Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

This is untrue. Back in the day hard drives were scsi, but not unique to the Mac. Sorry.

Ok, you have better memory than I do.

Ram however was specific to apple and even certain macs had their very one types of memory. I remember those days.

Yet my point still stands...

Blows my mind I can walk into compusa, pick the video card I want, and put it in mac and it works.

You can? This very thread states that there's a slew of apps that won't work with just any vid card... I don't understand your last point.

Loa

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
You can? This very thread states that there's a slew of apps that won't work with just any vid card... I don't understand your last point.

Loa

Yup it works. I'm doing everything I was doing before, faster. The Mac OS x works with it installed. But no one is forcing you to install the card in your system. So if it doesn't work for you, dont install it. Simple really.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
It's not better if you want an HDMI port, two MDP ports and two DVI ports, and nobody has (yet) posted whether or not an ordinary PC 5870 gets the kind of functionality the 6870 has.

This discussion about which is the better card is kind of pointless. People will opt for what suits their needs best.

What we'd rather hear about is said functionality...has anybody tested a PC 5870 with these kexts?

infidel69

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
It's not better if you want an HDMI port, two MDP ports and two DVI ports, and nobody has (yet) posted whether or not an ordinary PC 5870 gets the kind of functionality the 6870 has.

This discussion about which is the better card is kind of pointless. People will opt for what suits their needs best.

What we'd rather hear about is said functionality...has anybody tested a PC 5870 with these kexts?

I wouldn't of mentioned it if it didn't work.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I wouldn't of mentioned it if it didn't work.
Could you elaborate a little? Does DVDPlayer work using a non-flashed PC 5870 or 5770? What about any of the other software that is reported to be disfunctional using the 6870? Do you have any info on that subject to share? I am very interested in this subject, on the verge of buying a 5870 from Apple and my wallet is already starting to complain.

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Could you elaborate a little? Does DVDPlayer work? What about any of the other software that is reported to be disfunctional using the 6870? Do you have any info on that subject to share? I am very interested in this subject, on the verge of buying a 5870 from Apple and my wallet is already starting to complain.

Known compatibility issues are listed in the 1st post. Based on my usage pattern, it effects 0% of what I use a MacPro for. YMMV

And I agree, the price of the 5870($449) and 5770($249) on the MacPro is a wallet cruncher. The price alternative for a flash-able 5870($249ish and hard to find on NewEgg) and 5770($139ish) is much better but requires flashing.. IMO... There were too many issues with the 5780 to consider it. (multi-monitor, Display Port vs Mini Display Port on flashed cards, etc).

Best luck on your decision.

BTW... I don't mind flashing cards. Have been flashing EEPROMS for 20+ years. If great to see the 6870, etc supported in software w/o efi.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Known compatibility issues are listed in the 1st post. Based on my usage pattern, it effects 0% of what I use a MacPro for. YMMV
Sorry, my bad. I edited my post above to clarify my question. I have read all of the thread and was asking if the poster who said the PC 5870 works had tried DVDPlayer, not regarding the 6870, as that has been mentioned several times.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
upgrade from 3870

Probably a big jump in performance, but I'd be interested to know how that extra performance translates to my typical usage.
I use FCP and will most likely upgrade to FCPX when it appears, so I guess that will see a boost...any further thoughts?
I also use Compressor, don't see any difference happening there.
I also use Motion from time to time, I imagine this will see some big improvements, any further comments?
Don't play games. Don't do any Photoshop or After Effects.
I live in the UK so I am looking at £170 for an Asus. It looks to be an AMD card, so I imagine the drivers will all work fine.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I'm just waiting on a paycheck to go through but once it does, I'm gonna pull the trigger.

So let me get it straight:
Install netkas drivers
Install a 6870

... and presto? No flashing, right?

I'm thinking about getting two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150520

They will replace my 4870 and my 4890. CF in windows should be sweet.:apple:

You will probably want to keep a EFI-flashed card, because with the PC 6870 you will not be able to boot OSX install DVD's.

If your Mac is a 2006/2007 I wouldnt recommend CF becuase you will be badly bottlenecked by running 8x / 8x PCIe 1.0....

Ferrari904

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Massachusetts
Good to Know

You will probably want to keep a EFI-flashed card, because with the PC 6870 you will not be able to boot OSX install DVD's.

If your Mac is a 2006/2007 I wouldnt recommend CF becuase you will be badly bottlenecked by running 8x / 8x PCIe 1.0....

