Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Credit where credit is due - that Studio looks fantastic. I have never seen a place for having a touch screen on a large display, but with the tilting right down to turn the display into a large graphics tablet does look pretty good. And the dial thing looks genuinely useful.

I can see that doing well with graphics artists as it combines something like an iMac and the larger Wacom tablets. (Assuming it works as well as a Wacom tablet that is.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hopefully Microsoft didn't rush their products like Samsung trying to beat Apples announcement on the 27th. Exploding surfaces?...lol.
Microsoft's track record for initial releases is not the most stellar - just look at the "teething pains" they had with the Surface Book when it was released. I own one now, and its rock solid but it was a bumpy start.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I have to say, Surface Studio is really appealing to me. I hope Apple will at least mention something about iMac, or Mac Pro tomorrow...
But their press release touting speeds over Apple is so silly. After every statement you can add "until tomorrow" and it would make much more sense.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Impressive and outstanding. Hope the build quality of the surface studio matches that of the iMac. This will then make the surface studio a strong contender. Of course one would also have to take into account Win X.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MacRumors, Surface Studio storage is hybrid storage (HDD+SSD). that 1 and 2 TB options are not all SSD.
And just look at it's price.. 8GB RAM, i5 CPU, and 1TB hybrid drive for 2999 USD.
I'll no more complain about those hybrid drives in 2499 USD iMacs!
I agree, the price tag is a little too high, while I love everything about the Studio, I think MS got a little greedy in setting the price so high.

I think this would have been an iMac killer at 2,000

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Seems like Microsoft has noticed Apple's recent lack of care for the professional community and is stepping in to take their market.
Surface Studio looks cool. But it'd be cooler if it was just a monitor that connected to a beastly tower. It'd also be cool if it had Thunderbolt 3.
All-in-ones just aren't ideal for professionals.
Well, the professional space they're really targeting are the creative professionals who are all using Wacom digitizers hooked to 5K iMacs. So having a monitor connected to a beastly tower would be a step back, actually, while this Studio may get them to ditch their Wacom tablets (depending on the real-life accuracy, which remains to be seen).
[doublepost=1477501394][/doublepost]
What with a six month old CPU?
Doesn't the new SurfaceBook have a Skylake processor? Because that's the only thing with the requisite oomph Intel is putting out right now?

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I know that the Surface book has had its fair share of issues, but I have to admit that I like it quite a bit, especially the battery life.

Luckily, Apple should have something good tomorrow, too.

Sunrisesammy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
These look appealing but my foray into Microsoft products began and ended this year with the Microsoft band. When it comes to supporting their products, Apple takes the cake in comparison. I will be buying new MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.