2011 Macbook Pro 13.3 Overheating *VIDEO*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked4u2c, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Wicked4u2c macrumors member

Well, I must say that I am really disappointed with the current 2011 Macbook pro lineup. This was my first Mac, I must say that I was really excited to finally own one. As I started using it, I noticed how hot the laptop was getting and how loud the fans were. While I was typing a simple E-mail, my palms were getting really hot and was a very uncomfortable feeling. I've been around friends who have own previous models and all have been very quiet and also fairly cool.

I started to get curious so I started reading the temps and it was a staggering 90c degrees! This was just while web browsing, having iTunes loaded and just doing normal day to day stuff. I immediately went online and did a Google search for "2011 Macbook Pro Overheating". I come to find out that it is a common problem. What was most disappointing to me was the fact that Apple is fully aware of this problem and has disabled Turbo Boost on the 13.3" Core i7 while running Bootcamp. So technically speaking, your better off buying the Core i5 model as it will run faster.

I decided to return the laptop, I feel it's deceiving to buy a product that really doesn't perform at it's full potential (It's like buying a Ferrari and only be able to go 60MPH). My batter life was also terrible, I was lucky if I got 3.5 hours under normal web browsing. I think this had a lot to do with the fact that the fan kept spinning at full speed every 2 minutes.

I hope this post doesn't come off as a flame, but rather constructive criticism on Apple's design to improve their products. I truly believe that Apple needs to redesign their Macbook Pro lineup to accept modern processors that run a lot hotter compared to when the Macbook Pro was first introduced. The fact that it has no ventilation in the bottom like every computer out there poses a huge problem with newer processors. I understand the aesthetics portion of the design, but I would much rather have a few small vent holes to keep the processor running cool and maintain a longer life for the hardware.

Lastly, before anyone say's that I got a "defective" one I want to say that this was my 2nd 2011 Macbook Pro as the first one was returned due to the same problems. Here is my video of my experience - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_azMBStJnY

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Your fans didn't kick in at all. The lowest mine ever go is just below 2000 rpms. When it's hot, they're in the 4000-6000 rpm range to cool the CPU and GPU.

3. Wicked4u2c thread starter macrumors member

My fans never kicked on until I reached 90c. Also, in the video the machine was COLD. I know I didn't demonstrate it in the video, but once it got to 85c-90c it seemed to just stay there forever making the laptop very hot.

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

This is "normal" because Flash is such a CPU hog. This is why you don't want Flash on mobile devices. Imagine how hot an iPhone would get and how fast the battery would drain.

Get SMC Fan Control and manage things. But basically, I avoid Flash HD for long because I don't want to damage my battery from heat exposure and god knows what other stress is put on the system with excessive heat.

EDIT - I like to have SMC Fan Control set to 2400 RPM most of the time. Then, if I'm doing anything hot, I'll crank up the RPM because OS X won't crank the fans till it's too late. You want to be ahead of the game.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Fans kicking on to keep it in the 80-95c range is normal. There are countless threads about this.

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

^ This return your MacBook Pro its faulty.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Really? It's worked great for almost three years, using the 9600 for photography and graphic design. But I guess I'll just take your word for it. :rolleyes:

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Your iGPU (decoding the flash video) and CPU are on the same chip. Things will get toasty when both the CPU/GPU are working hard on chewing 1080p Flash.

How do you know Turbo Boost is disabled? as far as i can recall they work fine on the 15/17" models.

9. brentsg, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

brentsg macrumors 68040

If your fan was going full speed every 2 minutes, it was flash killing your battery. The fan spinning is negligible, but the reason the fan needs to spin is not.

I'm not having any of your issues with my 2011 13". It's running cooler than my 08 model, which was a champ. You didn't "overheat" anything. You stressed it hard and it got warm, but within normal specs.

You just aren't recognizing the load you're placing on it.

I did notice tonight that iStat was showing my fan at 2000 RPM when it was clearly around 6000 while doing a video encode. CPU temp was low 80C range, dipping into the 70s.

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

turbo boost works flawlessly across all 2011 models, but not under windows.

11. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

why does everybody find it okay that their computers run at insane temps? It is because they will upgrade them in a year and dont care about the longevity? The SB processors are creating a TON more heat than the previous models. I am going to load the same video the OP used on my wifes 2010 2.4 CD2 and see how high the temps get.

