Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
It wasn't the RAM. A Genius and I ran some test by our selfs and think we found the problem. We manually switched the graphic card to Intel and experience zero beach balls running Adobe Master Suite. We ran the Nivida card, same thing. We put it to Dynamic Switching and boom. Beach balls everywhere.

I'm 100% sure it the Dynamic Switching between graphic cards. I think Apple needs to find a graphic card that is just as good if not better to replace these in the machines.

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
UPDATE: So they replaced the logic board on mine the other day. The new one booted up fine, took it home and it worked for a good few hours. And then it froze.

Even though the kernel panics happened less often, they still happened, and in Windows 7 too. Took it back to the same store again today after an hr of 'diagnosing the problem' they offered to replace it with a brand new one. They gave me back my intermittently-working old one till the new gets here, approximately 2-3 weeks from now as it's a high-res 15" and coming BTO from China.

Let's hope at least that fixes it.

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
UPDATE: So they replaced the logic board on mine the other day. The new one booted up fine, took it home and it worked for a good few hours. And then it froze.

Even though the kernel panics happened less often, they still happened, and in Windows 7 too. Took it back to the same store again today after an hr of 'diagnosing the problem' they offered to replace it with a brand new one. They gave me back my intermittently-working old one till the new gets here, approximately 2-3 weeks from now as it's a high-res 15" and coming BTO from China.

Let's hope at least that fixes it.

They are doing the same thing for me. My doesn't kernel panic so they let me just use the one i have till the new one comes it.

highADP

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Seattle, USA
Wondering if this problem died down or people already got over it cuz I noticed that people complained about this less often than before. Also, does anybody know if this problem tends to occur in the i5 or i7 more? I'm planing to buy a new MBP next week. Just need some statistic. Thanks!!

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Wondering if this problem died down or people already got over it cuz I noticed that people complained about this less often than before. Also, does anybody know if this problem tends to occur in the i5 or i7 more? I'm planing to buy a new MBP next week. Just need some statistic. Thanks!!

I have no clue. Look at the first page of the thread posted above. People list there specs.

AlexTain

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Freezing Issue Fixed

Hi, Just thought I would post an update.
Apple store replaced all of my internal components in my Macbook Pro (except the hard drive). So far, so good. No freezing. Fingers crossed that it lasts.
Well done Apple.
Alex:)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Hi, Just thought I would post an update.
Apple store replaced all of my internal components in my Macbook Pro (except the hard drive). So far, so good. No freezing. Fingers crossed that it lasts.
Well done Apple.
Alex:)

Wow everything except the HD? Why not just replace the entire Mac?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I have the same MBP. Worked for me. Apple store appointment?

I have the 17", not 15".

It appears that it's installing for all systems with ROM < .B0A. I got mine a few weeks ago, so it may be just updating the older machines.

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
Alright, it's been a week or so since I got my replacement mac and it's been smooth sailing so far (no kernel panics at all :) ).

I only have the graphics update installed and haven't installed the EFI update just yet, but will do so very soon.

It's funny though, i went to check the warranty of the new one online and it said the purchase date hadn't been registered. I sent in my invoice for them to do so and they (mistakenly?) reset the warranty to the day I sent in the request, I pretty much got ~3 months of extra warranty for free.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
my mbp is the B0A version (the one that supposedly isnt compatible with the update), and guess what? i just ran software update and it showed up for me! will let you guys know what happens in a few! :)

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
my mbp is the B0A version (the one that supposedly isnt compatible with the update), and guess what? i just ran software update and it showed up for me! will let you guys know what happens in a few! :)

no freezing errors anymore! i used to have a few second beachball every now and then, but after doing the firmware update, i have experienced NONE! :)

abrasive

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
i still experience the same random instances of freezing, but the hang time is now quick enough that the cursor doesn't have time to beachball before it's already passed. just a random hitch here and there now. theyre on the right track, but i hope there is more to follow in the efi update department.

20LEGEND

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Very, very disappointed with my first Mac. Freezes all the time - more than my previous Windows 7 laptop which froze like twice in 7 months. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.