2011 MacBook Pro - Should I return/exchange it - 2 HOT 2 NOISEY

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrwonkers, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I have had my Custom Build 2011 MacBook Pro for exactly 2 weeks today - I have called Apple to arrange a return exchange for the machine as today is the last day in the 14 Day Return period - They are due to pick it up mid next week.

I have really enjoyed the speed this machine has to offer but the excessive heat and noise [compared to my last 2010 17" MBP] are starting to annoy me.
    I would ideally like to exchange it and try my luck a second time, my concern is will things really be any different.

I have installed the 10.6.7 update to address the known locking up under load issue with this model - between 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 I cannot discern any real differences in the MBPs operation. [other than under 10.6.7 the machine will not lock under wiki test scenario null dev x 8 + discrete card activated]

Annoying things -

Discrete graphics card active means - noisey noisey fans between 3700 - 6200 rpm fan activity.

VLC [this problem is occurs with either the integrated or discrete graphics modes enabled - watching standard def mkvs = 3500 - 4700 rpm fan activity

Just browing the web in either Firefox or Chrome and the fans sit at about 3000 - 3500 rpm

iTunes in coverflow mode sometimes/not always makes the fans have spasms and spin up very high...

There are more annoyances I may edit this post and add them later...

I am fairly confident the machine is acting within normal operating conditions -and that it is not faulty just noisey. I am afraid that this is just noraml for this model and an exchange will not make much if any difference.

I have till next Tuesday/Wednesday to torture test this machine and see how it holds up....... Let the experiment begin.

Thoughts ???

2. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

You are getting a new one.

If your replacement has the same issues, then either stick with it or get a refund and buy something else.

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Three things to say:

1) It's normal but can you post up a screenshot of you temperatures at least? iStat Pro widget does the job nicely. If the temperatures are going above 90ºC for those normal tasks then return it ASAP. But temperatures within the 60-85ish ºC are perfectly normal.

2) Use gfxcardstatus to control when you need dynamic or integrated graphics. For instance, Chrome/Firefox will toggle dynamic graphics when you use Flash. Use gfxcardstatus to slap that back down to integrated graphics.

3) If you are an expert/enthusiast, then you can try reapplying the thermal paste in your Macbook Pro. You'll get optimal performance but don't screw up. There's a really resourceful thread somewhere here that'll teach you how.

When I use my MBP to play SC2 on Ultra, it's like a jet taking off. The temperatures are around 80ish degrees celsius but after bit, I don't notice it. I'm too into the game or whatever task I'm doing and it runs smoooothly. However, I am worried that the constant heating and cooling of my machine will could lower its lifespan and the spinning of the fans at such high speeds could wear down the bearings.

4. mrwonkers, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Max temps under heavy load sit at about 87 C - 90 C or so once the fans have got things under control by spinning at 6200rpm [not at home now so can't provide iStat captures]. I have the option to cancel my replacement if after my testing I determine the machine is not operating within normal or acceptable parameters. I have worked b4 as a certified Apple Tech and although I could easily replace my CPU heat goop it is not something I am inclined to do should further issues arise as this may void my warranty. Like you I am concerned that if this model of MBP is designed to run at high temps in this way that this could shorten the machines lifespan and overall effective operation. Damn you Apple, always choosing form over function - Quad Core CPU and Toasty GPU's in a slim pretty enclosure maybe wasn't the greatest idea - time will tell....

edit : and I have been using gfxcardstatus since I got the machine.

5. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I use a combination of gfxcardstatus and thermal paste replacement, which I have yet to do. But my temperatures RARELY reach 90ºC. I've played Starcraft II, dev/null'd a bit, and handbraked. etc.

Only time it ever reached 90ºC was when I was testing the CPU using some program.

I think I got lucky with the thermal paste issue but perhaps this is what's bothering your machine. Btw, if you do a good job, there's no stickers or anything that will alert Apple authorities if you voided your warranty or not. If you make a mistake... carefully disguise it? heh.

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

switch to sdd to reduce heat and noise & use the gfx app to keep it on intel hd when browsing the web.

Get a laptop cooler and see if that helps.

If thats not good enough go buy acer.

7. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Holding off on buying an ssd until the verdict on vertex 3 drives comes in.

As for your suggestion of buying an "Acer" uhhh... I'd rather find the dirtiest stinkiest bum in the world and drink their vomit.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Earplugs?

