2011 MBP w/ Imperfection on housing? (Pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blkonblk17, Mar 1, 2011.

1. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

Haven't even had a full charge cycle on it yet from how new it is.. I was looking it over as I was using it today and I noticed when viewing the left palm rest area under the control button there is a tiny little stress mark on the actual aluminum. I tried taking a picture with a magnifying glass to show you guys but doesn't come up that well. Funny thing is if you look at the MBP from the left hand side in an angle or directly on top of it you don't notice it at all. However, when you look at it from the right in a slight angle it shows up like a sore thumb. I'm taking it back tomorrow to get a new one, just thought I'd share..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Looks like the scratch from a watch wristband to me.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hmm, that's odd, especially how it can only be seen in certain spots.
    I have a small area that looks like that on my left top corner of the lid, but it doesn't bother me. It kinda reminds me of a rub mark from a bracelet or something.
    Also, you're sure it's just not dirty?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I wouldn't take it back over that. It's cosmetic and not that noticeable. I think taking it back for that nit-picking. Chances are after a while of use, it will get scratched and a little dirty anyway.

Returning it for that will just add to the cost of future generations of Apple products that they will be forced to pass on to us.

I say don't worry about it and enjoy it.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. It might not be from that, but that's what it looks like.

Why don't you just get a Moshi Palmguard, which will cover it up and protect the palmrests from inevitable future cosmetic damage?

6. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

That so looks like a watch scratch to me, perfect place and the marks are just like they would be back n forth.

I put Invisible palm guards on mine to stop anything like that

7. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought originally but 1. I don't wear wristband or watches on my left arm. 2. When you look at it closely you can definitely tell it's an imperfection in the actual aluminum.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about rings? Rings can make that kind of scratch also.

You have the ability to see it better than the rest of us. If you take it back, be prepared to have them reject your request on the grounds of it being user damage. However, you don't really have anything to lose.

9. blkonblk17, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011

blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Positive, not dirty. Just bothers me when I paid $1,200 for something you know..

Don't wear a watch or wrist band on my left arm. So not too sure, this is my second MBP my first one I had for the past 2 1/2 years with nothing like this. This is only a few days old..

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Then take it back to Apple.

The MBP is pretty cool because some scratches/scuffs are only seen at a certain angle. I have a small gash on my lid which can only be in certain lighting.

So long as you know you didn't do it, then take it back.

11. blkonblk17, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011

blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Miles, thanks for bringing that up I forgot to mention that. I don't wear a ring either. Kinda odd to me when I think about it.

I honestly don't like returning things. Especially when it involves driving to my nearest apple store 30 min drive then I have to pay for parking. However if I pay $1,200 for something I expect it to be in perfect condition.

12. pricej636 macrumors 6502

That doesn't look like a scratch to me. That looks like the aluminum has been stressed. Do you feel a dent or anything?

Honestly if its been like this since you purchased it, I would take it back. If it were a 300 dell or something I wouldnt worry about it, but a 1200 dollar laptop better be pretty much perfect.

13. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I would not return it. What if you get a new one with 4-5 dead pixels? Now you're really screwed.

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That looks very similar to what happened to my 2010 MBP after I dropped it (while it was open :eek:) in a Speck hardshell. They have since replaced the display assembly and topcase (where any noticeable damage was) for dust under the glass, and because the control key was non functioning. The marks that both the OP and I have/had are the result of stress being put on the aluminum.

Pic:

[​IMG]

Edit: and yeah, it had to catch the light just right to be seen.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

How can you expect perfection when the product is made by imperfect humans? It's such a minute scratch, why worry so much about it? If it was a huge glaring scratch, then by all means return it. But this? I disagree with returning it; I could live with it easily. Have a little grace.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just don't look at it from the left side.

Cost-effective solution for everyone ;)

17. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The bodies are made by perfect machines. Only when a human handles it (to assemble it) do these imperfections occur.

18. Cr0nus macrumors member

Cr0nus

I hate ignorant comments like this. Apple charges hundreds of dollars more for their laptops in comparison to PC equivalents because of Apple's unique service which meets the customers every want. You are a fool to not use this service since you are paying such high costs for it.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

LOL... how does a machine get made perfect then?

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Or put a sticker on it.:p

But seriously, if it's going to bother you, return it.

Or, if you could live with it, take it to the Apple Store and perhaps a "genius" could document that there is manufacturer-caused cosmetic damage on it. That way, if you have a problem with it in the future, they won't accuse you of damaging it yourself and refuse warranty repair.

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I disagree with your opinion of my comments being ignorant. What exactly are you saying I have no knowledge of?

When I bought my truck and paid $35K for it, I noticed a small ding on the bottom of one door and railroad dust on a few spots. They were only noticeable when I got really close to them to see. I didn't take it back to Ford and demand a replacement truck.

I just realize that nothing is perfect and I give a little grace to people and companies when it's warranted. A minute scratch on a MBP, to me, isn't worth trying to get a replacement because I know that over time I will end up putting some minute scratches in it myself. And I also know that the more people do things like this, it drives up the cost for companies to exchange and and produce new machines and then the returned ones that have to sell at a lower price. That eventually adds up and translates to higher costs later on to everyone.

22. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would return it again...

23. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

24. blkonblk17 thread starter macrumors 6502

rofl!!

25. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i would ponder taking it back....

issues some others have posted

-dead pix's?
    -overheating issues?
    ect ect

if yours is running great,what happens if you take this one back and new one has these issues???

i would take it in apple store,and rather then getting another one...ask for a couple hundred off...might just work