Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
What a race! One of the most exciting in years....JB might have stood a chance, but you have to feel sorry for Michael too, and the guy who screwed up with the wheel nut.

I was feeling pretty good about Button's race until the pit-stop fiasco. I blew fuse. "Fire that guy" were my exact words. In hindsight however, Button probably achieved his maximum. The Benz looked untouchable today. The Merc's speed is alarming, but they aren't on track for a championship yet. Different tracks suit different cars; McLaren should be strong in Bahrain. Hamilton is driving restrained but at least he's getting results. He'll need to win eventually in order to challenge for the title.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I was feeling pretty good about Button's race until the pit-stop fiasco. I blew fuse. "Fire that guy" were my exact words. In hindsight however, Button probably achieved his maximum. The Benz looked untouchable today. The Merc's speed is alarming, but they aren't on track for a championship yet. Different tracks suit different cars; McLaren should be strong in Bahrain. Hamilton is driving restrained but at least he's getting results. He'll need to win eventually in order to challenge for the title.

can "that guy" have his job back?

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Well here we are folks, the ultimate Macrumors F1 post ... :D

James Allen on F1 said:
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo this week sat down with the CEO of Apple, Tim Cook, for a two-hour meeting during a visit to the world famous Stanford University in California, where he was giving a lecture to students.

The heads of two of the world’s most truly global brands came together for a two-hour discussion to chew the fat on their respective company’s ideas and visions, as well as sharing insight on strategy and management styles.

Although the industries of racing and car production and consumer electronics and computers might seem far apart in many aspects, Montezemolo – who also met the heads of Google at the conference which took place in the heart of the biggest market for Ferrari’s road cars – found Ferrari and Apple shared several core values including “attention to the brand, exclusivity, attention to the people, attention to the environment”.

The Italian shared details of his discussion with Cook during the course of his talk to the audience of 600 students and afterwards said: ”I was impressed by his availability and openness. We’re building cars, they build computers. But Apple and Ferrari are connected by the same passion, the same love for the product, maniacal attention to technology, but also to design.”

Interestingly, Montezemolo also drew a parallel between the role he played in transforming Ferrari’s fortunes on his return to Maranello in 1991 on both the race track and in the road car division with that of Apple’s Steve Jobs, the company’s revered co-founder who died last year. In 1997, the year Jobs rejoined the company, Apple’s shares were worth just $3.19. The subsequent success of its computers, phones and tablets over the next 15 years meant its shares recently hit $644, with the company now the world’s most valuable. Montezemolo paid fulsome tribute during his speech: “When you’ve got a leader in a company like Steve Jobs, people have big respect and big gratitude for what he’s done.”

He was said to have gleaned an insight into Apple’s methods and goals and, according to Wired magazine, added in his talk to the students on his own management style and ethos: “Vision is something crucial for your people.” Give them clear goals, clear priorities and give everyone the possibility to grow up [internally].”

The meeting was described by Ferrari as “friendly”, as opposed to having any specific business agenda, although the discussion between Montezemolo and Cook is nonetheless bound to create some excitement in both industries.

Montezemolo’s chief F1 concern at the moment remains ensuring the team gets back to a more competitive level, Stefano Domenicali having revealed earlier this week that the president was “studying at first hand” the on-going process of changing the working practices and operations at Maranello.

Linkety linklink

It would be interesting to see some kind of "Ferrari+iPhone" deal [although the F1 team was sponsored by Acer last time I checked]. Very unlikely, I guess. I guess the meeting is more about Luca di Montezemolo posturing that he's Jobs-esque in order to boost his political ambitions and deflect criticism away from his management.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Yes, "that guy" can continue to work in the McLaren pits. He probably saved Button's race by not releasing him prematurely.

I've changed my mind. "That guy" needs to be sacked. 3 strikes and you're out!

McLaren needs to pick up the pace inside and outside of the pits.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've changed my mind. "That guy" needs to be sacked. 3 strikes and you're out!

McLaren needs to pick up the pace inside and outside of the pits.

Its not the guys fault it's designed as to not damage the car! Titanium shaft with an aluminium nut. If it was a titanium nut it would have been race over.

Really it's a design flaw I expect it'll be fixed for the home race

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Chelski confirmed as a new Sauber sponsor.

1335776625.jpg

I wonder if we'll see Didier Drogba falling over and rolling around the start grid in mock agony at the next GP? ;)

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Its not the guys fault it's designed as to not damage the car! Titanium shaft with an aluminium nut. If it was a titanium nut it would have been race over.

Really it's a design flaw I expect it'll be fixed for the home race

Keep in mind its sorta new tech. The nuts are fixed to the wheel for faster changes, they borrowed the concept from Nascar so you know it can't be that great. They're also not using the helium driven wheel guns this year either. That may have a slight effect on overall performance too.

Hopefully they'll sort it out for Spain this weekend. Or give it up. I read somewhere only 3 or 4 of the teams are using this system

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Keep in mind its sorta new tech. The nuts are fixed to the wheel for faster changes, they borrowed the concept from Nascar so you know it can't be that great. They're also not using the helium driven wheel guns this year either. That may have a slight effect on overall performance too.

Hopefully they'll sort it out for Spain this weekend. Or give it up. I read somewhere only 3 or 4 of the teams are using this system

It's such soft metal....Who hasn't stripped a alloy nut and thread...Whilst taking their time over the job...The pressure of doing it that fast has got to be intense, I hear he is "Shot" and won't now go near a real race situation.

A hard boot will destroy an alloy bolt or nut....And just a 00000.1 slant on the gun will strip the entire assembly...Tough work to say the least...

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
tomorrow should be very interesting race.
what a bizarre quali section!

I am curious to see how much lewis will be able to make up.
It's amazing how many mistake the team is making. Today's mess up was really unforgivable.

but they have to do something about the tyre situation. it's ridiculous that driver choose to start in the back to save tyres.
I understand it adds to the show, but they have to maintain the sporting aspects.

they should have one extra set of fresh tyres for Q3 that don't count for the race.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
tomorrow should be very interesting race.
What a bizarre quali section!

I am curious to see how much lewis will be able to make up.
It's amazing how many mistake the team is making. Today's mess up was really unforgivable.

But they have to do something about the tyre situation. It's ridiculous that driver choose to start in the back to save tyres.
I understand it adds to the show, but they have to maintain the sporting aspects.

They should have one extra set of fresh tyres for q3 that don't count for the race.

it was great! If you haven't seen it yet yer in for treat!

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I guess they can't 'discharge' the KERS system that easily??

Having an electrical spark potential near fuel fumes is not too smart.

Sounds like some adjustment to procedures is called for.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I guess they can't 'discharge' the KERS system that easily??

Having an electrical spark potential near fuel fumes is not too smart.

Sounds like some adjustment to procedures is called for.

yeh, probably a little too focused on the big win and got a little careless with procedures... my guess.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.