Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi, I bought my Imac in July. Back then I told myself a few times I should wait until september-october for the refresh but waiting was what I had been doing for almost 2 years. My specs: 27 / 3.2 i5 / 1 To FD / Mouse / Trackpad. Some say the speed and graphic bump is no big deal when others say that's what happen where you're too impatient. I do lot of MS Word, Safari, Mail, light postprocessing in Aperture, LR, DxO Optics Pro. No gaming at all if you call Angry Birds or Pinball Machine gamin. Maybe I just need to be reassured. :). What you think other pre-upgrade iMac owners?

Have une bonne journée:D

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2013

Well.. i did wait and just ordered an iMac. Mostly bacause of the graphic card.
I wanted to see if they would put a gtx780mx in it. They didn't.. It got gtx780m.

So if i would have bought the earlier iMac i wouldnt be to sad about it.. You got a good computer there.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Well my 2007 model was getting slower and fuller by the end of last year, so I pulled the trigger in November. Now, nearly a year later, I can't say I regret it a bit. I think I've saved quite a bit of time over the months just in beachball avoidance.

Again, it's the old difference between 'want' and 'need' - if you needed a new computer back in July, then there's no argument, you did the right thing. If you really, really wanted an iMac back in July, you probably did the right thing as well. If you just felt like splurging some money on a new computer, you might feel that you could have waited, but that would be the case at any point in the refresh cycle.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My specs: 27 / 3.2 i5 / 1 To FD / Mouse / Trackpad.
You don't say how much ram you have, but that is easily upgradeable if you need more. For what you are doing your machine is quite capable. The late 2013 model wouldn't net you that much more performance.

Well my 2007 model was getting slower and fuller by the end of last year, so I pulled the trigger in November. Now, nearly a year later, I can't say I regret it a bit. I think I've saved quite a bit of time over the months just in beachball avoidance.
You're quite right on want versus need. You needed a new computer and you bought it almost a year ago. I feel you did the right thing for you. I want a new iMac, but it hasn't quite hit need a new one yet. Although I expect the want to switch to need withing a few months or so.

bobtennis

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
My specs: 27 / 3.2 i5 / 1 To FD / Mouse / Trackpad. Some say the speed and graphic bump is no big deal when others say that's what happen where you're too impatient. I do lot of MS Word, Safari, Mail, light postprocessing in Aperture, LR, DxO Optics Pro. No gaming at all if you call Angry Birds or Pinball Machine gamin.

Again, it's the old difference between 'want' and 'need' - if you needed a new computer back in July, then there's no argument, you did the right thing. If you really, really wanted an iMac back in July, you probably did the right thing as well. If you just felt like splurging some money on a new computer, you might feel that you could have waited, but that would be the case at any point in the refresh cycle.

In my opinion, for what you do with your computer, your system should be way more than adequate for quite some time. I doubt you would have seen or noticed any improvement in your day to day performance with the changes that came with the latest iMacs, except possibly the ac internet speed if you also buy a new router to take advantage of the ac standard (but "n" speeds are pretty fast anyway for most things), or a Fusion/SSD drive.

One easy thing you can do to improve the responsiveness of your system, when/if you feel the need (or want), is to add a SSD drive via USB 3.0, or Thunderbolt adapter and make it your boot drive. This will enhance your user experience quite a bit, as quick boot times and and almost instant program openings are very nice! Only benchmark numbers would show any difference in perceived performance from an internal SATA connected drive, and you would not need to open the iMac to install it. The perceived performance increase is very noticeable from a HDD. But, that is a nice to have change, certainly not essential.

The only way to avoid that feeling of "gee, my machine is now last year's model!" is to commit to upgrading annually with new product announcements. But, that makes no sense from either a technical or, especially, financial standpoint, unless you absolutely need some improved feature (as opposed to want), or you view your computer as a toy over a tool. You will forever be chasing your tail!