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 (2009). So both slots are up to par. The 4870 is an apple OEM card, so I can just hang on to that if I ever need a card that works with EFI and Bios, right? Otherwise, unless I have an issue I don't think I'll need to boot from install DVDs, but that is good to know. However, to restart into windows and back I'll have to keep switching startup drives.

I don't know what kind of power situation you have, but keep in mind each of those cards use two 6-pin supplementary power connectors for a total of four.

Power is all good. I have an external power supply that is in my case.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
There's an inssue with some Steam engine games still with the newer 10.6.7 drivers that's not related to the framebuffer ID, just FYI. Portal 2 was one of them...some gamma issue with Valve's shader engine.

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
There's an inssue with some Steam engine games still with the newer 10.6.7 drivers that's not related to the framebuffer ID, just FYI. Portal 2 was one of them...some gamma issue with Valve's shader engine.

Damn, and here I was about to buy one of these. I want to be able to play Portal 2/ L4D2/TF2. I got a 27" ACD a few months back and since my GTX 285 doesn't have mDP I've been lugging along on the old GT120 stock card.

Any word on if there might be a fix for this steam issue? I guess I could always boot into PC...but blech.

Ferrari904

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Massachusetts
Great News

Ok so I have my cards. Installed the driver from the first page. Shut down, installed the cards, booted back up and no grey screen but the login came up. Working with these two bad boys now. Both cards are detected, but I got two knowing they would be more useful with CF in Windows 7. I'll post more stuff when I get underway.

Attachments

• Graphics card detected.jpg
    Graphics card detected.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 97

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Let us know how it goes. I keep considering a 6000 series card but I am chicken for now and will wait to see what happens with retail Lion.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
Damn, and here I was about to buy one of these. I want to be able to play Portal 2/ L4D2/TF2. I got a 27" ACD a few months back and since my GTX 285 doesn't have mDP I've been lugging along on the old GT120 stock card.

Any word on if there might be a fix for this steam issue? I guess I could always boot into PC...but blech.

The gamma issue is fixed, seems that you need to update the OpenGL framework at the same time. (reference: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16358 )

So 2011MBP ATI Drivers + 2011MBP OpenGL + Specifying Framebuffer = functional 6870s.

mrprice33

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
So just to clarify for myself...

These 6870s work in OSX *and* Windows, right? And in Windows everything works, since it's a Windows card, right?

Does anyone know if the Sapphire "Toxic" cards will work as well? It seems like it's basically the same card but with higher clock speeds. It's not that much more so I might do that instead if it works, at least in theory.

My 3,1 MP might be getting upgraded then...woo hoo!

Ferrari904

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Massachusetts
These 6870s work in OSX *and* Windows, right? And in Windows everything works, since it's a Windows card, right?

Does anyone know if the Sapphire "Toxic" cards will work as well? It seems like it's basically the same card but with higher clock speeds. It's not that much more so I might do that instead if it works, at least in theory.

To answer that, yes everything works in windows. Yes, it works in OSX with some limitations, like no DVD player, and a few other apps. I got my cards which are two XFX Black Editions. So there is a good chance the sapphire will work. Its just a driver that your installing, so it's not like your looking to flash with a compatible card. :apple:

wally4u

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Very tempted to do this, still a few Qs though:
1.I have a MacPro2,1 8-core with two original 23" Cinema displays. what card would fit me best? PCI-e 16x vs 8x etc.
My assumption that any AMD reference design will work if I cannot find the sapphire here in europe.
Thanks

[edit] reread the post again, an figured out the due to lack of EFI it will not show a display until login screen [/edit]

Last edited:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I am looking into getting one of these!! it will go into my 8 core 2.26 ghz 2009 Mac Pro. 3 screens attached: 30" apple Cinema Display, 2 Acer 23" X233H. Currently i have 2 GT120, but they lagg like crazy. watching a 320p vid on youtube stutters, and so does any other video!! really annoying.

are this the cards which will work?? i think the first one is the exact one from the OP, not sure, :S which one should i take? does it come with the extra power cords in the box, or is it extra?
http://www.amazon.de/Sapphire-Radeo...DA00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303918348&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.de/Sapphire-VAPOR...1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303916398&sr=8-2-fkmr2

i need a seller in germany!! which is why this is from the german amazon site
would be nice to get some insight if it would work
thanks

Last edited:

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
To answer that, yes everything works in windows. Yes, it works in OSX with some limitations, like no DVD player, and a few other apps. I got my cards which are two XFX Black Editions. So there is a good chance the sapphire will work. Its just a driver that your installing, so it's not like your looking to flash with a compatible card. :apple:

You can get the DVD Player to work if you define the framebuffer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.