Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loungecorps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Just wanted to post that my new mac pro is free and clear of video problems. I got the base model 2.8 quad 5770.

Audio is working great too. NO pops.

Thanks*:apple:

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Can you tell me what size monitor you're using and whether you're using an adapter or not?

I'm getting intermittent bursts of snow on a 30" via Dual-Link DVI direct connection (off a 5870).

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have a 2010 pro with the 5870 card a 2.8 quad. I have a 24 inch hdtv monitor a dell ultrasharp. dvi connection. I created a raid0 intel x25m osx. it gave me a weird teardrop pattern on my first restart after a software update. sort of like the entire screen was crying. my oem 1tb hdd osx did not exhibit the problem. my 3tb raid0 osx did not exhibit the problem. So I did a reinstall of osx via the oem dvds onto the intel raid0 and now I have no more tears on any of the 3 osx drives.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
still no problems after a week with mine. hooked up via dvi to a samsung monitor. I'll be running dualies once my 27" ACD shows up tomorrow. hopefully there won't be any issues.

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I have the base 8 core no modifications except adding two drives and haven't had any audio/ video or any other problems.

loungecorps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I'm using a 24" ACD & my hdtv is used only with Avid & FCS through my BlackMagic I/O card. I have no adapters, but from what i've read some people have problems with & without adapters and with dual monitor and single. If you're having a problem I recommend returning it. These PC's are to expensive to not work perfectly

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I'm using a 24" ACD & my hdtv is used only with Avid & FCS through my BlackMagic I/O card. I have no adapters, but from what i've read some people have problems with & without adapters and with dual monitor and single. If you're having a problem I recommend returning it. These PC's are to expensive to not work perfectly

I suspect it's driver-related, though. Some people are having the same problems after getting a replacement Mac Pro or new 57/5870, so I'm really hoping Apple will get this fixed up soon. I'm going to call, though, to see what they can do. The more people that call, the better, I'm guessing.

loungecorps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
It could be a driver problem but my thinking is if it were the drivers Everyone would be having problems. But I could be wrong. I am by no means an expert

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
It could be a driver problem but my thinking is if it were the drivers Everyone would be having problems. But I could be wrong. I am by no means an expert

It seems to be different for everyone, though, and I'm not sure what variables might affect the performance (type of display, size of display, configuration, etc).

Someone in another thread also said they were getting the snow/sleep problems, but not when booted into windoze.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
Just got mine (see signature for specs) and immediately sees one or more horizontal lines with 'scrambled' colors randomly visible in open windows. It happens both in Finder, Safari and Office (so far).

Haven't read through all of the threads here - are there any solutions to this?

Attachments

• lines.png
    lines.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 135

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Just got mine (see signature for specs) and immediately sees one or more horizontal lines with 'scrambled' colors randomly visible in open windows. It happens both in Finder, Safari and Office (so far).

Haven't read through all of the threads here - are there any solutions to this?

I'm hoping Apple is working on a fix.

Do you have Windows/boot camp installed by any chance? Curious how many people have the same problems in Windows.

I'd recommend calling Apple, too. Either way, you're under warranty so I wouldn't worry. Of course, there's always the option of returning it if you don't like the alternatives. My new Mac feels so snappy, though , I think I'd cry if I had to return it.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
I'm hoping Apple is working on a fix.

Do you have Windows/boot camp installed by any chance? Curious how many people have the same problems in Windows.

I'd recommend calling Apple, too. Either way, you're under warranty so I wouldn't worry. Of course, there's always the option of returning it if you don't like the alternatives. My new Mac feels so snappy, though , I think I'd cry if I had to return it.
Not Boot Camp or Windows of any kind. The system is pretty much clean as a whistle, only installed Office - that's when I started to notice the lines. I upped a pic of it in my last post.

I'll call Apple tomorrow.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Not Boot Camp or Windows of any kind. The system is pretty much clean as a whistle, only installed Office - that's when I started to notice the lines. I upped a pic of it in my last post.

I'll call Apple tomorrow.

