not strictly relevant to the 2009 models, but I'd expect my Clovertown 8x3.0 to be pushing higher temps on the processor, and of course the FB-DIMMs are known for being hot.

The machine has been idling for a while, so this is about as low as it gets :cool:

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 337

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Early 2008 Mac Pro's temp

as promised, an updated post on the temperature after ... well, more than 3 hrs of not so cpu intensive use. i thought i would be encoding quite a few videos but apparently i took a lazy route.

the main difference is the hdd temp i believe. i didn't see the details, comments welcome as usual. thax!

Attachments

• Picture 29.jpg
    Picture 29.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 106

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Seems a tad warm for Nehalem. I'm used to seeing idle temps in the low 40's C.

Soon I'll have the A/C units here replaced. I'm doing a full remodel of the home office. I decided to install separate a/c units for the office. Right now to keep the office at a reasonable 22 to 25 degrees celsius I have to keep the house frigid.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Soon I'll have the A/C units here replaced. I'm doing a full remodel of the home office. I decided to install separate a/c units for the office. Right now to keep the office at a reasonable 22 to 25 degrees celsius I have to keep the house frigid.
I'm in the same boat. I keep the house at 22C/72F, and the computer room hits 28C/83F. Rather high ambient, and I've redone the vents a bit to improve air flow into the office. :eek: :p

I'll likely put a window AC unit in. All outlets are on the same circuit, so I'll have to run a new one. Nothing is ever simple. :rolleyes: :p

Jouhne

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009

Here is my Mac Pro '09 Quad 2,93

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 2,635

gsdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Fan Speed?

I'm also interested to know if you guys are running fan control? If so, at what levels. All my fans are around 1500 rpm now, and I'm hovering around 50C (ambient is a degree lower too). Better than 65C as before :).

Anyone else get the temp soaring with itunes? I've never had itunes make a computer SO hot! That's when my temps reach 75C+

It just seems a little too hot.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Here is mine this morning with the fans and temps. I haven't installed any fan control yet.

Attachments

• Temps and Fans.jpg
    Temps and Fans.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,610

Jouhne

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
Your Mac seems hot :confused:
I will raid tonight for 4 hours straight in WoW, I will post a screen after that.
Again my temps for the moment. I'm not using any soft for fan's control.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,596

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
The outside heat adds to the problem here of keeping the Pro cool. I have the thermostat down to 10º Celsius right now. The back of the house is cold like winter time but the office is 31º Celsius.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The outside heat adds to the problem here of keeping the Pro cool. I have the thermostat down to 10º Celsius right now. The back of the house is cold like winter time but the office is 31º Celsius.
I thought 28C was bad... :eek: :D

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
i hit 32ºC shortly after posting my 2nd screenshot. that lasted for at least 4hrs. it has since reverted back to 30ºC.

as for fan control. none. however, after checking out this thread, i realised that my temp appears to be rather on the higher end, thus i went ahead to install smcFanControl 2.2.2

well, i haven't exactly tweaked the settings. lol so much for sharing that i installed smcFanControl. :eek:

p.s. i do recall one of my memory modules hitting 83ºC a few times under full load (aka 8-cores in use, close to 100%, typically between 93 to 96 if i recall correctly). it wasn't Apple's stock memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.