Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its media event today in New York City, Microsoft announced a new update coming to Windows 10 devices that's focused on creativity and productivity tools, as well as two major new pieces of hardware: the Surface Book i7 and Surface Studio. The Surface Book is the second generation of last year's original model, while the Surface Studio is the company's all new, all-in-one desktop PC that's aimed at the high-end, enterprise market with a starting price of $2,999.

microsoft-event-2.jpg

Windows 10 Creators Update

Coming in early 2017, Microsoft today announced the newest update for Windows 10 devices, which it calls the "Creators Update." In the update, the company aims to enhance user productivity with a collection of 3D creation tools, including a new update to Paint called "Paint 3D," that use simplified interfaces to let anyone work and produce fully 3D artwork and projects. With a Windows Phone -- and eventually coming to more devices -- users can even scan real-world objects into digital form to send to friends and family.

Microsoft also showed off the upcoming "3D magic" in the Creators Update using Hololens, including a way for users to preview pieces of furniture in their own homes from a web browser. Windows 10 is gaining support for various VR headsets from companies like HP, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer, that all let users interact with the Creators Update's "mixed-reality" abilities, including a feature called "Holo Tours" that transports Windows 10 users into 360-degree videos taken around the world.

Priority contacts will be placed on the Windows 10 toolbar in the Creators Update, making it easy to send documents, PowerPoint presentations, pictures, videos, and more by simply dragging and dropping the information onto the corresponding contact. Likewise, these contacts will gain urgent priority when sending anything to you so users can "cut through the noise," and avoid missing emails and texts from close family and friends.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Microsoft Announces Surface Book i7, Desktop PC 'Surface Studio,' and Windows 10 Creators Update

Reactions: WiiDSmoker

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Surface Studio is one gorgeous computer, its very apple like in its elegant lines and function. My iMac with the giant bezels and large chin feels so old and outdated.

Microsoft is swinging for the fences and its shows, where as I feel Apple is complacent - I hope at least I'm wrong and tomorrow's event will surprise me

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The Surface studio looks glorious for photographer / artist.

I want one. But, not with the internals. Someone needs to create a stand-alone monitor with all this functionality, but without the actual internals.

I'd still rather keep with my legit desktop than an All-in-one. But a surface display with the dial, and the pen spport would be nce

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.