2012 iMac = Brilliant Design!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smoking monkey, Oct 26, 2012.

1. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I can't believe all the negative nonces!

The design is fantastic. It has 40 percent less volume, 8 pounds lighter (both good for the environment), less moving parts and a brand new screen design that will make the screens look so much better. I think this is the best design we've ever seen on an iMac.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'll have to ignore them. There's always negativity no matter what the design/product is.

3. bmunge macrumors regular

I agree.

If I was only concerned with specs and price I'd build a Wiindoze machine. Macs are supposed to be simplistic and beautiful and the new iMac succeeds on every level.

4. EPiCDiNGO macrumors member

EPiCDiNGO

The iMac needs to bring back the old huge style CRT screens (bigger is better, thats the American way isn't it?) :apple: ;)

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

In contrary .. Yes bring back CRT as display. Black is black, switching resolution does not induce blurry images, no lighbleeding BS. And I never had a LCD of any kind which lasts 10 years. All my CRTs did. Built to last. Just the way it's supposed to be.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes

Some people would like some features that would make it impossible to have the current design. I understand that frustration. They are more concerned about certain features then the design.

I like the thin look - very visually appealing.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I absolutely agree with everything said OP. Love the new design. :D

8. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I agree. I'm waiting for the benchmarks though. To see how the 5400rpm drives and new GPU's are on performance. But that's internals not design.

If people want computers that are just a screen with a 1-2mm computer behind you can roll up for easy transportation, not possible today. But you need stuff like Apple is doing now to slowly go on that path. So +1 to Apple from me.

9. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

it's called Apple Hate Syndrome. Basically you will hate on anything that is better than you if you contract this wide spread disease.

----------

But CRTs will kill your eyes and induce radiation on you as well as destroy the planet you live on. Your life longer or your Screen's life longer?

10. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I agree it's aesthetically appealing, however, it's done so at the cost of practicality, usability and upgradability.

11. Purant macrumors 6502

You forgot the non existent input lag. I miss CRTs as well....

12. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yea it is amazing! Wish they make a video or ad for it :D

13. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I don't like the extra rounded back. It's ugly from the side.

14. Ih8Bart macrumors newbie

Ih8Bart

Oh thanks for this thread. I'm getting tired of Kids with MHS, the Mac-Hate-Syndrom,as described above.
    And yes, I Love the New iMac too, and it will Look and work just Great in my Office!

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I see what your saying BUT the internals have been dictated by the design!

16. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

So.... It's an all-in-one?

17. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Reminds me of the wayward sister who we thought was simply overweight but when she slims down we find she's pregnant. What's that back all about?

8 pounds lighter, wow that really matters for a "Desktop". I suppose you're the kind of guy that sees a single flower growing in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust and remarks "isn't that pretty".

I'll stick with my 2011 iMac thanks very much and give this "porker" a miss. Let's hope for something better by 2014. :rolleyes:

18. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

The new design is indeed stunning!

I agree that the compromises made for the 21.5" is somewhat disappointing - but let's not forget it's still a really awesome high quality computer! If the heat dissipation in the 27" is good I'll love this design even more!

19. captjon macrumors member

Practicality - what is more practical than an all in one with a single cable coming out of it?

Usability - ditto

Upgradability - if you want to upgrade your computer don't buy an all in one!

If the new iMac doesn't suit your needs buy something different, or make a compromise.

i like the design, love the fact they dropped the disc drive, and a hybrid drive is very useful. My worry is potential problems with the screen.

20. Lankyman macrumors 68000

"All in One" but buy a separate optical drive - says it all really. If the label on the front read Heinz would you still be as enthusiastic? No I thought not. :p

21. VassilyTheSkin macrumors newbie

I love the updated design. It's a thing of beauty indeed and I even like the "rounded back" :)

22. kevsun92 macrumors newbie

Finally someone makes a thread about how good the iMac is!! Having been getting sick of all the hater's cOmmentS.

23. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

I agree and the hardware used is great wish had the money to exchange.

24. skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

and at the same time why not get an external 3.5" floppy drive, and even a 5.25" floppy floppy drive. Maybe even a USB 3.0 VHS or Betamax player as well :)

Optical drives are going out of date in case you hadn't noticed. I have had a Mac Mini for a year now and it has no optical drive and I have never even needed an external one for it. Yes a minority might want one sometime and for them there is the option of an external one. Why should the majority be lumbered with paying for something they don't need. Get with the times :)

Totally agree with original poster and think the new iMac looks great, though I think all iMacs look great :) Roll on being able to order a 27" BTO.

25. RoelJuun macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

What does all-in-one have to do with upgradability? So the former iMacs are suddenly not all-in-ones anymore?

I truly like the design, I truly hate having to pay Apple serious money for drive upgrades that they enforce due to the design. And the entry 21,5" iMac is just ridiculous, 5400 rpm, price has gone up and no way to configure a different drive...Then you have to buy the even more expensive iMac that you might not need in terms of graphical and processing power AND pay extra for the drive. Yeah!