2010 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wes1856, Jan 25, 2010.

1. wes1856 macrumors newbie

I was just about to order an '09 Mac Pro until I realized (duh) that new ones will likely be announced Wednesday. Any idea on changes in configuration (assuming i7 will be an option)? How much have prices changed in the past?

2. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

What makes you so sure?

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Finally, a new 2010 Mac Pro thread. And no, I'm not being sarcastic :p

I've been waiting for quite some time now and I'm not sure how long my patience can last at this point....though, I highly doubt it will be released on Wednesday. :(

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

likely 100% to 09 mac, but with 6 core gulftown cpu and mobo that supports them.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

It seems it will be similar to the '07 systems in terms of what transpired as far as features go (same board, new chips). But this time around, the boards will have different firmware that adds the microcode for the new processors in order to work (unlike the '06 and '07 systems, where the firmware was identical).

6. TennisandMusic

I simply cannot fathom a 6 core single processor model that only had 4 ram slots. If they do that, Apple is insane. Hopefully we get a new board.

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I highly doubt the next MP will come out till a good motherboard to fit the Gulftowns comes out.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

You can hope, but I wouldn't bet on it. Seriously. Changing the microcode and placining the new processors on it is the cheapest thing they can do to get a working system. It's systems engineering in it's most basic sense, and really starts with Intel's methodologies. Same socket, chipset and ICH components comprise the base system. Other items can be added/changed, but those can't, as there's no replacements.

They could replace something here or there to update features (i.e. adding 6.0Gb/s SATA, but that means additional parts and a board re-design, as the ICH's SATA controllers are only 3.0Gb/s), but given the MP's market, I don't think it will be financially viable for Apple to do so. Not until the next system (2011, which is a Tock cycle = new architecture).

9. Xeocon macrumors member

I too am at the brink! Can't wait for an update.

I'm wishing somthing will be announced on the 27th, but I can't see it happening. Perhaps a silent update within a week after the event?

At least once this tablet (or whatever it is) is announced, we'll move closer to seeing the 2010s appear.

10. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Wait for the Mac Pro 2010. But I wouldn't expect a !BANG! for the buck in this years Mac Pro either. I don't believe that Apple is going to announce a new model this wednesday. I bet on mars !

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Any predictions of release date? I have a wad of cash with Steve's name on it (and an empty desk with two lonely 30" displays):(

12. Xeocon macrumors member

Lonely 23" Aluminums here...

13. PurpleLogix macrumors member

PurpleLogix

14. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I know it was a good choice getting rid of the lame duck '09 quad, but man, I'm feeling the pain without a workstation. The iMac just isn't the same you know :rolleyes:

15. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It's already been said that Apple would only have to do minor adjustments to the current logic boards and code to make them Gulftown-ready. If you were saying that the MP won't be released until a fitting motherboard comes out PC-side first, remember that Apple has had an exclusivity deal with Intel going for new chips through the past 2 generations of MP :rolleyes:

Hopefully a deal will follow through soon, I can't hold out much longer without a main machine

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

There may be a few new PC boards, but the primary components (LGA socket, ICH and chipset) will be the same as what came out on the first LGA1366 boards. Existing board will work with a microcode update, and will happen (it's cheaper for other board makers to do this as well). Additional parts can be added, such as USB 3.0 and 6.0Gb/s SATA via other chips to newer high end boards (which will be evident in the MSRPs too).

In Apple's case, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do a re-design. It all comes down to economics. Maybe a part here or there will get swapped out that's compliant to a new spec (same package, just soldered in place of the '09's USB chip = no re-design, or PCB re-work), such as USB 3.0. But not much else could be done that won't cost more to produce other than the component cost.

The Gulftowns will be evil enough, as they're not going to be cheaper than the current Nehalem parts used. I actually expect one of two things:
    1. The cost will go up if the clocks remain the same per model point
    2. The cost will be similar (small increase) with lower clocks per model point (base, mid, top end).

17. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

In either case, the update should bring the prices of the '08 models down, so an octad may be in my future. I just cant sit around much longer. You know it's bad when you get close to pulling the trigger on '06 craigslist models :rolleyes:

18. Xeocon macrumors member

Are the 09's really that bad? I honestly don't think I mind paying a bit extra just to get the machine in time for Uni (lat Feb.)