I've just been getting bursts. Do your lines persist or are they intermittent? I don't think it's coincidence even if so many are getting different forms of artifacts.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
I've just been getting bursts. Do your lines persist or are they intermittent? I don't think it's coincidence even if so many are getting different forms of artifacts.
They do not persist, if I close the window they disappear. But if I open up another they re-appear in another place inside that window (sorry about my clumsy explanation).

I'm doing a total reinstall now, and changed the main HD drive (2TB). It was noisy as hell, and to my surprise when I took it out it's a Hitachi drive (!). I thought they were using WD Black series? Luckily I had one of them here, and the system is getting a fresh installment on that one. I'll keep you posted.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
They do not persist, if I close the window they disappear. But if I open up another they re-appear in another place inside that window (sorry about my clumsy explanation).

I'm doing a total reinstall now, and changed the main HD drive (2TB). It was noisy as hell, and to my surprise when I took it out it's a Hitachi drive (!). I thought they were using WD Black series? Luckily I had one of them here, and the system is getting a fresh installment on that one. I'll keep you posted.

I got a WD Black in mine. I expected a Green so it was a nice surprise. Thanks for all the info.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
I got a WD Black in mine. I expected a Green so it was a nice surprise. Thanks for all the info.
Yeah, those WD Black are getting good reviews all over.

Update on the situation: after the reinstall I have yet so see any lines appearing anywhere. The only hickup was after one restart the screen went black, and I had to push the power button to make it go to sleep. The screen lid up after waking the system up again. Strange thing. Let's hope things go smooth from now on.

I have no idea why the scrambled lines appeared, but after the reinstall everything works fine. Performance-wise this really screams!

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I have no idea why the scrambled lines appeared, but after the reinstall everything works fine. Performance-wise this really screams!

Well, that's good. I wonder if I should try a reinstall. Ugh, it's such a long process.

Question: are you running the exact same version of the OS as before the re-install?

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
Well, that's good. I wonder if I should try a reinstall. Ugh, it's such a long process.

Question: are you running the exact same version of the OS as before the re-install?
Yeah, exactly the same OS version. Since I changed the main OS drive, it was easier for me to motivate myself for the reinstall. The WD drive is so much more silent.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
ive been running dual displays since this morning with the 27" ACD and a Samsung monitor. no issues thus far.

just reporting

SkyNite

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
No problems here either

No problems after several weeks of heavy use. 3.33 GHz 6-core Westmere with 2 x 24" LED Cinema Displays running off of the 5770.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
OK. The problems are back again here, coming and going it seems. Instead of fighting with Apple about this I just ordered the Radeon 5770. I'm pretty confident it's the graphics card that causes this.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
Another update on the situation here. I called Apple Support, and they suggested resetting the PRAM (Parameter RAM), which I did. Haven't seen any anomalies after the reset. This might have been mentioned in other threads, though.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Another update on the situation here. I called Apple Support, and they suggested resetting the PRAM (Parameter RAM), which I did. Haven't seen any anomalies after the reset. This might have been mentioned in other threads, though.

My snow blips come and go. I can go a couple hours without getting one and then I'll one or two. I tried resetting my PRAM early on and it made no difference.

Can't Apple send you a 5770 as a replacement? They should. I'm curious to know if that will make a difference or if it's a driver issue that affects both.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
My snow blips come and go. I can go a couple hours without getting one and then I'll one or two. I tried resetting my PRAM early on and it made no difference.

Can't Apple send you a 5770 as a replacement? They should. I'm curious to know if that will make a difference or if it's a driver issue that affects both.
After talking with Apple I cancelled the 5770 order, they said they will send me a replacement if this problem continues. Got a case number I will be referring to when giving them another call tomorrow. The "blips", as you say, comes and goes here as well. I smell a driver update on the horizon.

seanhoytphoto

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Seattle, WA
Snow!

I have the new 6-core, 16GB ram (2x8GB) and 5870 card. My monitor is a 30" Dell WFP-HC with dual-link. Randomly, I get a noisy screen (snow) that can only be fixed by shutting the screen off and back on, or unplugging.

Attachments

• mac-pro-snow.jpg
    mac-pro-snow.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.