Be happy with your purchase, it's a nice fast computer and should serve you well into the future.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi, I bought my Imac in July. Back then I told myself a few times I should wait until september-october for the refresh but waiting was what I had been doing for almost 2 years. My specs: 27 / 3.2 i5 / 1 To FD / Mouse / Trackpad. Some say the speed and graphic bump is no big deal when others say that's what happen where you're too impatient. I do lot of MS Word, Safari, Mail, light postprocessing in Aperture, LR, DxO Optics Pro. No gaming at all if you call Angry Birds or Pinball Machine gamin. Maybe I just need to be reassured. :). What you think other pre-upgrade iMac owners?

For your uses you'll see zero improvement. The 2012 was the major upgrade. The redesign, leagues-better GPU options etc. The 2013, while an improvement, is incrementally better. I'm so glad I got the 2012 last year. I'm now one year into my upgrade-cycle! Two to go!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
In my opinion, for what you do with your computer, your system should be way more than adequate for quite some time. I doubt you would have seen or noticed any improvement in your day to day performance with the changes that came with the latest iMacs, except possibly the ac internet speed if you also buy a new router to take advantage of the ac standard (but "n" speeds are pretty fast anyway for most things), or a Fusion/SSD drive.

One easy thing you can do to improve the responsiveness of your system, when/if you feel the need (or want), is to add a SSD drive via USB 3.0, or Thunderbolt adapter and make it your boot drive. This will enhance your user experience quite a bit, as quick boot times and and almost instant program openings are very nice! Only benchmark numbers would show any difference in perceived performance from an internal SATA connected drive, and you would not need to open the iMac to install it. The perceived performance increase is very noticeable from a HDD. But, that is a nice to have change, certainly not essential.

The only way to avoid that feeling of "gee, my machine is now last year's model!" is to commit to upgrading annually with new product announcements. But, that makes no sense from either a technical or, especially, financial standpoint, unless you absolutely need some improved feature (as opposed to want), or you view your computer as a toy over a tool. You will forever be chasing your tail!

Be happy with your purchase, it's a nice fast computer and should serve you well into the future.

Would the OP really notice a marked improvement with an external SSD considering they have a Fusion Drive?

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Would the OP really notice a marked improvement with an external SSD considering they have a Fusion Drive?

I think the "1To FD" was a little confusing. Took me a while anyway! But yes, you're quite right IMO, the FD will be quick enough already that an external SSD will not be that noticeable.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

You are fine with the needs you have your older model is good.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Let's hope so!

Hi again. Sorry for the confusion. Yes: FD is for Fusion Drive. I ordered the iMac with the stock 8 gig RAM with upgrading it in the near future in mind. I take WilliamG quote "I'm so glad I got the 2012 last year. I'm now one year into my upgrade-cycle! Two to go!" for me. I had not seen the "issue" this way. As for the computer itself, I had minor quirks with Mail and Safari being slow but it has been worked out now thanks to Apple. :rolleyes:

bobtennis

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013

MrGimper, I stand corrected! I took it (incorrectly) the OP had a HDD 1 TB, I missed the "FD" notation! And, no, an external SSD, either with USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connection, would not show an improvement over the "FD", which is connected via SATA III internally!

Sorry if my mistake was misleading. I still feel the OP's system is more than adequate and he would not see or feel any improvement in use experience by holding out for the newer models, as most posters seem to agree.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
MrGimper, I stand corrected! I took it (incorrectly) the OP had a HDD 1 TB, I missed the "FD" notation! And, no, an external SSD, either with USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connection, would not show an improvement over the "FD", which is connected via SATA III internally!

Sorry if my mistake was misleading. I still feel the OP's system is more than adequate and he would not see or feel any improvement in use experience by holding out for the newer models, as most posters seem to agree.

I agree.... About 3 weeks ago I bought a pre-owned 2012 27" i7 3.4/24GB RAM/1TB FD/680MX 2GB .... There's nothing on this refresh that makes me regret it for one second.

In fact, I think the best thing about this refresh is that the 2012 models will be available pre-owned even cheaper now :)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I regret that i bought in April a 21.5" iMac 650M 1t Fusion Drive and i cried a lot but today i ordered a 27" 3.4Ghz/1T Fusion Drive/780M :))

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
I waited even though it was long past time to replace my '07 model. My key reason was the graphics card.

