2011 MacBook Pros Crashing Under Load?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lengthy discussion thread on Apple's discussion forum reveals an issue that some new 2011 MacBook Pro owners have been having with their new machines. A MacRumors discussion thread also mirrors some of the complaints. Forum user lithast describes his situation:
    There's been speculation that the issue is related to the graphics driver or power management, and it seems the issue is reliably reproducible. A wiki has been organized to document the issue. Apple is reportedly aware of the issue, but no reliable solution has been provided.

Article Link: 2011 MacBook Pros Crashing Under Load?

2. hectadavid macrumors newbie

very interesting, my new 13inch pro has occasionally frozen up after lock-up. wonder if there is any correlation? anybody know if apple would do anything if i called?

3. s0apgun macrumors newbie

4. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

I have not had this problem on mine thankfully but I will have to do some load testing tomorrow. Hopefully for those affected, this can be fixed with some sort of software update.

5. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

good to know. I'm definitely gonna wait to see how this turns out before I recommend them to my parents

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Oh well, should have bought a PC.

Just kidding, calm down.

7. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

...heat...

to all the naysayers: told ya.

firmware update on the way...

Edit: or 10.6.7 will adjust this issue

8. -groovatious- macrumors newbie

Wow, definitely glad I stuck with my 2010 model and didn't upgrade.

9. Jswoosh macrumors member

I haven't any problems yet either for it freezing however I have noticed that while watching 1080p youtube videos my 13" i7 tends to have the fan running after the second or third one I watch.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well that's no good. Its a Pro machine. Its suppose to be under load :confused:
    2010 ftw

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. cmaier macrumors G5

Issues here. It's happened running handbrake and running Civ 5 under Steam. Seems to be triggered or happen coincidentally around when I switch Spaces (A couple of times it froze up in the middle of animating switching between spaces), but I suspect that's just some interaction with the switch from discrete to integrated graphics (or vice versa). It's frozen up around 6 times since I got my 17" 2.3GHz/8GB/512SSD last week. In all but one case the mouse cursor keeps moving. I seem to be able to ssh in (I didn't try it the first few freezes though).

For those who say they haven't seen it, there is a test using a compile with photobooth running that they've posted in the apple forums; every person who's tried it has had the problem.

13. mike2732 macrumors member

No problems here:

2.3 GHz 15"

But I know why! I have disabled "Automatic graphics switching" and this is confirmed to fix the problem.

14. zwilliams07 macrumors member

2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz here.

I haven’t had any problem yet, it does tend to get warm but that is about it. I’ve ripped a few DVDs with Handbrake with no issue. Apple will probably address this with a firmware update to get the two fans to run faster than the current settings.

15. emaja macrumors 68000

No problems with my 13" but it is probably just a 15" issue.

This reminds me of the first gen MacBooks that would shutdown under load if the temps were elevated. It turned out that the temperature sensor was not calibrated correctly and a firmware update fixed it. Mine was one of the models affected and it worked perfectly after that.

Just a thought.

16. macduke, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

macduke macrumors G3

macduke

No problems here with my ThunderBook. I've pushed this thing as far as I can get it to go. Max settings in Portal and Bioshock, rendering 1080p video in Premiere Pro and doing all sorts of other fun things in Photoshop (like editing 18mp RAW image files, Illustrator, and InDesign CS5 while it's working. It's a beast of a machine. Only time I see a beach ball is when my external hard drive wakes back up when I'm connecting over the AirDisk server and when the Flash plugin crashes in Firefox. Otherwise it handles just about anything I can throw at it and then asks for more. I'm beyond happy with it's performance so far and so far have no reason to believe that this machine won't be my workhorse for years to come.

Too bad for those who have machines with problems. If there is a specific way to get this to happen, let me know because I'd love to test it. I'll download whatever software or test suite does it. Hopefully it's just a software issue for those involved, but seeing how my machine gets a beating without issue, it seems unlikely.

Edit to add: this wouldn't have anything to do with OS X running 64-bit mode by default on these new systems, would it?

17. Negotiator74 macrumors newbie

Negotiator74

Of course this is found to be an issue now... I just ordered my new MBP on Saturday.

18. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Waiting for Lion to be released before I jump on these new MacBook Pro's. Hopefully all of the kinks will be worked out by then.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my guess is it is the same crap that been a problem for a while. That is Piss poor application of the thermal paste.

20. Nobita macrumors 6502

I heard that if you turn the "automatic graphic switching" off, it'll fix the problem. No?

21. cmaier macrumors G5

Go to: http://mbp-freeze.wikispaces.com/

See "how to re-create the crash."

37 pages on the apple forums - everyone who's tried it seems to have the issue.

22. PAPO macrumors 6502

I haven't noticed anything (see below in my sig) but I always keep mine bellow 65° C with SMC fan control I don't normally need more than 4000 Rpm either

23. cmaier macrumors G5

It doesn't seem to be temperature related - disabling automatic graphics switching (which generally makes the temperatures hotter) seems to solve it for most (but clearly not all) people.

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

I built my own PC 3 months ago (I do not do laptops for I get them for my job). It has not crashed or frozen even once. Obviously - no viruses (it's Windows 7)

25. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Why is it only the new range that seems to be having all the problems?

Home Sharing, Locking up? Why wouldnt the older models have these same problems?

Is it because of the new i7/5/3's?