2011 MBP don't work with home sharing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duffer6, Mar 10, 2011.

?

Does your 2011 MBP allow you to connect to Itunes using an IOS device?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2011.
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. duffer6, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

duffer6 macrumors 6502

Ut oh Houston we have a problem. Update: I have now including a poll. I would be curious to see how many new 2011 MBP owners are in the same boat as the below members of this forum.

see the apple support thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2767177&start=0&tstart=0

below is a quote from the OP on the Apple website. This looks to be a potential widespread problem:

"Just wanted to pass along my experience with a new 17 inch MacBook Pro quad-core. They don't seem to play very well with Home Sharing. Picked mine up at the Apple store on Friday. Set up Saturday, and at first all seemed well. Was able to stream to my Apple TV 2nd gen just fine. Then, later in the day, although the Apple TV could see the name of my iTunes library, it wouldn't connect to it, or sometimes, would report that "There are no movies in this library". I tried every solution I could think of, but no dice.

Apple phone support were great, but couldn't diagnose the problem. They had me do data capture to send to Apple engineering. Took the MacBook back to the Apple Store. The very helpful Genius there was able to reproduce the problem on the store's network with an in-store Apple TV. A replacement maching was offered, and we tested the new machine before I left. Same result. Brand new iTunes library with only 6 songs in it would not stream to Apple TV, and iTunes could not be controlled with other iOS devices. So, refund for now. The folks at the store were really great though, so at least it wasn't a bad experience.

I've notice two other people in the "Using iTunes" forum reporting the same problem. In all cases Airport base stations were the networking equipment being used. I expect if this is a widespread issue, some sort of update will be offered.

My question is, are any other new 2011 MacBook Pro owners having the same issue?"

2. bamf macrumors 6502

It seems odd that this would be limited to only the new MBP models. I'll have to try Home Sharing this weekend on my 2010 and see if it works to my ATVs.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think Apple updated iTunes to 10.2.1 and improved Home Sharing according to the change log. If you haven't updated yet, I'd recommend you try that and see if it helps.

4. duffer6, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011

duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 2010 MBP and a 2011 MBP and the 2011 won't work and the 2010 works without issue. I think it is due to the unique OSX build for the 2011 MBP. If you read the thread it works on the 2011 then breaks when you quit and restart Itunes. This could be a big issue.

Updated to 10.2.1 and IOS 4.3 on Apple TV and Iphone 4 and still no go. Any other MBP 2011 users having the same issue?

5. MrFlynn macrumors member

Same issue here. It refuses to sync my library to either of my Gen1 AppleTVs. My other systems can sync with them fine. I've tried totally killing itunes (including prefs and core services) and reinstalling clean. I've tried rebuilding the itunes library. I've tried getting rid of .plist files. Nothing works. Best case is it works for 20 minutes, and then stops working again.

Theres also another thread on MacRumors about it somewhere.

6. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr. Flynn I feel your pain. I hope Apple fixes this soon!!!

7. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Same here, 2011 MBP with iTunes 10.2.1 and ios4.3. Can't connect to media library. Also having trouble with my remote app too not being able to connect

8. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here MIke. Can't connect or only temp connect to the Apple Remote App. Very frustrating.

9. MrFlynn macrumors member

Guys in the Apple discussions link at the beginning of this thread, a user has opened a case number with Apple and we are trying to open new cases with apple that reference that same case number so Apple can recognize that this is a product line build problem. When the user "WJ" posts his case number, it would help to call apple and reference that case number telling them "Im having this problem too."

The only thing left to try is a full system wipe and to start over. I may try that tonight, but Im at work and use this machine for everything I do.

10. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i have been having same issue everything is fully updated running 10.2.1 and apple tv are 4.3 as well as the iphone i set up home sharing and it works fine until one of the devices is turned off. If i turn off the comp or apple tv they wont reconnect when turned back on i have to go in on my mbp disable home sharing and reenable it for it to work.
    :( this really is annoying i hope they fix this soon

11. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Zombie,

Log your complaint with Apple and point them to the Apple thread on this issue. The more people who complain the more resources will be put on this to resolve the issue.

12. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

yea i will because it would be great if this could get fixed quickly.

13. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

For those voting yes, try quitting Itunes, restarting Itunes, connecting with Iphone IOS using Apple Remote or Apple TV and try to access the Itunes library. You actually maybe able to access the library once again but it will only last about 10-30 seconds prior to breaking and it will continue to spin its wheel looking for the library.

14. braindead5400 macrumors regular

I've never been able to connect the remote app to my computer. From day 1 it would show up, I'd type in the code and then it wouldn't ever connect. It isn't just on airports either as I tried it on my boyfriend's router as well.

15. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

ive tried quitting itunes powering off each device powering on the only thing that reconnects it is to re log in to home sharing on itunes on the mbp.

As a clarification mine connects and will hold the connection for hours until i power down one of the devices and then power on then i have to configure to reconnect again.

16. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Zombie, I have had the above happen as well. Driving you crazy yet. I am beyond nuts on this. As you know we all love to tinker with our Macs and there is almost no problem I can't remedy on my own. This one is way beyond me and it defies logic. I just don't get it.

It is like someone in the cloud is turning off and on homesharing freely like a light switch. I know that is not the case but it feels this way.

Hopefully a resolution is on its way soon.

17. JTToft macrumors 68040

This makes no sense... I cannot connect to the iTunes library on my 2011 MacBook Pro - not through Home Sharing on another computer, not through Home Sharing on my iPhone, not through the regular library sharing, and not through "Remote" on my iPhone.
    But it works great the other way around. My MacBook Pro can connect just fine to another computer's itunes library.

I will definitely be contacting iTunes Support regarding this.

18. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Make sure you go to the Apple Support link in the first post. There are two case numbers, one on page 6 and one on page 7 that you can reference. Should make your life a bit easier since those two cases are exactly what you are experiencing.

Good luck.

19. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I had this same freakin problem on my 2011 MBP and I got to work some how. Still the home sharing icon on iTunes comes and goes, as I have to disable and enable it everytime I want home sharing to work.

20. NickyV, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

NickyV macrumors newbie

]I have the same problem. The Apple TV2 loses the link every time either my MBP or the Apple TV itself sleeps or shuts down. In most cases, by turning off and on again the home sharing, it rights itself 75% of the time. The other 25% it needs the plug pulling and to start again. Curiously, I've also had to authorise the computer again twice on occasions to get the link back up again.

This is something different, but is there anyway to 'skip' down the list of music in the library? Everytime I restart and I want to, for example, choose something like Royksopp (yes, I have good taste! ha ha) I have to manually scroll through my collection. I have 65gb of music and it can take quite some time to get there...is there a quick way to get to the start of a letter whilst using the 'front row' style menus?

Thanks all.

21. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Mine was working. But now my Apple TV 2 wont let me use the photos from my 2011 MacBook Pro as the screen saver. I don't have any issues trying to stream music or video across. Just having issues with the photo sharing portion. It will lose its link when I try to update them.

22. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

From what can tell, I only have this issue when I try using my iPhone 4 with the Remote app. I can see mine and others in the Shared list in iTunes.

23. sydenham, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

A few things you can try, although you have probably already tried them. In Itunes go to the Advanced tab. Select Authorize Audible Account. Also in the Advanced tab select Turn On Home Sharing. Enter your Itunes account password. You will also have to do this with the Apple TV as the new ones only let you access music and movies from one account. Is it possible you have surpassed the 5 computer limit in Itunes? If so you may have to deauthorize one of the computers to make room for your new Macbook Pro. One last thing, I noticed the new Apple TVs seem to work better with an ethernet connection. Good luck.

24. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

25. sydenham macrumors regular

What doesn't work? You haven't said what your problem is.