If it were not for that the determining factor would not be the hardware though. It was the fact that using my Discover I can get 5% back in Q4 rather than 1%.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
No regrets at all with my 2012 27" iMac! The performance difference is extremely minimal and it'll be the 2014 version that demonstrates huge gaps.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I waited until the mid-2011 iMac was updated to replace my 2009 iMac. Very happy with the purchase and I've had months of FCP X, which is something my 2009 iMac couldn't handle.

While it's always good to have the latest and greatest, you have to jump in at some point.

My new iMac works brilliantly with my newer Canon XA20. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weHEMrV-uv8

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The late 2012 iMac was (from time of announcement especially for 27 inch owners who didn't get one till December/January).

Well the late 2012 model was close to 10.5 months old. So a late September release isn't shocking.

I have zero regrets with my 27 inch late 2012 iMac 3.2 core i5 with 24gb ram and fusion drive.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
I love my 2012 IMAC

I had a 8 year old homemade PC that has had parts replaced here and there to make it a bit faster.

The 680MX with 2GB is a great card.

I waited for a year to get my IMAC and would have gone nuts waiting another 8 months.

Sassers

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I confess I had a bit of a regretful twinge, but objectively, my 2012 27" purchase (my first Mac ever!) was already more than enough for my needs. It's just that -oh, shiny new graphics card! more SSD options!- that caught me for a moment. Once I got over that, I can say I have no regrets - my iMac is robust, gorgeous, works flawlessly, and really is the desktop computer of my dreams.

I have a feeling with every refresh I'm going to go through that regret twinge until it's time to upgrade :D

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
I got my iMac in April, it's a 27" w/ i7 3.4ghz, 32gb of ram, 1tb fusion drive and 680mx.
I use it for work, I'm a mixing and mastering engineer and have logic pro x and pro tools 11 running on it all the time and use loads of plugins from waves and native instruments.
I also do the occasional video editing in final cut pro x and photo editing with Aperture. And of course the usual mail, safari, vlc...
The machine is a beast, I have never felt I needed anything more, and I seriously doubt I would notice the difference if I used the new iMac.
Even when working on big projects in logic and pro tools, with 100+ tracks loaded with plugins, I'm nowhere near the CPU or RAM limit, so what would be the point of having extra power if I'm not even using all the power I have now?
Enjoy your mac, and remember it's just a tool for getting things done ;)

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I've been a late 2012 27-inch iMac owner since January 2013. Unfortunately the fine folks at my local Apple Store completely screwed up my machine during a routine screen replacement back in August. They ordered a new iMac as a means of saying "sorry", but they ended up ordering the wrong machine. Currently in the process of getting a refund.

I'll probably end up getting a new high-end 2013 27-inch iMac to replace my original 2012 iMac. I probably wouldn't have upgraded otherwise. Although the graphics card is a welcome change.

Last edited:

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have not bought anything yet so technically speaking no remorse here. I will be now comfortable in getting a maxed out imac with the i7 processor, 16gb of ram, 3tb fusion, and 4 gb nvidia ge force card. I have been holding off since i sold my late 2009 model back in May this year, mainly for a retina display as I become accustomed to it on my iPhone, ex iPad 3 and Macbook pro.

Sadly I cannot wait for the next gen (especially the port revisions usb 3.0 and thunderbolt 2.0) as i am starting my post graduate studies soon and I cannot multitask well on my macbook pro. However should the next gen get a retina display at the same time next year i will be tempted to sell it, otherwise I am sticking to it given my old imac only had 8gb of ram ,a 512mb ati card and a 1tb hdd without fusion it should be a large improvement .

In answer to the thread my only remorse is actually the price hike from the previous gen when i got quoted for the 2012 model speced out i got it for $2,950.00 AU with the non customised base price retailing for $2,198.00. Now i got quoted for the new model for 3,200.00 AU with the base configuration retailing for 2,560.00 AU

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.