Seriously, this machine is so much less noisy than my 2007 model - and that one is still trucking along. So for the person who is concerned that the fans spinning when they need to will shorten the life of the computer, I wouldn't worry about that.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

OP must not have owned the 2006 Core Duo models or the 2007 Core 2 Duo models with 65nm CPUs and 90nm GPUs. Their temps went past 100C easy and that was 'within spec' according to Apple.

10. Blipp macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. You've got a quad-core processor running at a higher wattage than the 2010 MBPs so if you bought this thing expecting it to run cooler/quieter than previous models then you were simply wrong to expect such thing. The machine is functioning as intended (after the 10.6.7 release), if the noise of the fan is really such a big deal to you then having a quad-core mobile powerhouse can't be all that important. Fix the thermal paste yourself or get a smaller/cooler laptop. Your replacement is going to be just as noisy and hot as your first.

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Seriously... too many of you are concerned about your fans when in fact, they are just doing their job! It's better to have a loud fan that works than a quiet machine that will die in a day or two.

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

To me it sounds like the fan noise is excessive. Even if you compare it to other 2011's I haven't heard of this much noise.

Your replacement I hope is better, good luck!

13. ztrafe, Mar 23, 2011

ztrafe macrumors member

Return it! The temp in my MBP 2011 2,2Ghz is like 32-34C idle and 37-44c surfing the web. 45-55C watching flash content. And the fan newer spins up when watching MKV 720-1080p (On VLC the CPU usage are 0% when watching video/MKV/720p/1080p). :)

My previous MBP 2011 was runing very hot. 6200RPM when watching Flash! My new MBP is always around 2000RPM. Around 4000RPM when stressing the CPU to 100%

On 6200RPM on max Load my MBP is about 69-70C so it is a bit high. On 3000-4000RPM on max load my Mac are about 80c. I think you should return it.

14. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Just to be clear, you are stating with all cores running full/max load your fans only run between 3000-4000rpm which maintains a temp of 80C ?

What is the ambient temperature when using your 2011 MBP and what model do you have?

I expect if you run Handbrake encoding a 1080p or 720p source your fans will sit around 6000rpm and maintain a temp of around 85-88C, I am very curious if you could possibly try this and let me know. Regards from Australia

15. ztrafe, Mar 23, 2011

ztrafe macrumors member

Hi, I tried it.

The ambient temperature is about 22c...

I have now stressed the CPU 100% about 30 minutes which maintains a temp of 78-80c @ 6200RPM. The Computer Could maintain 85c @ around 4000RPM. The Fan maxed @ 4200RPM under the test and i had to force the fan speed up to 6200RPM.

I will now test Handbreak! The CPU temp are now around 37-40c

16. ztrafe, Mar 23, 2011

ztrafe macrumors member

17. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Thankyou very much for your time and doing those tests. It looks like mine may be going back after all :( And so the waiting for a new MacBook Pro begins all over again...

18. ztrafe macrumors member

Your welcome :)

19. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

I am totally waiting dor ivybridge, gope its a lot cooler than sandybridge.

20. nrmillions macrumors member

my 2011 MBP is also extremely hot and extremely loud. the CPU temp hits 96 degrees celcius within seconds if i try and load up a game.

21. brentsg macrumors 68030

The difference here could simply be that his was running from the integrated GPU during the test and yours was not.

22. ztrafe macrumors member

23. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

after updated I haven't broken 88/89, before max was 91.

24. dime21 macrumors 6502

Huh????? No! This is a brand new machine, under warranty! It's like if you bought a brand new car, and the engine was making some weird noise - would you remove the cylinder head and the oil pan and take out the pistons in order to re-torque the bolts, hoping for the noise to go away?? Of course not. Even if you manage to reassemble it without breaking anything, you've voided your warranty now, and spent countless hours of your own time to fix a problem you never should have experiened.

This laptop is no different - take it back to where you bought it from, and complain. The price you paid includes a guarantee and a warranty. Time to use them.

25. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

As for the heat shortening its lifespan I don't think we should worry about that. My office has three 2006 Macbook Pros that are still being used daily for video editing and Hand break conversions. If an older 2006 Macbook Pro can handle the daily thermal stress for five years I'm sure the newer models can do better.