I'm doing Photoshop and video editing on it. This audio problem on the 09's should be resolved semi-soonish in 10.6.3? I guess if the 6-cores come out with higher clocks for the same price, I'll feel stupid. If they are higher priced, I don't know if I'd regret purchasing an 09.

19. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The 2008 systems were great for what you got at the price they were and compared to what else was available for their lifetime.

The 2009 systems are poor in comparison to other hardware, the features they could have had and their price.

The 2010 systems could be great again, but it seems unlikely much will change.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

IMO, the '08 is the machine to get. :D Now, and even when the 2010's do ship, as the value won't return to the levels of the pre '09 systems. The CPU'
    s are expensive (certainly won't drop lower than the current parts, and given the changes, will be higher clock per clock given the added cores and die shrink). Intel has to pay for the new fab tech and facilities.

Now consider Apple's after high margins, and getting higher, according to the front page today (up to 40.9% now from 37.9% same quarter last year), it doesn't look good. :eek: :(

I'd go ahead and get the '08 while you can, as they've been available so long, the stock has to have dwindled by now. And when the 2010's hit and users see they're not the best solution/acceptable value, the remaining 3.2GHz '08's (refurb store) will clear fast, and you run the risk of losing the opportunity. As you can still get extended Apple Care, it's worth it, even at the current price. ;) I'm not even sure the price will actually drop on the '08 refurbs, given Apple's penchant for high margins. :rolleyes:

1. The pricing of the '09's killed the value previous Intel MP's offered.
    2. There are other technical issues as well, not just the overheating per CPU % usage/power increase/performance loss thread you're aware of. DIMM slots for inexpensive RAM upgrades, RAID (software and hardware both), eSATA, and a few other issues exist as well (solutions tend to be much more expensive than users should have to deal with). If it's left stock, it will be fine (save the thread mentioned), but given you're into video editing, you'll need to improve bottlenecks inherent in the base systems with additional RAM and RAID to improve HDD throughputs.

Simply put, you won't get higher clocks + 2 additional cores for less money. NWIH. As I mentioned above, the best system to get is the 3.2GHz '08 Octad in the refurb store. Seriously. They're easier to work with (and cheaper), and don't have the issues the current MP's do (and the 2010's to follow, even if OS X is straightened out).

BTW, there's no indication 10.6.3 will fix the issue from the repaired list available. :rolleyes: :(

21. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The only problem being I have $2499 saved :rolleyes: I don't know that I could afford an '08 model with such *modest* funds

22. Xeocon macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

I understand from a professional standpoint, being bottlenecked is a big no-no if your looking to output at the fastest rate possible. I myself am a student. For me photoshop will be the priority and video editing secondary. For video editing I want to be able to work at a reasonable rate. Doesn't have to be ridiculously quick, just fast enough to feel like I'm not sitting around waiting for the computer to keep up with what I'm doing creatively.

I'm already on a tight budget, so I wont be looking to do any other upgrades apart from a bigger HD, graphics card and more RAM.

I'm from New Zealand. I've been checking the refurb store here for 2 months, and not 1 single Mac Pro has popped up, let alone a 2008 model.

I'm kind of in a rut, I either buy a rip-off 2009, or not be able to afford a 2010 at all.

23. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

my 2.6ghz mac pro 2006 is still chugging along

Though apple's dropped bootcamp support... :mad:

All I really want is a decent video card for PC prices.

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

Oh. OK, you've an excuse then... :D :p

Maybe a used system if you can inspect it prior to purchase (ideally still has Apple Care on it), otherwise you're likely left with no choice but to get an '09 Quad, preferably from the refurb store as well.

I didn't know you're in NZ, as the 3.2's I refered to are available in North America. I've no idea about other markets.

You can do software RAID (logic board + OS X) when on a budget. Without it, your system will be slow with drive access, particularly with video editing.

Just make sure you have a backup, as you'd need one with a single drive anyway. If you don't, you'll eventually get burnt. So do yourself a favor, and plan for enough HDD's. Seriously. You'll thank yourself one day. ;)

25. Xeocon macrumors member

Oh yeah sorry I didn't imply you should know I was from New Zealand. Just sucks we don't have the numbers to get a solid pool of refurbed Mac Pros available!

So if you were in my situation, would you pull the trigger on an 09?