12. rmitchell248, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

Okay, the same video that the OP is showing on a 2010 CD2 2.4 processor in 13 MBP my max CPU temp is 62*. That is in 10 minutes of 1080 video with my mail program open and writing an email in a small window. The OP sees 91* in OSx with no other programs open.

I also never saw over 20% CPU usage (out of 200%) so dont tell me that I am missing the load that I am placing on the CPU.

I am tired of people saying this is normal and how all macs are. Fine, the temps are within spec of what the processor can handle but it has gone from the temp that the computers before 2011 ran at only 3-5% of the time to the temp that they run at 80% of the time. My 2011 I7 15'' get so ridiculously hot working on a word file that its embarrassing. The fans go from 2000-6000-4000-6000 ect ect every 30 seconds.

I think its time for people to stop looking at only the maximum temperature that is seen and start using the thing between your ears and notice how often it sees that temperature and how little the process is that causes it! The op's computer may not have been overheating but it certainly is running far too hot for what is being done.

If the computer is running at 91* it is using more energy than my wifes computer at 62*. Bottom line is that they have the same battery and the 2011 will not last as long on a charge. It will also be louder as the fans will have to kick in sooner.

There is no excuse for it and the Apple nutswinger "this is normal" line is just a way of saying I am unable to comprehend the difference between loads on the computer. If he were running handbreak for an hour straight, yes this 91* temp is normal but its not for youtube.

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Are the temps insane?

What do the design engineers at Intel and Apple say about the temps?

For that matter does anyone have the operation temperature design parameters for these computers/CPU/GPU?

I am asking because I am about to buy either the 15" pr 17" with an external display.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You're comparing two completely different architectures.

15. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

why do you think I even posted it LOL. I was comparing the SB to a CD2.... LOL

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

...so somethings...like how they handle load and thermal envelopes...are gonna be different...

The OP might also just have too much thermal paste installed. The 13" models also have an even smaller enclosure than the rest and have only 1 fan. The 17" has the largest enclosure and therefore rarely has any thermal issues. Apples to Oranges.

17. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

The reason that I am calling them insane is that it is requiring 6000RPM of fan to maintain 90+ degrees. 6000RPM fan on a MBP is incredibly loud! I use my 15'' 2.2 with an apple display and the fans come on and off very loudly and very annoyingly when doing light tasks. Run the youtube video that was posted here on the 15" and your fans will run 6000RPM the whole time. That is annoying when you are watching a video. The previous models did not do this. I had a 17" 2010 and a 17" 2009. Both performed with much better temp control.

18. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:I really dont know if you think this is ground breaking info that you are providing? This is why it is not acceptable in the "top" machines in the market. The entire cooling system should have been redesigned for these processors. The need for the fans to operate at such high rates to manage these processors is a joke.

19. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Heat issues with the MBP seem to pop up every revision (at least since the uni-body design).

The consensus is its not an immediate problem, but i agree...i've had too many laptops fail prematurely due to on-going thermal degradation...may never be a issue with the MBP, but my guess is the sloppy thermal paste from stock WILL eventually compound the issue.

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I agree, bitching about it on forums does nothing to rectify any real problems, though is does help to promote perceived problems.

Complain to the manufacturer if you want a product fixed or improved, not to other end users.

If every end user did this when they had a problem, products would be improved and so would user forums!

21. ztrafe macrumors member

On My MBP 2,2 2011 the fans newer kicks in when i the IGPU activated on Flash. But on the 6750m They are around 4000-6200RPM watching flash video.

22. borisiii macrumors 6502

It seems odd that yours got that hot, although not out of line with other stories about 2011 MBPs I hear on MR.

For comparison, I ran the same test on my MacBook (late 2008, 13" Aluminium unibody, 2.4GHz C2D, 9400m, 4GB DDR3). I booted from cold and went on the same YouTube video at 1080p in full screen. The highest the temperature got to was 63 degrees, and most of the time it was at 60 or 61. The fans did not kick in - they idle at ~2000rpm, and did not budge for the whole 10.5 minutes. CPU usage was 16-17% the whole time. The only application that was open besides Safari was Mail.

It's strange that a machine that is so much older, and supposedly so much less powerful, didn't bat an eyelid while the newer model broke into a sweat. I'm holding out for a hardware redesign and Ivy Bridge before I will even think about getting a new one.

23. ztrafe macrumors member